Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gotta love the Trangia!

chockswahay

chockswahay

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
OK I admit that this was not cooked in or near the van but I used the Trangia which we keep in the van for emergency use or for cooking outside. When in France a few weeks ago I had a go at high temperature steak cooking……. Simply fire up the Trangia at max chat then dry fry a Ribeye for two minutes a side then chuck in a little butter near the end of cooking…… sublime! As Mrs Chox is away (haha, see what I did there?) I fancied rerunning the fun. :D

And all the spitting fat and smells stay outside :thumb

IMG_2923.jpeg

IMG_2925.jpeg

IMG_2926.jpeg

IMG_2929.jpeg

IMG_2930.jpeg

OK I admit that this was not cooked in or near the van but I used the Trangia which we keep in the van for emergency use or for cooking outside. When in France a few weeks ago I had a go at high temperature steak cooking……. Simply fire up the Trangia at max chat then dry fry a Ribeye for two minutes a side then chuck in a little butter near the end of cooking…… sublime! As Mrs Chox is away (haha, see what I did there?) I fancied rerunning the fun. :D

And all the spitting fat and smells stay outside :thumb

View attachment 128111

View attachment 128112

View attachment 128113

View attachment 128114

View attachment 128115
Ooooh! That looks yummy.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Thanks. Its 21:30, I've eaten and now I'm hungry again.

Washed down with a nice glass of French plonk.

I might have to dig out my old Trangia set for a nostalgia trip (I still use the burner occasionally for a brew on a day trip in the woods). I think the last thing I cooked on my old 25 set was Spam & eggs - that steak looks a significant upgrade on that!

Haha, sorry guys :( I was only intending to highlight the usefulness of having a Trangia in the van …… small, takes up little space and no gas required :thumb

Although…….. I haven’t had brekkie yet……….. :D

Imagine the physique you’d have, eating that for breakfast everyday.

I have a vango roar, is that the same kind of thing?
What are you burning inside?
Bits of dead animals ? Or a couple of firefighters ?
Where’s the gas bottle?
So many questions

I've not used a Trangia since I was at school; memories of meths leaking out of the bottle and soaking everything in the rucksack on D of E expeditions (although being a rank teenager, it probably "sanitised" things for the better). I do remember a particularly unseasonal snowstorm with driving winds; the Trangias kept going no matter what, you just had to have the patience of a saint to wait for a pot of water to boil.

Related; I regularly take a 1950s Bialaddin pressurised paraffin lantern with me in the Cali; it is a lovely bit of engineering, but also generates loads of warm light as well as literally warmth - nice to sit outside by (definitely not one to use indoors!).

I might have to dig out my old Trangia set for a nostalgia trip (I still use the burner occasionally for a brew on a day trip in the woods). I think the last thing I cooked on my old 25 set was Spam & eggs - that steak looks a significant upgrade on that!
Not a venison steak from a stag you caught with your bare hands?

Trust me, eating spam in the early 1980’s was more treacherous than stag hunting!

Imagine the physique you’d have, eating that for breakfast everyday.

I have a vango roar, is that the same kind of thing?
What are you burning inside?
Bits of dead animals ? Or a couple of firefighters ?
Where’s the gas bottle?
So many questions
It’s an alcohol burner, typically you use meths. So not only have you got a cooker but you can use the meths as a beverage if times are desperate.

As I keep saying everything in my van has to do double duty if at possible…