Good Cali spots in Dorset

larrylamb

larrylamb

Cali owner.
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi everyone, off to Dorset in a week staying at East Fleet site. We will be out and about every day and would like some tips on great places to visit and picnic in the Cali, beaches, walks, towns etc. Anywhere really where we can utilise the Cali to the max. Thanks.

Kimmeridge Bay toll road to car park great spot. Durlston head Country Park, Portland Bill and Hardys Monument for view point ( Kiss me Hardy not Thomas Hardy)

Last edited:
Be warned, wherever you go, do not park on the beach front road in the lovely seaside town of Swanage. A real beautiful seaside town that's certainly worth a visit BUT they have onerous parking rules and regulations which basically mean no motorhomes can park there, the signage is very hard to see let alone decipher and you will be given a parking ticket.

Kimmeridge Bay toll road to car park great spot.

Kimmeridge comes highly recommended, absolutely fantastic spot.

Be warned, wherever you go, do not park on the beach front road in the lovely seaside town of Swanage

Love Swanage, regular Cali visitor... Parking on the Pier itself is a firm favourite with our family (Probably a hang over from my scuba days), otherwise it's just above the pier, overlooking the town... Fantastic car park only 350m from the beachside parking that so many have struggled with.

Lulworth Cove, always worth a visit but very touristy, great for a sheltered swim/snorkel and the geology is stunning... Nice once they open up the overflow car park and there's plenty of space for a Cali picnic on the grass.

Rgds
Mark

Thanks for the tips guys, keep 'em coming. :thumb

The coast road from Weymouth to Bridport is stunning. On a clear day it is well worth pulling over in the laybys at the top of Abbotsbury Hill. The view back towards Portland is fantastic. There is usually an ice cream van there to as an added bonus. A little further on there is a car park just before Burton Bradstock. This is also a lovely picnic spot. West Bay is a small fishing village which is camper van friendly in the old station car park.

A little further on there is a car park just before Burton Bradstock

Know this spot well... The one with the footpath down to Burton Mere and the beach... Lovely

Or do you mean the larger one a few hundred yards along, next to the Cafe on the beach?

Both VERY good spots.

I was thinking of Burton Mere. I have tried to have lunch at Hive Beach cafe a few times, but it is so popular I haven't got in yet. But as you say it is also a lovely spot.

Beer village is nice just outside village big car park at the caves which are interesting
Good car park at the sea at Charmouth good fossil hunting spot

I have a soft spot for Corfe Castle. There is a steam train that runs to/from swanage as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any good campsite recommendations in the area that just might have availability for this weekend??!

Hi Marshian,
Give us a call, we might still have space for you, depending on which nights you want. I'm pretty sure we have space for Fri/ Sat still, but not sure on Sunday.
Cheers
Rich

Try pitchup.com. You can give it dates, an area and type of pitch you want and it will tell you of any availability (obviously only on those sites registered with the service). Saves phoning around :)

We stay in Camping and Caravan Club Corfe Castle site which is lovely! Swanage has great beach but because of parking issue we go on the bus which is very scenic! Hot chocolate at Chococo is not to be missed and the chip shop on the sea front by the missing child point is excellent!
Enjoy!

Charmouth! My profile picture is of Charmouth. You've a choice of 2 cafes a lovely vintage clothes shop and great fossil prospects. There are 2 car parks, get in early if you want the spot in the photo.

Great walking around area...try Langton matravers for pub....lots of lovely circular walks....can usually walk from a pub to a tea shop and back to a pub!
Am staying at Daisy Meadow, sturminster newton and branscombe airfield in devon for our hols, so also interested in ideas.

Last Friday we stayed one night at Hook Farm, Uplyme - a lovely site. There is a 1/2 hour walk alongside a brook through the woods into Lyme Regis, which has everything you can want from a seaside town & we even had sunshine!

Stayed at East Fleet just down the road from Weymouth a couple of week back. Lovely site with friendly staff and a good camping shop.

Alan

Back