Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thunderstorms

Ocean-Devotion

Ocean-Devotion

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
We are off to Dorset just as the hot weather breaks. We are staying in a big open field. The forecast is for thunder and lightning. I’m a little concerned that our Cali with the roof up will possibly be the tallest vehicle on site . Should we be worried about lightning strikes? Any thoughts ?

I don't know if the aluminium is a good conductor?

We are off to Dorset just as the hot weather breaks. We are staying in a big open field. The forecast is for thunder and lightning. I’m a little concerned that our Cali with the roof up will possibly be the tallest vehicle on site . Should we be worried about lightning strikes? Any thoughts ?
Only if its Red

Sitting on 4 big rubber insulators?

Sitting on 4 big rubber insulators?
Unless you have your awning out, in which case youve got some handy metal poles going down to the ground?

Anyway a set of low profile tyres whilst sat in long grass doesnt give much of an air gap.

If you are on hook up I would disconnect.

As an occupant you will be fine in any metal vehicle as long as you are inside it as any electric current will flow through the metalwork around you. What you dont want to be doing is standing in wet grass holding the vans door handle as bolt of lightning hits, as then the electricity will be going through you!

Unless you have your awning out, in which case youve got some handy metal poles going down to the ground?

Anyway a set of low profile tyres whilst sat in long grass doesnt give much of an air gap.

If you are on hook up I would disconnect.

As an occupant you will be fine in any metal vehicle as long as you are inside it as any electric current will flow through the metalwork around you. What you dont want to be doing is standing in wet grass holding the vans door handle as bolt of lightning hits, as then the electricity will be going through you!
Indeed, disconnect hookup, (both sides!), put awning in (also in case of heavy storm) and put the roof down (also in case of heavy storm).
Inside the car is the best place to be then when you are in the open field I guess and enjoy it!

As others have said, inside the car. It's a faraday cage, lightning goes around it, not through it, and goes to ground through the steel in the tyres ( It's a myth that tyres act as insulators)...

https://science.howstuffworks.com/n...-rubber-tires-insulate-car-from-lightning.htm

Whilst not a physicist (far from it) I am at least partly qualified by being a member of the lucky strike club, twice :D

(once in a car ......)

As others have said, inside the car. It's a faraday cage, lightning goes around it, not through it, and goes to ground through the steel in the tyres ( It's a myth that tyres act as insulators)...

https://science.howstuffworks.com/n...-rubber-tires-insulate-car-from-lightning.htm

Whilst not a physicist (far from it) I am at least partly qualified by being a member of the lucky strike club, twice :D

(once in a car ......)
Oh, now you disappoint me. You are member of the Lucky Strike club?
1597162440247.png

All jokes aside.
No real worries for lightning in a car, if you are not connected.

Currently extremely stormy in Edinburgh. Lightning show, with terrential rain, for the last 30 mins and showing no signs of stopping. On top of that our house roof is currently leaking - re-roof was due to commence yesterday - so not entirely enjoyable :eek:

7354A726-56CD-499F-B804-B392AB188EE3.jpeg

[QUOTE="Rololux, post: 446009, member: 21470" =QUOTE]

As an aside, I use a lightening strike app on the iPhone. Works really well.

[QUOTE="Rololux, post: 446009, member: 21470" =QUOTE]

As an aside, I use a lightening strike app on the iPhone. Works really well.
After the event. :Nailbiting

Sort of but, you can get the feeling if it's coming your way as the notifications get closer and then you start hearing it ... :rolleyes: :oops:
I know. But the phone will never report the strike that hits you.

Only risk is if you were on the outside and lightning went to the Cali and then to you for quick route to ground.
You'd probably be 10>20 yards away afterwards.

same applies if a power cable contacts the Cali.