Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Great campsites for Kayaking

andybeary

andybeary

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Hi i have just got myself a kayak for family trips out, has anyone got recommendations for great family campsites good for Kayaking? either by the water or a short distance.

only one i have so far is the following

Thanks

Sorry, i was meant to write something with this! It is for paddle boards but obviously shows sites with water access. Most will be calm water but there are some on the Wye and other rivers

There's a list of sites with access to water here:

Redcliffe Farm Campsite and Ridge Farm Camping & Caravan Park offer access to river which allows you to get to Poole harbour. Other option is to park in Studland and launch from there. That's what I do.

If anyone needs info about campsites with water access in Switzerland, I can recommend a few.

From the post above, there's Llyn Gwynant on the list. It's very busy place. I tried it twice. Once I just left, because there was too many people, second time I couldn't stay even if I wanted, it was full. But there are parking spots by the road, on the lake. So you can launch from there.

Last edited:
There's a list of sites with access to water here:

Redcliffe Farm Campsite and Ridge Farm Camping & Caravan Park offer access to river which allows you to get to Poole harbour. Other option is to park in Studland and launch from there. That's what I do.

If anyone needs info about campsites with water access in Switzerland, I can recommend a few.

From the post above, there's Llyn Gwynant on the list. It's very busy place. I tried it twice. Once I just left, because there was too many people, second time I couldn't stay even if I wanted, it was full. But there are parking spots by the road, on the lake. So you can launch from there.
If you have any on switzerland yes please :) am taking the Kayak there next month thanks.

If you have any on switzerland yes please :) am taking the Kayak there next month thanks.
1. Saarnensee, big organised campsite Seefeld Park. Difficult to find free pitch in summer without a booking. Only possible with tent. There's access to the lake from campsite, also onsite free pool. Pool is very busy during the weekend, it's public.
Good facilities, even kitchen for guests. Sarnen has a few supermarkets, restaurants and there's walking path along the lake.
There's another campsite at the other end of the lake, but I didn't try it.
Lake Sarnen, view towards higher mountains.
AP1GczMPK1cBzlgQ72gkKsYjD99ua7JlolRgtvTn8POAIfUOtMW234NvZjTBwMGqdLWbwXikdF2Y_gRloy55p4NoG6nfED5kdPu-9ueY1FRF52u375qO2uc6nTKouMEPOKk_rJcweFPInE7MPMK9CkCMYUne=w1813-h985-s-no-gm

2. Lake Lungern, small but very picturesque, beautiful colour of water.
There's campsite by the lake https://obsee.ch/
It's smaller, quieter, a few fields depending on the car/van you have.
Alternatively, you can drive and park just in front of the campsite, 5CHF for 24h (public car park) and get to the lake through campsite or through the field. I saw people driving down with boats and launching from campsite area.
There's a path around the lake, so you can walk or cycle. There's also cable car to the mountain above the lake. Lovely views. BBQ place at the top or restaurant. BBQ places with wood provided are quite popular in Switzerland.

View from the cable car.
AP1GczMABAX-lRke_AuNWeh-ruoYR6hzzooTWoUJUT1Oji2LjmOTMb1KIKKSWQp4O_vhnOIXrWDtIor4edOgON_1pR4VPl0SvyRg2lDKlxaJsMoY-o63HbpgmakJYzst1iHLIhLPHyrqLo5Gz2ifIfrddu3f=w1813-h1022-s-no-gm

Meadow by the lake.
AP1GczPvUtWxn66VMsSumFblmCCgjdWANIoDPGo7KsH9N-mJbxfdTyraP81_3q_KRJftVlPMYSawvEs0flquVaKus6v9Lizn_lry0SvwcUoDXOIP9BzZh6VB6U1L4XI6FfDa53Vm_BeOOGPG_7V99izwha9y=w1813-h1022-s-no-gm

3. Lake Brienz, Aaregg Familiencampingplatz near Brienz. It advertises as 5* campsite and it does have very nice facilities. It's possible to stay without booking, they leave map with available spaces during lunch time when reception is closed and you can choose one of the free pitches and set yourself up on it. There are some emergency places outside as well.
Direct access to the Brienz Lake, which is quite big, so it gives a lot of kayaking options. Short walk to town to supermarket, train station and restaurants. It's a good base for hiking, cycling, sightseeing. You can rent electric bike for 25 CHF per day, which I think is decent price.
I really enjoyed my stay here and definitely coming back.
There are few more camping places beside this one, but they are small, crowded and mostly unavailable.

Pitches.
AP1GczOAn79o52cmGXycR1NZblMMxM5_0j_Zj5R7hg-1AkP8WYKIlSRzeS3FHajk32KhXmCDkqe6bdIm4PJNtNGYvFF2o4-3rMoO8oNSMKj2xL1uedNGEUNB4BO3YKy1XRRi1vIztqnDNewB_M8YNCQt1jlF=w1813-h1022-s-no-gm

Lake Brienz.
AP1GczOGmla7HKzSRE_6KaJcFDRNFfMr2JGhiyMPCKZTrHxbEF-SSo5KnFZ7iEttjxrdB5v63HeABeh07Dr_mj1PriQQqxb39Ar4nzdWIJZ0LJYcDnVdACXO_lmG92OakheXyRWdlVEMeI-xVh7WVLpxDr86=w1813-h1022-s-no-gm

4. TCS Camping Bönigen Brienzersee, other side of the lake, close to Interlaken. Small site, reservation on TCS website. Directly on the lake.
5. Camping au Lac Ringgenberg AG - even smaller site, directly on the same lake. You will have to book well ahead or be lucky to find free pitch. Narrow access road, under railway bridge. They have website and email address for booking.
6 and 7. Other side of Interlaken, on Lake Thun there are two campsite close to each other.
6. Camping Alpenblick, it's not directly by the water, but there's tunnel under the road so you can tow/carry your kayak from campsite. Or drop it off by car by the lake. This campsite is cheaper of the two, but it's suffering from road noise and light pollution, depending where you pitch. It's possible to find free pitch without booking.
7. Camping Manor Farm more expensive option directly on the lake. Price structure is very complicated, almost every pitch has different price. There are pitches close to the lake and pitches across the road, which are cheaper. Underpass under the road, so you don't have to cross it.
Both campsites 6 & 7 issue guests with visitor card which offers free public transport in Interlaken. There are bus stops outside both of them. One is just by the pitches of Alpenblick, hence the noise and light pollution. A lot of people is coming to Neuhaus beach and restaurant, so there are always people waiting at the bus stop across the road.
Walking and cycling path to Interlaken. Free bus all the way to Beatenbucht.

View from Manor Farm.
AP1GczMigp5FfbGzgcadyzHP1pzAFUwe1FFE8lEuMaQfuphpYkbSgpITCd4aXOzPvy0Y_R0OW55JmitIWTokBjQ_UmJzxMZTJ00RyxVHm056hgcMOQmSlWzLpz51tWneESv7x7R2wtSMaOmjpi-P1IIDRWOG=w1813-h1022-s-no-gm

Kayaking on Thun.
AP1GczNAu14fn6kJ3jv1QQgloFLTnGYyOEC9YY4nDeojJDwthY-51h5KvUvsaQvb5ewpTXy-tMVVc9sESLLKDagGVoEWyHVFtto8cmbkiV7x_CNQyxKIrnx-xPDPOvRkIBM6s5UbNpnstzv1JAKfqmICBanj=w1813-h1022-s-no-gm

Lake Brienz and Thun have scheduled boats, so be aware of them. Also, on Brienz Lake, there are jet boats and jet ski, which make extra waves.

The boat on Brienz Lake.
AP1GczPmPHvqaCDfwTIsfE6VPDhjy-XueK01dI9iE1LwldKqa_XzTKipDqOfMD63Z9Z3JXZYFOb2wCKxMRPivmtQYqbBNXhCbROxX81MGFuAWTiRbG6yWYiCuJvlYqLMQfuuFfIS53x0bnCfBKqblplQAQ6a=w1813-h1022-s-no-gm

8. Campsite Moratel, Cully on Geneva Lake. They don't seem to have their own website. https://www.camping.ch/en/campsite/waadt/cully/moratel
But I think, I found email somewhere and booked ahead. It's open until mid-October, I was there in first week of October and weather was very nice.
Small site with around 20 grass pitches and 5 on concrete. Small bathroom block, marina onsite, access to the lake. Relatively cheap. Every guest gets travel card for the whole Lausanne area, so you can travel for free between Lausanne and Montreux, all the way to Villeneuve.
You can enjoy water sports, cycling and hiking. Vine terraces have a lot of different routes. And in September you can watch grapes picking and wine making. And if you're into angling/fishing, I can confirm you can catch quite big fish.

Campsite is by the marina, in the middle of the photo.
AP1GczNV8MjDM0lZbEEVYhgZwqXyX6o7OZhwqAtcyi_-zCCx38nrnQWVzUHWho8cteqA9KRQZ2eo0jIga0AvG6JtpfuInQNynrg5TT9T-OYAZr4gA4L3AfYxsQ-PL6OXiR-1emO4T24S0sWhoIlSVnKdv5OZ=w1813-h1022-s-no-gm

AP1GczMFX091aK9dzEW9EA4VdrnRpRJKaBkeBIGjwABHKnqj-wMJjF86-7xaplW3c-Q0NQO_arOZxU1y9lwmCvSS4xSgNWL71_Ue4Tx6ISV7EZ2DgHXN6FnVXbyL6b3MWe92y7w9eq8TRTkxVXA8b2aPXbsL=w1813-h1022-s-no-gm

Last edited:
1. Saarnensee, big organised campsite Seefeld Park. Difficult to find free pitch in summer without a booking. Only possible with tent. There's access to the lake from campsite, also onsite free pool. Pool is very busy during the weekend, it's public.
Good facilities, even kitchen for guests. Sarnen has a few supermarkets, restaurants and there's walking path along the lake.
There's another campsite at the other end of the lake, but I didn't try it.
Lake Sarnen, view towards higher mountains.
AP1GczMPK1cBzlgQ72gkKsYjD99ua7JlolRgtvTn8POAIfUOtMW234NvZjTBwMGqdLWbwXikdF2Y_gRloy55p4NoG6nfED5kdPu-9ueY1FRF52u375qO2uc6nTKouMEPOKk_rJcweFPInE7MPMK9CkCMYUne=w1813-h985-s-no-gm

2. Lake Lungern, small but very picturesque, beautiful colour of water.
There's campsite by the lake https://obsee.ch/
It's smaller, quieter, a few fields depending on the car/van you have.
Alternatively, you can drive and park just in front of the campsite, 5CHF for 24h (public car park) and get to the lake through campsite or through the field. I saw people driving down with boats and launching from campsite area.
There's a path around the lake, so you can walk or cycle. There's also cable car to the mountain above the lake. Lovely views. BBQ place at the top or restaurant. BBQ places with wood provided are quite popular in Switzerland.

View from the cable car.
AP1GczMABAX-lRke_AuNWeh-ruoYR6hzzooTWoUJUT1Oji2LjmOTMb1KIKKSWQp4O_vhnOIXrWDtIor4edOgON_1pR4VPl0SvyRg2lDKlxaJsMoY-o63HbpgmakJYzst1iHLIhLPHyrqLo5Gz2ifIfrddu3f=w1813-h1022-s-no-gm

Meadow by the lake.
AP1GczPvUtWxn66VMsSumFblmCCgjdWANIoDPGo7KsH9N-mJbxfdTyraP81_3q_KRJftVlPMYSawvEs0flquVaKus6v9Lizn_lry0SvwcUoDXOIP9BzZh6VB6U1L4XI6FfDa53Vm_BeOOGPG_7V99izwha9y=w1813-h1022-s-no-gm

3. Lake Brienz, Aaregg Familiencampingplatz near Brienz. It advertises as 5* campsite and it does have very nice facilities. It's possible to stay without booking, they leave map with available spaces during lunch time when reception is closed and you can choose one of the free pitches and set yourself up on it. There are some emergency places outside as well.
Direct access to the Brienz Lake, which is quite big, so it gives a lot of kayaking options. Short walk to town to supermarket, train station and restaurants. It's a good base for hiking, cycling, sightseeing. You can rent electric bike for 25 CHF per day, which I think is decent price.
I really enjoyed my stay here and definitely coming back.
There are few more camping places beside this one, but they are small, crowded and mostly unavailable.

Pitches.
AP1GczOAn79o52cmGXycR1NZblMMxM5_0j_Zj5R7hg-1AkP8WYKIlSRzeS3FHajk32KhXmCDkqe6bdIm4PJNtNGYvFF2o4-3rMoO8oNSMKj2xL1uedNGEUNB4BO3YKy1XRRi1vIztqnDNewB_M8YNCQt1jlF=w1813-h1022-s-no-gm

Lake Brienz.
AP1GczOGmla7HKzSRE_6KaJcFDRNFfMr2JGhiyMPCKZTrHxbEF-SSo5KnFZ7iEttjxrdB5v63HeABeh07Dr_mj1PriQQqxb39Ar4nzdWIJZ0LJYcDnVdACXO_lmG92OakheXyRWdlVEMeI-xVh7WVLpxDr86=w1813-h1022-s-no-gm

4. TCS Camping Bönigen Brienzersee, other side of the lake, close to Interlaken. Small site, reservation on TCS website. Directly on the lake.
5. Camping au Lac Ringgenberg AG - even smaller site, directly on the same lake. You will have to book well ahead or be lucky to find free pitch. Narrow access road, under railway bridge. They have website and email address for booking.
6 and 7. Other side of Interlaken, on Lake Thun there are two campsite close to each other.
6. Camping Alpenblick, it's not directly by the water, but there's tunnel under the road so you can tow/carry your kayak from campsite. Or drop it off by car by the lake. This campsite is cheaper of the two, but it's suffering from road noise and light pollution, depending where you pitch. It's possible to find free pitch without booking.
7. Camping Manor Farm more expensive option directly on the lake. Price structure is very complicated, almost every pitch has different price. There are pitches close to the lake and pitches across the road, which are cheaper. Underpass under the road, so you don't have to cross it.
Both campsites 6 & 7 issue guests with visitor card which offers free public transport in Interlaken. There are bus stops outside both of them. One is just by the pitches of Alpenblick, hence the noise and light pollution. A lot of people is coming to Neuhaus beach and restaurant, so there are always people waiting at the bus stop across the road.
Walking and cycling path to Interlaken. Free bus all the way to Beatenbucht.

View from Manor Farm.
AP1GczMigp5FfbGzgcadyzHP1pzAFUwe1FFE8lEuMaQfuphpYkbSgpITCd4aXOzPvy0Y_R0OW55JmitIWTokBjQ_UmJzxMZTJ00RyxVHm056hgcMOQmSlWzLpz51tWneESv7x7R2wtSMaOmjpi-P1IIDRWOG=w1813-h1022-s-no-gm

Kayaking on Thun.
AP1GczNAu14fn6kJ3jv1QQgloFLTnGYyOEC9YY4nDeojJDwthY-51h5KvUvsaQvb5ewpTXy-tMVVc9sESLLKDagGVoEWyHVFtto8cmbkiV7x_CNQyxKIrnx-xPDPOvRkIBM6s5UbNpnstzv1JAKfqmICBanj=w1813-h1022-s-no-gm

Lake Brienz and Thun have scheduled boats, so be aware of them. Also, on Brienz Lake, there are jet boats and jet ski, which make extra waves.

The boat on Brienz Lake.
AP1GczPmPHvqaCDfwTIsfE6VPDhjy-XueK01dI9iE1LwldKqa_XzTKipDqOfMD63Z9Z3JXZYFOb2wCKxMRPivmtQYqbBNXhCbROxX81MGFuAWTiRbG6yWYiCuJvlYqLMQfuuFfIS53x0bnCfBKqblplQAQ6a=w1813-h1022-s-no-gm

8. Campsite Moratel, Cully on Geneva Lake. They don't seem to have their own website. https://www.camping.ch/en/campsite/waadt/cully/moratel
But I think, I found email somewhere and booked ahead. It's open until mid-October, I was there in first week of October and weather was very nice.
Small site with around 20 grass pitches and 5 on concrete. Small bathroom block, marina onsite, access to the lake. Relatively cheap. Every guest gets travel card for the whole Lausanne area, so you can travel for free between Lausanne and Montreux, all the way to Villeneuve.
You can enjoy water sports, cycling and hiking. Vine terraces have a lot of different routes. And in September you can watch grapes picking and wine making. And if you're into angling/fishing, I can confirm you can catch quite big fish.

Campsite is by the marina, in the middle of the photo.
AP1GczNV8MjDM0lZbEEVYhgZwqXyX6o7OZhwqAtcyi_-zCCx38nrnQWVzUHWho8cteqA9KRQZ2eo0jIga0AvG6JtpfuInQNynrg5TT9T-OYAZr4gA4L3AfYxsQ-PL6OXiR-1emO4T24S0sWhoIlSVnKdv5OZ=w1813-h1022-s-no-gm

AP1GczMFX091aK9dzEW9EA4VdrnRpRJKaBkeBIGjwABHKnqj-wMJjF86-7xaplW3c-Q0NQO_arOZxU1y9lwmCvSS4xSgNWL71_Ue4Tx6ISV7EZ2DgHXN6FnVXbyL6b3MWe92y7w9eq8TRTkxVXA8b2aPXbsL=w1813-h1022-s-no-gm
thanks so much for the detail will look into a few of these if room left to book..

Coniston Caravan club site is love in the Lake District . Coniston nice and easy to kayak on . Low Wray is nice but the facilities at the campsite are a bit grim . Maybe they’ve changed it was a while ago

We've kayaked from Side Farm at Patterdale (Ullswater) & Coniston Hall (Coniston) in the Lake District; also Hurley Riverside on the Thames near Henley. And very nice in a small way: Outney Meadow at Bungay (Suffolk).

Two suggestions. Both Camping and Caravanning Club sites.
The site directly next to Derwentwater in Keswick, Lake District. Has its own slipway for ingress/ egress. Walking distance of the Town.
The CCC site at St Neots. Direct access to The Great River Ouse from the site. Town and Riverside pub in walking distance.

Minnows touring park + Tiverton
Tanpits Cider Farm + Bridgewater
Llandyn campsite + Llangollen