Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Going from 20” back to standard

Hi,

I bought a t5 beach with 20” alloys, they look great, knowing nothing about wheel sizes I went for the van on looks alone. Having owned the van a while I am now considering the potential downsides of larger wheels. The ride does feel a little harsh and possibly need a bit more gas to pull away, or maybe I am imagining it, having nothing to compare it to, what do people think?

What is the stock wheel size that comes with the t5 beach 2015?

I’m thinking of getting some 17” black alloys, any ideas on suitability, what tyre size and any recommendation on where to get them from?

Lastly does anyone know what type of alloys I currently have and any idea what this set including the tyres could be worth?

Thanks very much!View attachment 62298
My T6 Beach came with 17 inch Cascavel on Continental Conti Van 215/60/17 tyres. Good comfortable ride but tyres seem to be wearing quite a bit.The wheels look smart but are a pain to keep clean just can’t get in between the spokes when cleaning.
Have now decided to upgrade my wheels to 18 inch on 255/45/18

F1CCA8D1-CF0B-42B8-83B2-75441D9A5F36.jpeg

My T6 Beach came with 17 inch Cascavel on Continental Conti Van 215/60/17 tyres. Good comfortable ride but tyres seem to be wearing quite a bit.The wheels look smart but are a pain to keep clean just can’t get in between the spokes when cleaning.
Have now decided to upgrade my wheels to 18 inch on 255/45/18

View attachment 62677
These are 255/45/18’s that were ‘diamond cut’ finish that I had stripped and painted from a previous camper. Removed the 17” alloys supplied on my Cali on delivery and put these on. A much better look in my opinion. And being painted they haven’t suffered the dreaded corrosion worm.E113983E-7411-41BD-9FD7-804BCFB27473.jpeg

Most important get the right size wheel and tyre profile. The standard VW Claytons are usually 215/65 R16 104T, these have a diameter of 686mm. You can comfortably go up to a 255/45 R18 with a diameter of 687mm and still be able to use the standard spare wheel (NB: your max size spare that fits in the carrier is 17" diameter 690mm). Despite them being popular and looking smart 20" wheels have issues; a profile 275/45 R20 has a diameter of 756mm, incompatible with any spare that you can carry unless it's in the boot! You'll then have to carry an injectable sealant and pump incase of a puncture, then likely cannot get the tyre repaired so have to bin it. Also 20" affects your speedo and mileage recorded, I have observed around 8% under speed compared with satnav - so you can easily break speed limits unless your careful e.g at 70 your actually doing 76! 20" is an insurance notice of modification - 2" beyond manufacturers recommended wheels. I have a T5 with 20" and plan to downsize & T6 with 18" that's perfect.

Most important get the right size wheel and tyre profile. The standard VW Claytons are usually 215/65 R16 104T, these have a diameter of 686mm. You can comfortably go up to a 255/45 R18 with a diameter of 687mm and still be able to use the standard spare wheel (NB: your max size spare that fits in the carrier is 17" diameter 690mm). Despite them being popular and looking smart 20" wheels have issues; a profile 275/45 R20 has a diameter of 756mm, incompatible with any spare that you can carry unless it's in the boot! You'll then have to carry an injectable sealant and pump incase of a puncture, then likely cannot get the tyre repaired so have to bin it. Also 20" affects your speedo and mileage recorded, I have observed around 8% under speed compared with satnav - so you can easily break speed limits unless your careful e.g at 70 your actually doing 76! 20" is an insurance notice of modification - 2" beyond manufacturers recommended wheels. I have a T5 with 20" and plan to downsize & T6 with 18" that's perfect.
It is possible to fit a 7.5"x18" rim with either a 235/50 or 235/55 tyre in the spare wheel rack.

It is possible to fit a 7.5"x18" rim with either a 235/50 or 235/55 tyre in the spare wheel rack.
Great, that's good to know thank you :)

@Hicup I have some standard 17” Devonports for sale if interested. I’m in Oxfordshire too, so fairly local.

Ah, ok, I’m beginning to understand - wheel design. It looks like there are plenty of 16” Clayton on eBay, the ones in the photo beneath look like genuine vw wheel design?

I assume that the bolts are all the same (or is that another can of worms;) and that the ones I currently have will fit?

View attachment 62489
Check your bolts, there are different lengths between T5 & T6 and may depend on brand of wheel fitted.

Great, that's good to know thank you :)
I tried it with an Amorak Durban wheel 235/55/18 104 tyre. 235/50/18 is a 102 load hence trying the 55 aspect.

I have 17’s and it rides as good as my 69 reg Jag so there’s no temptation for me to change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions to my original posting! I just thought I’d add what I ended up doing and my thoughts.

I originally had 20” on my 2015 beach. I then bought a set of Hancock tyres with only delivery miles on them 205/65/16.

It’s completly possible that having gone to the lengths of swapping wheels I have conviced myself that they will be different - but I really do think that they make the ride a lot smoother.

Another interesting effect (again possibly subject to my own bias) is pulling away in first gear is a lot smoother as well - less likely to stall.

Look wise - I think they look fine, but I have to admit no where near as good as the 20” which did look the absolute business!

So on balance, I am happy that I have changed and think that it has a definite benefit for the ride, downside doesn’t look as cool, but oh well, neither do I!

Will clean my Rivas up a bit and sell them on (mid range and mid wear tyres - starting price suggestions??)

PS does anyone know where i can get the vw center caps (the push on ones in the photo)?

Thanks again for everyone’s help.

633C6991-F460-436A-A703-1828AC523633.jpeg

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions to my original posting! I just thought I’d add what I ended up doing and my thoughts.

I originally had 20” on my 2015 beach. I then bought a set of Hancock tyres with only delivery miles on them 205/65/16.

It’s completly possible that having gone to the lengths of swapping wheels I have conviced myself that they will be different - but I really do think that they make the ride a lot smoother.

Another interesting effect (again possibly subject to my own bias) is pulling away in first gear is a lot smoother as well - less likely to stall.

Look wise - I think they look fine, but I have to admit no where near as good as the 20” which did look the absolute business!

So on balance, I am happy that I have changed and think that it has a definite benefit for the ride, downside doesn’t look as cool, but oh well, neither do I!

Will clean my Rivas up a bit and sell them on (mid range and mid wear tyres - starting price suggestions??)

PS does anyone know where i can get the vw center caps (the push on ones in the photo)?

Thanks again for everyone’s help.

View attachment 66336
Apart from VW, I've seen them on Amazon and eBay.

Hi
Went from Thunder 17's 235/55/17 to Palmerston 18's 255/45/18. Standard suspension.
The ride is a little firmer <which I like> but not a big change. The 20's I have driven in were a step too far for me. I liked the 20's aesthetic initially and was going to go that way before trying them but now I have 18's I'm really pleased with the look and the ride. For me you have to balance function with form and I feel this is a good compromise.
Equally it is a very personal thing to balance looking at a 'cool' van parked by the beach balanced against dreading that drive down a narrow 'bone rattling' bumpy lane, dodging potholes.
Equally I didn't want to look like I'd won the lottery and spent it in Halfords so went OEM. Its a very personal thing but in my view 18's work well, others may have an opinion on 19's which i haven't tried <maybe the ideal?> but 20's are to much look not enough function - in my view.

Palmerston 18's Inked.jpg

Hi
Went from Thunder 17's 235/55/17 to Palmerston 18's 255/45/18. Standard suspension.
The ride is a little firmer <which I like> but not a big change. The 20's I have driven in were a step too far for me. I liked the 20's aesthetic initially and was going to go that way before trying them but now I have 18's I'm really pleased with the look and the ride. For me you have to balance function with form and I feel this is a good compromise.
Equally it is a very personal thing to balance looking at a 'cool' van parked by the beach balanced against dreading that drive down a narrow 'bone rattling' bumpy lane, dodging potholes.
Equally I didn't want to look like I'd won the lottery and spent it in Halfords so went OEM. Its a very personal thing but in my view 18's work well, others may have an opinion on 19's which i haven't tried <maybe the ideal?> but 20's are to much look not enough function - in my view.

View attachment 66342
The Thunders will be spares with some winter tyres as well.

You can vastly improve the ride by replacing the standard shock and springs, makes a big difference imo.

Yep. That's a winter project. Just researching which ones to go for. I've been looking at KW Automotive Gmbh who seem to have good products and specifically developed for the Cali. Then the Bilstein as well.
Any advice? What are you using and your opinions?

Yep. That's a winter project. Just researching which ones to go for. I've been looking at KW Automotive Gmbh who seem to have good products and specifically developed for the Cali. Then the Bilstein as well.
Any advice? What are you using and your opinions?

Having spent quite a bit of time researching options I went with a H&R Coilover kit supplied and fitted by CRS Performance. There is a whole thread of info on the T6Forum if you want to have a read for research purposes.
If you want comfort but not bothered about going too low then the best option is to go for Koni Sports shocks with H&R springs, (several options available) giving the best in terms of ride/comfort.

Steve at CRS Performance is incredibly helpful and knowledgeable, cannot recommend him enough.

Hi

View attachment 66342
Blimey

Such a shame we have to endure such appalling, atrocious roads in the UK. If we were in Germany/Switzerland we’d all be cruising around on bling 20s without a second thought.

How low have you gone with them? What size wheels do you run?
About 40mm, only issue is rear mud flaps occasionally scraping if going up a steep incline

Six months, no issues. Have 275 35 R20 tyres.
Hi - sorry for the thread resurrection!

I’ve had twin adjusts and 20” wheels on the same tyres as you’re running, for a few months now and the ride is a fair bit harder than I expected! How’s yours? I guess I wanted that ultimate goal of good looks and comfort; but I must admit the groans from the front passenger seat are a bit annoying!

Also, does your door catch on the rear wheel when fully open? I’m running a 10.5 rear Rotiform, so pretty wide!

Does look awesome though!

Hi
Hi - sorry for the thread resurrection!

I’ve had twin adjusts and 20” wheels on the same tyres as you’re running, for a few months now and the ride is a fair bit harder than I expected! How’s yours? I guess I wanted that ultimate goal of good looks and comfort; but I must admit the groans from the front passenger seat are a bit annoying!

Also, does your door catch on the rear wheel when fully open? I’m running a 10.5 rear Rotiform, so pretty wide!

Does look awesome though!
I have 9.5J wheels and about 5mm clearance on the door but no issues. Running at 38 psi. Still no issues but at times I think I I’d like it a little stiffer. Ride is great and no problems with passengers.