Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Good and bad points of a Cali

M

mullitman

VIP Member
Hello all,
I joined the forum a few weeks ago as i wanted a source of knowledge prior to spending out the cash.
The first topic was valuing a Cali, which produced some interesting, and for me, worthwhile comments. I managed to actually get to a showroom yesterday to see one in person and have left with mixed feelings.
There are clearly some outstanding features that make the Cali a cut above the rest, but tainted with some disappointing aspects too.
The pop top bed system structure was brilliant, though i would prefer a manual option as i don't see the benefit of electrical operation. The sliding cupboard doors are also well thought out as even when the lower bed is extended they can still be opened to gain access to the upper cupboard section. The fitted blinds, table in the side door, and tailgate chair stowage were again neat and well thought out.
However, trying to swivel the front seats without fouling the side of the van and/or handbrake was rather annoying.
The sink was a fair bit smaller than the one i recently used in a T5 conversion, and it appears that you have to go outside the van and open the tailgate to gain access to the strap in order to put the lower bed up again. The most noticeable feature was a lack of 3 pin sockets, I expected to see at least one double around the worktop height area. Seems like a lot of money to spend on a van to have to carry around a trailing lead extension....
A complete schoolboy error on my part after months of looking at pictures of these vans was to realise that the rear passenger loading area is on the off side, making it unsafe for passengers to board as they have to go into the road to get on......
Have any of these points i have raised been issues for you lovely people as i would be very interested in your opinions.
Many thanks in advance.

Malcolm :bananadance

Hi, i'm also new on the forum and also spent a long time concidering to,purchace a Cali . I drove a Landrover Defender for ten years and had a Hanibal tent on the roof of the Def. Then camping with al the usual stuf....
Last july 2012 dicided to purchace a Cali new at the dealer ( Belgium)
We are just two of us no kids , and a dog .
The problem with the sliding door at the wrong side is indeed a dangerous situation for passengers stepping out the car , but the Cali is German and therefore we at mainland europe dont have any probs with that issue.
The seat turning i also find a hazzard but just the two of us i only turn the passenger seat...
I cost a lot of money but it is a car you can use as daily car and travel whit a lot of privileges and freedom .
For the price of a Cali you make a lot of nice vacations by plane/hotel but thats a different view.

Welcome to the forum [WHITE SMILING FACE] I was puzzled by your lower bed comment and having to open the tailgate. The seat / bed can be fully opened and closed from inside the Cali. The main strap is accessible between the seat belt sockets, sometimes this falls back down under the seat, but can easily be accessed by pulling the back of the seat base upwards allowing you to get your hand in to reach the strap; it will lift by 20-30cm. This also allows you to tuck away the seat belt sockets under the bed when in the bed position.

Happy exploring, Barry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There is a 3pin socket to the rhs of the sink but it is a single. You don't need to go outside to convert the bed unless the strap slipped down (never happened to me). If you are worried about the passenger door in the rear you can just walk between the front seats to exit at the front. The swivel IS a fiddle, but with practice it gets a bit easier ;-)
Cheers
Nick

As above if someone in the dealership told you you need to go outside to sort the bed out they were misinformed.

I don't see the side of the door as an argument, it rather depends on which side of the road you park and frankly does it differ from a four door car where two doors will be at the roadside regardless of which side you park?? You can view it from a different perspective that actually the sliding door rather than a swing open door is actually safer.

Was the conversion you viewed a long wheelbase with more space??

Of course people here will defend the Cali as we all made our choice however please also bear in mind there are a lot of experienced people here some of whom have had conversions before buying the Cali so they will try to best advise you.

You should also be very careful when looking at conversions as they are often built on unsuitable chassis's in an attempt to reduce cost or maximise profit. The Cali and of course a well fitted out conversion will be quite heavy and the last thing you want is a T26 with an 85hp engine, low rated alternator, no air con etc.

mullitman said:
Hello all,
I joined the forum a few weeks ago as i wanted a source of knowledge prior to spending out the cash.
The first topic was valuing a Cali, which produced some interesting, and for me, worthwhile comments. I managed to actually get to a showroom yesterday to see one in person and have left with mixed feelings.
There are clearly some outstanding features that make the Cali a cut above the rest, but tainted with some disappointing aspects too.
The pop top bed system structure was brilliant, though i would prefer a manual option as i don't see the benefit of electrical operation. The sliding cupboard doors are also well thought out as even when the lower bed is extended they can still be opened to gain access to the upper cupboard section. The fitted blinds, table in the side door, and tailgate chair stowage were again neat and well thought out.
However, trying to swivel the front seats without fouling the side of the van and/or handbrake was rather annoying.
The sink was a fair bit smaller than the one i recently used in a T5 conversion, and it appears that you have to go outside the van and open the tailgate to gain access to the strap in order to put the lower bed up again. The most noticeable feature was a lack of 3 pin sockets, I expected to see at least one double around the worktop height area. Seems like a lot of money to spend on a van to have to carry around a trailing lead extension....
A complete schoolboy error on my part after months of looking at pictures of these vans was to realise that the rear passenger loading area is on the off side, making it unsafe for passengers to board as they have to go into the road to get on......
Have any of these points i have raised been issues for you lovely people as i would be very interested in your opinions.
Many thanks in advance.

If you don't mind me asking, is the California within your price range?

James

James......why on earth would you ask such a Q of a newcomer...?

BerndRos said:
James......why on earth would you ask such a Q of a newcomer...?

Because I am curious to know what they are looking for - for example, a Cali was never affordable for me and the Beach (just about) was.

Sometimes I feel you have decide if their are pros and cons or you simply can't afford it. The Cali is not expensive compared to other conversions but other conversions can offer a more personal layout and sometimes more space.

James

Some helpful responses there so thankyou for those so far.

The salesman had absolutely no clue as to how the Cali operated as a camper. It was me who found the strap after spotting it at low level through the tailgate to alter the seating into a bed and then I wasn't too sure on how to raise it again from the inside, so i went around the back again and yanked the strap to reinstate the seats. Thanks for the bed information to those who replied about it, i will now know for future reference.

Yes I know what you mean about conversions and fully appreciate the fact that conversions are not intended to be campers which is exactly the reason why I am interested in the Cali. I do however want value for money, and whilst i understand that the worth of these vehicles is in there use, they must therefore surely be user friendly and as such, swiveling seat operation, and 3 pin sockets at handy useable locations doesn't seem too much to ask before parting with my 40 grand.....

As for buying a beach, i'm afraid that just wouldn't let me achieve what i want with the way i like to camp, but i guess life's a compromise at the best of times, sometimes more so than others.

Malcolm

mullitman said:
Some helpful responses there so thankyou for those so far.

The salesman had absolutely no clue as to how the Cali operated as a camper. It was me who found the strap after spotting it at low level through the tailgate to alter the seating into a bed and then I wasn't too sure on how to raise it again from the inside, so i went around the back again and yanked the strap to reinstate the seats. Thanks for the bed information to those who replied about it, i will now know for future reference.

Yes I know what you mean about conversions and fully appreciate the fact that conversions are not intended to be campers which is exactly the reason why I am interested in the Cali. I do however want value for money, and whilst i understand that the worth of these vehicles is in there use, they must therefore surely be user friendly and as such, swiveling seat operation, and 3 pin sockets at handy useable locations doesn't seem too much to ask before parting with my 40 grand.....

As for buying a beach, i'm afraid that just wouldn't let me achieve what i want with the way i like to camp, but i guess life's a compromise at the best of times, sometimes more so than others.

Malcolm

I think that's exactly it, a compromise. You have to understand and accept the California in context. It's not better than other conversions but being based on a VW T5 Multivan and not a standard transporter it is designed to be a completely different experience. Of course and rightly so, some people will want the practical touches, the California never purports to the most practical conversion, what it is sold as it the best conversion.

Whether you buy into it is personal and the term 'best' is highly subjective. I doubt you will find a conversion at Cali money which come close to the quality but you may find one that more suits your needs and that will be the compromise.

It really is what you value and what you consider important and that is always personal :)

James

Last October I was exactly in your position and I was looking at all the options . Having looked at Danbury , Bilboa and Leisure drive I thought one of these was going to be my choice and also thought the Cali was above my budget. HOWEVER after more homework I discovered by the time I'd specced a decent engine and aircon I was above the Cali price before the double glazing / blinds/ chairs/diesel heater/colour coding/alloys etc. . Remember you will get discount off list and residual value higher than the competition.

The door could be an issue for some but again how often do you park at the side of the road. Mostly we park in car parks , at home on the drive and you do have a choice of what side you park on. As someone said walking between the seats is doable especially if the kids are small and if they are older like ours they are aware to look out. On my audi A1 my kids have no choice to get out of the drivers side if they are sat that side in the back as you cant easiliy cross over, so it no different to the millions of 3 door cars out there.

I agree with the manual roof argument as it must be an expensive addition the Cali SE could do without IMHO.

Personal choice is what it comes down to but for me spending £40k+ there was only one. But there is no right or wrong choice here.

Happy hunting.

Malcolm,

I think you are embarking on many of the questions lots of us also had pre purchase.

In answer to some of your points I would say that if you want value for money you probably aren't going to get that from a conversion in the broadest terms as the depreciation will be more significant over time . In terms of the swivel seats I'm not sure it would be much easier in a conversion as there is only a limited width in the T5 cab so to move those seats around a point in the floor to which they are fitted is always going to be tricky. Personally I rarely rotate the drivers seat as it is awkward and we gain more from the ready access to the seat back storage. I did however rotate the drivers seat at CotF this weekend and whilst it is easier when you've done it a few times it also confirmed my current situation that I'm better not to turn it. There is no problem to rotate the passenger seat.

I have the 3 pin sockets easily resolved by the use of a short trailing lead plugged into the two pin socket behind the passenger seat.

mullitman said:
Hello all,
The pop top bed system structure was brilliant, though i would prefer a manual option as i don't see the benefit of electrical operation. I thought the same but it is VERY convenient and easier than any manual roof. It's also a darn good party trick! The sliding cupboard doors are also well thought out as even when the lower bed is extended they can still be opened to gain access to the upper cupboard section. Just don't do what we do too often - go to make tea in bed then realise the teapot is in the inaccessible rear cupboard! The fitted blinds, table in the side door, and tailgate chair stowage were again neat and well thought out. Another great party trick. The blinds do need care though when retracting.
However, trying to swivel the front seats without fouling the side of the van and/or handbrake was rather annoying. I've scratched our handbrake cowl but once you get used to it, it's easy. It is a VERY tight space - leave it in gear and take the handbrake off.
The sink was a fair bit smaller We tend to use it just for very light washing duties - the rest is done at campsite wash facilities than the one i recently used in a T5 conversion, and it appears that you have to go outside the van and open the tailgate to gain access to the strap in order to put the lower bed up again. Not experiened this! The most noticeable feature was a lack of 3 pin sockets, I expected to see at least one double around the worktop height area. Seems like a lot of money to spend on a van to have to carry around a trailing lead extension....Stick a Euro adaptor plug in the other socket (which runs off the leisure batteries) and you can use any low drain items like laptops, charge mobiles, etc - we use ours all the time.
A complete schoolboy error on my part after months of looking at pictures of these vans was to realise that the rear passenger loading area is on the off side, making it unsafe for passengers to board as they have to go into the road to get on... On the other hand, I find it much easier to get to my kids when I need to get them in and out.
Many thanks in advance.

Answers/suggestions in bold!

We dithered for ages; I looked at a new older shape one ages ago (in silver) and was put right off - it just looked very dull and clinical. But the newer shape appealed more and the minor compromises were outweighed by the benefits.

You have to remember just how versatile yet comfortable they are compared to aftermarket conversions - all based on Caravelles/Multivans so a much nicer cab and loads more soundproofing. Everything is under warranty. There's no horrible coloured seats. It can be parked almost anywhere. Everything is well designed - yes the cooker, fridge and sink aren't really "proper" camper items but all work very well - in fact the fridge is superb. Runs for AGES on just aux battery power, gets really cold, VERY quiet at night.

All these things make the Cali unique IMO.

All valid points thanks very much. Does the roof have a manual function in case the motor fails? Am I right in saying that the 240v socket located to the right of the sink, behind passenger seat is the only mains socket in the van? The salesman didn't have much of an idea so i was preoccupied with trying to suss everything else out, and kinda forgot to check for any more socket locations.

Malcolm

That is the only 3 pin socket and it works only on hook-up. The 2 pin socket nearby is 240v but low wattage and runs from an invertor powered by the batteries.
- Nick

Their is a way to raise the roof manually - I don't know what it is though... :oops:

KernowLad said:
Their is a way to raise the roof manually - I don't know what it is though... :oops:

Not heard that I know you can lower the roof manually by removing the control panel and turning the screw. Don't think it is possible to raise manually :thumb

Calikev said:
KernowLad said:

Not heard that I know you can lower the roof manually by removing the control panel and turning the screw. Don't think it is possible to raise manually :thumb

That might be what I was thinking... :oops:

Back