Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Greasy Water tank drain

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Can anyone post a pic of the drain valve and location please?

I’m plotting a motorised version for my 4 but my sis has a 5 Cali so it would be good to make sure the bits will fit both.

Ta v much.

That should read Fresh!!

Thanks WG. Pretty much the same as the 4 with the exception of the handle extension.

I take it the valve itself isn’t accessible but obvs the handle is?

Where exactly is the handle in the 5?
Easy to get to?

If you were to access the valve body, how would you get to it?

In the 4 it looks like the gas compartment will need to come out.

Could you use a hole saw to cut an access hole at the bottom of the cupboard exactly by the valve? maybe get a blanking plug for a desk(cable access thingy) and then find a saw to match?

Thanks WG. Pretty much the same as the 4 with the exception of the handle extension.

I take it the valve itself isn’t accessible but obvs the handle is?

Where exactly is the handle in the 5?
Easy to get to?

If you were to access the valve body, how would you get to it?

In the 4 it looks like the gas compartment will need to come out.
The Water Tank / Gas holder fits under the rear Wardrobe. Lifting up the Bottom Shelf exposes the Tank in the Rear Outside corner and the screw lid for the Gas holder. Shelf 58 in the Diagram

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl.../068/subcategory/68000/part_id/3707519/lang/e

Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 17.17.46.jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: DG1
Could you use a hole saw to cut an access hole at the bottom of the cupboard exactly by the valve? maybe get a blanking plug for a desk(cable access thingy) and then find a saw to match?
On the 4 there is already a metal access hatch that you remove to access the valve handle. It’s a right PITA as you need to first empty the locker to get at the hatch.

Plan is to replace the valve with a 12v solenoid valve and drive it with a time delay relay triggered by momentary switch(es) dash and rear cupboard mounted.

Once done I can drain the fresh tank in-flight without excess dicking about.
The time delay relay will re-close the solenoid valve after five mins ready for the next refill.

If I can understand exactly the setup on the 5 I can size the valve to suit both 5 and 5.

Reactions: Loz
Back