Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Go / no go decision time...help!

Is the bed on the 3 seater comfortable enough for a fussy sleeper? Is it long enough?

No not comfortable at all in its base form, the 3 seat downstairs bed is horrible to be honest. I slept on it for the first time a the weekend it was the most uncomfortable nights sleep in a long time. Took me 6 attempts to get it in the right place (and even then I failed) It has potential but it needs a mattress topper to be comfy I imagine. I see now why everyone has them.

Upstairs bed is fine though although it has a weird springy base which means if there are two people, when one moves the other goes up a little.

Should say though we are delighted with the flexibilty of the 3 seat, its great for passengers, our dogs and holidaying. Only challenge is finding a pod that goes on the floor rather than in the boot.

Thanks Matt, the bed is really my only concern with the 3 seater.

The kids will get upstairs so they are sorted, as is my wife who will sleep anywhere no matter how uncomfortable. However, I am really fussy and frankly if I can't see me being able to sleep on the bed then the 3 seater is out.

Do appreciate I will need a topper and this does seem to help for most people...but I suspect the 2 seat Beach bed is the best of all the Calis. In my heart that is the one I want as it meets all my requirements, including huge flexibility for adding pods. The trouble is it doesn't have enough seats to justify as an alternative people carrier compared to say the new Disco Sport (which is cheaper).

Only way to tell is to try one, so hoping once the T6 arrives I'll be able to get one on hire / loan for at least a night. Don't mind waiting, plan to keep the van for the long term so No 1 priority is making the right choice.

I've now realised that the reason I've put this off for a couple of years is that a perfect layout doesn't exist (e.g. 3 seat bench based on seat/bench design of the the 2 seat AND with flexible rear board).

Re pods for the 3 seat - I'd be looking into the Slidepods in more detail, or possibly something like the Maxxcamp compact models. Agree options are more limited though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only thing i would try is the width of the 2 seater. My GFs camper had a narrower bed and used to be very cramped for sleeping. I always felt wedged in. Full width is generally more comfy because you can move from my experience. Sadly I don't know how much difference the topper makes, I will be getting one once I've got roof bars.

The 2 seat version has a full width bed - partly using the storage box that runs down the side where the kitchen would be in an SE. So you get a full width bed which is lower, longer and flatter than the 3 seat.

You can add an extra seat behind the drivers seat (RHD) but when in situ it sits just where you want to put the table etc. for use as a day van. I believe leg room is also an issue as the rear board isn't flexible (i.e it doesn't fold in half like the multiflex board in the 3 seat) so the rear most bench can't easily slide back to create extra space for the seat.

Neither option is quite perfect IMO which is frustrating as a few simple changes in each (more comfy bed in 3 seat, more flexible rear board in 2 seat) would solve this.

I think I would miss the storage a lower bed would result in in the rear from having a 2 seat. However the fridge is a nice addition. Although I just bungee my waeco to the floor a fridge designed to fit does appeal.

Last edited:
BTW if anyone out there has an extra seat in the two seat Beach and can post a picture of how this set up looks, or thoughts on how well it works in practice that would be much appreciated

I agree with posts above. The 3 seater isn't comfortable as a bed, but then again I have yet to find any bed/seat which is comfortable. I've had a T2, T4 and T5 with different makes of beds etc and none are what I would call comfortable. You will always need a topper no matter which one you go for.

I have a zone sleeper and a gel foam topper combined which transforms the 3 seater into a sleep haven.

When you compare the versatility vs the 2, it's honestly a no brainer for 99% of people.

Also, if I was speccing a new van these would be the extras I would order:

3 seater
Diesel heater
Full climate A/C including rear
Parking sensors all round
Cruise
Sat nav
140 or 150 bhp
Manual

Avoid

180bhp engine - bi-turbo
DSG
Electric Roof
Electric Sliding Door

Keep it simple and there is less to go wrong. It is after all, just a camper-van. I dont think I could justify spending more than £35k on one of these vans. Getting to the expense of £55-60k I would buy a proper fully kitted camper.

But hey, each to their own.
Make the decision that's right for you and enjoy it. Had mine almost 3 years it's not let me down yet and I've been all over Europe and numerous adventures over here in Blighty too.

Last edited:
If you want a Day Van that you can sleep in - The Beach
If you want a Campervan NOT a Motorhome - The SE

There is nothing wrong with the DSG if you learn how to use it as it is NOT an automatic gearbox with a torque converter.
The 180 BiTurbo may and I say that advisedly, may have had a problem with the EGR valve and it is more difficult to replace, but I do not believe it is more problematic in other ways.
Electric roof, yes there are occasional problems but not that common compared with those that have no problems.
Electric Sliding - personally cannot see any advantage.

Basically, keep it simple if you wish and only spend £35k if you wish, your choice.

Definitely NOT my choice., and a fully fitted camper, sorry motorhome for £60k, yeah and park and drive with the HGV's and use once a year, sorry not something I would entertain.:thumb

If you want a Day Van that you can sleep in - The Beach
If you want a Campervan NOT a Motorhome - The SE

There is nothing wrong with the DSG if you learn how to use it as it is NOT an automatic gearbox with a torque converter.
The 180 BiTurbo may and I say that advisedly, may have had a problem with the EGR valve and it is more difficult to replace, but I do not believe it is more problematic in other ways.
Electric roof, yes there are occasional problems but not that common compared with those that have no problems.
Electric Sliding - personally cannot see any advantage.

Basically, keep it simple if you wish and only spend £35k if you wish, your choice.

Definitely NOT my choice., and a fully fitted camper, sorry motorhome for £60k, yeah and park and drive with the HGV's and use once a year, sorry not something I would entertain.:thumb

Some interesting thoughts Welshgas. But the only advantage with the SE is it has a hob and sink. Which can be useful, no doubt. But having had that sort of stuff in previous vans and knowing they weren't often used it doesn't seem worth the extra £££.

The beach does everything the SE does apart from cook my bacon and wash my plates. Luckily we own a Cobb and the dog does the dishes

Motor homes are becoming brilliant. There's never been such good choice and selections on offer like there are today. But yes it's not worthwhile if it spends 50 weeks of the year parked up.

Both the SE and Beach are great vans with their own merits. But for me, taking into consideration practicality and cost especially if you can pick a Beach up sub 35k. It's a great choice with fantastic day to day versatility.

P.s I'm not knocking the SE. It's the best vehicle in its segment at the moment

Last edited:
Aah, my SE does cook the eggs & bacon. Mobile coffee machine etc: etc: throughout the year.

If you could only choose 1 accessory then it must be the Heater, because that turns a California into a true All-Seasons vehicle.:thumb

I'm with WelshGas. Definitely go for a diesel heater. Its a must have option:thumb

+1 for the heater,

but if I want real heat I just sit my mother in law in the vehicle and ask her to breath out :shocked

one good puff and she'll defrost a snow drift

Good advice on the heater, even though we'll mainly use as a day van I still think it will change the way we use it and open up trips all year around. It's on my list of must have options 1. DSG 2. parking heater 3. Privacy glass 4. Awning. The nice to haves are the upgraded climate control, power latching boot and side doors, extra sliding window. Don't tend to use cruise and not fussed about all the electronics and gadgets.

...now if I can just decide how many damn seats I want

No 2 or 3 seat Beaches to go and look at anywhere near to me, and can't find anywhere that hires them either. Thinking I'll wait now until the demonstrators arrive in Nov...or I may just wake up one morning and think to hell with it and order the 3 seater.

So looks like I'm going to wait until I can see a T6 in the metal. Used is out as I want a factory fitted parking heater which seem to be pretty rare in the wild.
Yes a factory fitted parking heater is rare on used Beaches but they can be retrofitted. Few of us on the forum have had them fitted. Cost is around £1100 (possibly a bit more if want to use the Cali specific parts rather than generic vents & brackets). Not sure what the option price on factory fit is now but it was more like £2k a few years ago. Think Slidepods might even fit them?

At risk of being contradictory, a parking heater is only essential if you are going to forego the joys or otherwise of full facility campsites or even basic CL's, the majority of which offer EHU anyway.

The parking heater comes into it's own when you want to cut loose, pop out when it's cold and stop when you think it's nice to stop even if it's just a secluded lay-by somewhere .... (but, first read cautionary tales regarding dogging sites, unless you like that sort of thing).

This is me and just me, I would not want to be without anything that inhibits on that freedom, that is what I bought a Cali for.

Owen - it's a £1700 option and personally I'd rather have it factory fitted.

Jen - not contradictory at all and I agree completely. I won't be using the van for week long holidays on campsites at all, or for self sufficient touring (that comes later when I get a full Cali once the kids have flown the nest).

I intend to use if for (a) a daily drive and family car; (b) a day van (e.g. to provide a base/shelter/cafe/private facilities etc.) when we go of exploring for the day; and (c) as an occasional camper (e.g. so me and my son can take to the hills or forests on our bikes and just park up and stay the night, or two).

For that I will want heating, a small camping stove, a fridge or decent cool box and a loo.

In the bigger picture the Beach is up against a couple of SUVs and its ability to cover (b) and (c) is what has it a nose in front. I'm hoping the heater will mean we will do more of (b) and (c) throughout the year and give us better value for the extra we'd already be spending over the other two.

Just managed to convince my better half that my logic is sound on all this but still have doubts so feel free to let me know (anyone not just Jen) if I've missed the point of the Beach at all

I have looked at the beach as my "next time" buy. It offers me the ability to customise more of the living space. It was tempting but for my own lifestyle after counting up all that I "could do without" I came back to the SE, or the lagoon as the new, even more lean, version of the Ocean will now be called.

Re the parking heater..

If you are using it as your daily car its one of the nicest features, on a frosty morning there is nothing better than getting into a preheated van with the ice already melted on the windows & screen.

My van gets used as a mobile meeting room for work occasionally and a waiting room most weekends whilst one or more of the kids is playing football, I am happy to leave my 5 year old in it with the heater running playing on an iPad, there is no way I would leave her there with the engine running or even the keys in it.

It sounds like you have completely got what the Beach is about to me.
I use mine in a very similar way, daily driver and base for cycling trips, windsurfing etc. Do also use it for camping both weekend and 2 week trips.
The heater prob gets more use in day trips than when on a campsite. Having a warm and dry base to come back to and make a drink / snack in after a bike ride or sail is for me what the Beach is great at.
The difference I have to you is that I never have the need to carry more than 3 passengers so for me the 2 seater is ideal.
Ideally I would have got one with a factory fitted heater but was looking nearly new and they just didn't exist. £1700 is not to bad as an option price for factory fit. I have just checked a 2012 brochure and then the heater was a £1625 option (my earlier estimate was wrong, sorry).
On heating options a little publicised benefit of the climatronic (3 zone) system is that you can divert any residual heat from the engine into the cabin for 30 mins after you stop. Can be useful on occasions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would also recommend the heater, we picked up a used beach with the fitted heater in June and have used it more than I expected over the summer. I wouldn't want to be without it.

Can the heater be used all night? Will it respect the set temperature or is it going for full effect? I have had diesel heater on my last three cars and its great to have an ice free car in the morning, but using it while in car it gets warmer and warmer the full 30 minute run time.

Hi Kave, you have probably figured this out already, yes, the heater can be set to different levels and lengths of time. I havnt used it overnight yet but plenty of people have posted on other threads saying running it on level 1 overnight works well.

Great, the german pricelist says 120 mins of runtime but it is great to know that.

Back