Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First trip away lessons!

No_heroes

No_heroes

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I’ve realised until you get out on the road you don’t fully realise how amazing these vehicles are! Proper transformer! I’m sure this is all very obvious for the experienced California owners- but fresh in my mind!

I decided to get away and stay in a local campsite for my first night away and just get used to the process and experience. I thought I would post a few key idiot lessons and my experience.

Idiot lessons:
- I only carry a 10m electric hook up cable. Worth asking as you check in if any of the spaces have long distances to the electric point. I had to move after selecting a spot and it was annoying.

- Close the front blinds before you swivel the chairs! I found that it was very difficult to get the sun blinds down once the passenger chair was reversed.

- Precool the fridge! It takes time to cool down and no one wants warm wine.

- Headtorch. A lot of setup etc requires two hands and light! Especially when it’s dark and cold...

- Turn the gas on as part of your arrival routine. Not good to be fumbling around in the dark when you actually want a cup of tea!

- Cold and dark. I’ve read a lot on here regarding heaters etc. I’m currently camping in sub zero temps and the van is super warm and cosy. It’s a small space so very easy to warm up. Don’t be worried about the cold, go for it and use the van!

- Less is more. Keep it simple and minimalistic. I think this is key for enjoyment- the more stuff, the more faff and the more irritation!

Despite the minor issues, once the music is on, the van is warm and the wine is cold- what an great experience. Feels so comfortable and safe. I can really see how people build long relationships with their vans.

Couple of ‘gear points’: I have the Kampa electric heater. It’s amazing- get one!

Books! Take some!

Small Bluetooth speaker is essential for me for music and steaming radio.

Brandup black carpets throughout- essential!

Some pictures attached, not so useful as it’s very dark!

I just wanted to thank everyone on the forum for their passion and infomation and here’s to many more travels and trips away in the Cali!

E8AC221D-016D-4851-8EBC-AAFA1E6E8A7E.jpeg

0F3CC88C-A448-4CD6-9B22-8E904CE86761.jpeg

5B605B54-34FC-4F61-8CBE-FDE78DDADFC8.jpeg

You have expecrienced the usual issues , there are some others witch you will find out on the next trip...;)
The best way to get to know the Cali is to get away in it :thumb
We all have diffrent needs but as you say "keep it simple" is a basic rule .

Nice Post. We've all been there. Regarding hook up. You have10m already. Buy a 15m also. Then in effect you have 3 cables. 10m. 15m. And a whopping 25m by plugging them together. You can also split them to give awning power if you have 2 cables. Like the tip about the kampa cube.

297EDAA6-CE92-450E-BB5E-76A0F558236C.jpeg E7F4F87E-F29F-42B8-8020-A89DF940D654.jpeg Hi, we had our first night away last Tuesday and had the majority of lessons you encountered. The turning on of the gas on arrival (it was very wet, and having to pop out again....) especially.

Can’t wait to get away again to learn some more and put first night lessons into practice. Will also take the opportunity to thank everyone on the forum for sharing their experience, knowledge and enthusiasm that has got us our first night away in our Boo.

Great bit of info there, thanks and :welcome

Im new to the camping life too so finding my way.

Just wondering a couple of things (health & safety);

Do people use the onboard heating system on low all night when it’s cold?

Also is it ok to leave the gas system open or best to close the valve under the sink when sleeping?

Cheers

When needed we leave the system on all night.....but hang the remote near the bed. That way if Mrs W gets too hot she can easily turn it off.

We always turn the valve under the sink off. Not sure if its 100% needed every time, but by doing it every as part of routine its now become second nature.

Great bit of info there, thanks and :welcome

Im new to the camping life too so finding my way.

Just wondering a couple of things (health & safety);

Do people use the onboard heating system on low all night when it’s cold?

Also is it ok to leave the gas system open or best to close the valve under the sink when sleeping?

Cheers

We have a 25m which now lives in the garage....just too big and bulky to carry. In its place we have a 5m & and 10m which live in the engine compartment next to the Battery. Yet to stay at a site where either or both of these haven't been enough to reach the hookup when we have needed to use.

Nice Post. We've all been there. Regarding hook up. You have10m already. Buy a 15m also. Then in effect you have 3 cables. 10m. 15m. And a whopping 25m by plugging them together. You can also split them to give awning power if you have 2 cables. Like the tip about the kampa cube.

When needed we leave the system on all night.....but hang the remote near the bed. That way if Mrs W gets too hot she can easily turn it off.

We always turn the valve under the sink off. Not sure if its 100% needed every time, but by doing it every as part of routine its now become second nature.
Nice, I’ve been wondering when I would ever need that remote. Anything that helps be able to stay in bed is a great idea! Thanks. I’m off for a night in the snow this weekend so will be giving it a go.

Is the remote for the heater that you mentioned the one that comes with the keys? As I thought this just did half an hour? Thanks newbie still learning!

We never turn the gas off except when on the Shuttle.

We camp a lot in Europe, always carry two 25m hook-up cables as some French Aires need 50m!!

The heater can run all night no problem but we have the room-stat version of the control which is also conveniently located to be reachable from the bed. It's also good for cool air circulation on hot nights but I don't think the Cali has this option.

I’ve realised until you get out on the road you don’t fully realise how amazing these vehicles are! Proper transformer! I’m sure this is all very obvious for the experienced California owners- but fresh in my mind!

I decided to get away and stay in a local campsite for my first night away and just get used to the process and experience. I thought I would post a few key idiot lessons and my experience.

Idiot lessons:
- I only carry a 10m electric hook up cable. Worth asking as you check in if any of the spaces have long distances to the electric point. I had to move after selecting a spot and it was annoying.

- Close the front blinds before you swivel the chairs! I found that it was very difficult to get the sun blinds down once the passenger chair was reversed.

- Precool the fridge! It takes time to cool down and no one wants warm wine.

- Headtorch. A lot of setup etc requires two hands and light! Especially when it’s dark and cold...

- Turn the gas on as part of your arrival routine. Not good to be fumbling around in the dark when you actually want a cup of tea!

- Cold and dark. I’ve read a lot on here regarding heaters etc. I’m currently camping in sub zero temps and the van is super warm and cosy. It’s a small space so very easy to warm up. Don’t be worried about the cold, go for it and use the van!

- Less is more. Keep it simple and minimalistic. I think this is key for enjoyment- the more stuff, the more faff and the more irritation!

Despite the minor issues, once the music is on, the van is warm and the wine is cold- what an great experience. Feels so comfortable and safe. I can really see how people build long relationships with their vans.

Couple of ‘gear points’: I have the Kampa electric heater. It’s amazing- get one!

Books! Take some!

Small Bluetooth speaker is essential for me for music and steaming radio.

Brandup black carpets throughout- essential!

Some pictures attached, not so useful as it’s very dark!

I just wanted to thank everyone on the forum for their passion and infomation and here’s to many more travels and trips away in the Cali!

View attachment 40835

View attachment 40836

View attachment 40837
Why are you not using the night heater to heat the van ??

I too am a fan of two hook-up leads but just remember joining two cables together is banned by both clubs, CAMC and CCC, although at one particular CCC site the managers turned a blind eye.

Regarding heater, mine is on all night in very cold weather. The remote is always close to hand should I need to turn it off.

Why are you not using the night heater to heat the van ??

I ran the diesel heater through the night on between 4-7. I have the 80ltr fuel tank and the fuel needle moved about a mm so very efficient consumption.

The kampa cube just gives nice direct/fast heat and placed up on the cooker top can heat up the rear section nicely... it takes up very little space and its a nice addition...