Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Going minimal after many trips and lessons learned. Thoughts?

I hate the search function on this forum. When I search for what you have put in quotes, I get your comment in this thread only. Can you link it please?

Curious as to why you never use upstairs for sleeping?
Found lower deck easier, climbing up and down not so easy if too many beers mean a quick rush to the loo in the night also would them need another expensive topper to carry about, maybe should have started up top. Would be better as at moment when we use lower we need to top n tail too fit.

I’ve had the Cali Ocean since late 2019 - I know, unlucky! And although we’ve not yet taken it abroad, we’ve done quite a few nice trips and feel very grateful given it was a dream come true! But we did a classic beginner mistake and got a little over-excited on buying stuff.

Now we’re older and wiser. Getting better at packing the van. But also realising we’ve got way too much “stuff” that we need to tone down. Just an inflatable mattress for the bed. Massive comfy chairs that go behind the driver seat. Screens and more screens. Just getting ridiculous. Haha.

Opting for a minimal approach from now on. I mean, we’re not too bad. But we really need to slim down. Going to use the VW blinds for the spring and summer months we reckon. Remove the VW upper mattress and keep the Sea2Summit air mattress up there. Gonna keep The Wool Room topper. And the pillows and duvet. Chairs are going. Unless we go somewhere where we just camp out at and stay put, like Eskdale or The Quiet Site.

I don’t want to get a pop up tent where we dump all our stuff, but that’s what so many of you do, right? Here’s our current setup!

View attachment 80761
My question is, did you go through the same process and what stuff did you tone down? What solutions did you find?
Looking at your picture.
Windscreen thingy. The negatives of having one, in my opinion, outweigh the positives - got to store it, wipe it if wet, can't see out, make it dark inside the van, use a good duvet or van heater if cold. Use VW ones.
Awning thingy. I want to see the view, or talk to other campers. Don't want to hide away in a dark hole. If it's too windy, retreat into the Cali. Might as well have stayed at home!
Levelling blocks. How often do you use them? Get less fussy. Find a stone or piece of wood to go under wheel, then leave behind when you move on.
These observations are made by a mainly wild camper, who moves on every day, not a stay for the duration camper.

Back