Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Glove box removal

ArunAlec

ArunAlec

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Westafalia club joker
Anyone removed a T5.1 Glove box? I've got as far as freeing it but can't extract it! Not sure if it's the aux socket fouling or me just not having the knack. There's a YouTube video but that's not helped. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.

I should be cautious fiddeling arround that area while sitting in the passengerseat , triggering the airbag would be a blast....;)

T20 Torx screws along the top edge viewed with the lid open, similar along the bottom edge looking up from the floor.
Then remove the dash end panel, plastic trim tools are the best things to use for this. This panel has to come off as there is a plastic part that locks the glove box in place. If you remove the wiring plug from the airbag deactivation switch DON'T SWITCH THE IGNITION ON WITH IT REMOVED as this will bring on an airbag fail warning which cannot be reset without using in a diagnostic tool.

The glove box should than swing down and be removable.

Be careful not to let the door close if you only let the dash end panel hang on the wiring as it gets crushed between the door and the dash end.

Be careful of the very sharp edges of the metal work hidden behind this area.

Hope this helps.

Rod

T20 Torx screws along the top edge viewed with the lid open, similar along the bottom edge looking up from the floor.
Then remove the dash end panel, plastic trim tools are the best things to use for this. This panel has to come off as there is a plastic part that locks the glove box in place. If you remove the wiring plug from the airbag deactivation switch DON'T SWITCH THE IGNITION ON WITH IT REMOVED as this will bring on an airbag fail warning which cannot be reset without using in a diagnostic tool.

Be careful not to let the door close if you only let the dash end panel hang on the wiring as it gets crushed between the door and the dash end.

Hope this helps.

Rod
Thanks, sounds like it’s the plastic “lock” at the door end that I’ve not sorted.

It’s been a while since I did it but you just need to remove the 2 torx screws at the front and maybe rear of the glovebox and wiggle it out. It feels like it’s trapped but it does come out with patience and the right angle. There’s no airbag issues and you don’t need to remove any adjacent trim.

"It’s been a while since I did it but you just need to remove the 2 torx screws at the front and maybe rear of the glovebox and wiggle it out. It feels like it’s trapped but it does come out with patience and the right angle. There’s no airbag issues and you don’t need to remove any adjacent trim. "

@ArunAlec the above is not as so on my 63 plate T5.1 although I'm not saying that some are like that. If you are still having problems pop a note on here and I'll try to take some pictures for you.

Rod

From memory I think there is an additional torxs head screw at the rear of the glove box

My error I was thinking of a T6, it's an age thing! Sorry.

Hope this helps.

Rod
I can second that.
I forgetfully turned the ignition on with the airbag switch unplugged despite taking the key out of my pocket to do so.
A trip to a dealer ensued!!!
Alan

Hi Arun, are you all sorted now !

No need to turn of the air bag off, or remove the end plate, simply pop out the plastic covers for the four front screws undo the five torx screws pop out the aux cable front plate and disconnect the cable, wiggle the lid pulling slightly forward and she should slide right out.

Back