Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Greater Manchester Clean Air Zone

For what it's worth the results for my 2015 T5 140 are shown below.
There is rightly a lot of confusion around these schemes and I experienced it personally with the Bath Scheme.

In simple terms the legal definition of whether or not a vehicle is chargeable is contained within the "charging order" - the legal document that brings the CAZ into force and in my opinion reading this is the best way to establish if you are legally liable to pay the charge. It's quite complicated and difficult to understand so next best thing is to read the published rules of the schemes.

The legal definitions / rules then need to be turned into something that can be implemented in the real world.

Sadly this means the government have to do some IT and, as has been demonstrated on many occasions, they aren't very good at it. Unfortunately (or in welshgas case fortunately) this IT project is what decides whether you ACTUALLY get charged. It's riddled with errors and the Cali seems to be a vehicle where the government/civil service / their contractors have done a particularly bad Job and the statement below indicates that they know it.....
1642839455749.png

They do however seem to be tidying it up which could mean that if the rules say a vehicle is chargeable and the checker gives a different answer it could change overnight and you wouldn't be told leading to a no charge one day and a charge the next.

1642837264101.png

I have a 138bhp 103kw 2013 California
It looks like I will be paying £10 to use the M62, so adding £20 to every weekend in north Wales.
Solution for me is one of these; 1 drive around the zone, 2 pay up and accept that my vehicle is part of the problem, 3 give up campervans, 4 clone someone else’s number plate.
If/when this CAZ comes to where I live, then I would look for somewhere outside the zone to park it. Not ideal however we need to sort out the pollution. It’s all stick and no carrot.

9B914983-2725-485B-8FDA-FD68246CD23E.jpeg

Can any owners of non T6 Cali's pop their van's details in here and report back, particularly regarding the Manchester zone.
Thanks.
Thanks for your results so far. I accept all of Louis' point. Just to start with, I'm trying to understand if we are all in the charge or if it was just me with my imported (and badly categorised van). It looks like 70% are impacted so far.... With a small sample size.

I have a 138bhp 103kw 2013 California
It looks like I will be paying £10 to use the M62, so adding £20 to every weekend in north Wales.
Solution for me is one of these; 1 drive around the zone, 2 pay up and accept that my vehicle is part of the problem, 3 give up campervans, 4 clone someone else’s number plate.
If/when this CAZ comes to where I live, then I would look for somewhere outside the zone to park it. Not ideal however we need to sort out the pollution. It’s all stick and no carrot.

View attachment 88382
Sorry, should have said that the motorways and trunk roads are exempted..... But if you get a jam and dive off, you'll be charged.

Hi I am working on the Bradford CAZ to me launched in Spring 2022.
The class of the CAZ with determine which non compliant vehicles will be charged.
Class C means no passenger cars will be charged even if used for business. So depends on what the DVLA classes your vehicle as.
In Bradford you can get an exemption for one vehicle per person if you are a resident in the District and 3 vehicles for small Bradford businesses. So if you live in a CAZ ask about their exemptions.

Sadly if you have a non compliant vehicle and live outside the district you will be charged.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Hi I am working on the Bradford CAZ to me launched in Spring 2022.
The class of the CAZ with determine which non compliant vehicles will be charged.
Class C means no passenger cars will be charged even if used for business. So depends on what the DVLA classes your vehicle as.
In Bradford you can get an exemption for one vehicle per person if you are a resident in the District and 3 vehicles for small Bradford businesses. So if you live in a CAZ ask about their exemptions.

Sadly if you have a non compliant vehicle and live outside the district you will be charged.

I am wondering what is the cost of putting number plate recognition cameras and setting up all the necessary billing/enforcement technology on every road leading in and out of these conurbations? If people either stop going into these zones or actually buy compliant vehicles bankruptcy will beckon.
Presumably Stasi like enforcement to prevent people using wood burning stoves, gas hobs and boilers will be next, happy days.
Of course all the gas fired/diesel electrical generation necessary to keep the lights on during windless winter nights will get a free pass.

I am wondering what is the cost of putting number plate recognition cameras and setting up all the necessary billing/enforcement technology on every road leading in and out of these conurbations? If people either stop going into these zones or actually buy compliant vehicles bankruptcy will beckon.
Presumably Stasi like enforcement to prevent people using wood burning stoves, gas hobs and boilers will be next, happy days.
Of course all the gas fired/diesel electrical generation necessary to keep the lights on during windless winter nights will get a free pass.
It certainly is a massive investment in infrastructure to be able to have a clean air zone.

The clean air plan has been instructed by government because the air quality levels are poor and it has been identified that the clean air zone is the quickest way to achieve the required air quality levels.

The government are funding the clean air plan and also providing the cash for grants.

It certainly is a massive investment in infrastructure to be able to have a clean air zone.

The clean air plan has been instructed by government because the air quality levels are poor and it has been identified that the clean air zone is the quickest way to achieve the required air quality levels.

The government are funding the clean air plan and also providing the cash for grants.

Thank you for the information, who gets the money raised from all these poor people, government or the local authorities?

Thank you for the information, who gets the money raised from all these poor people, government or the local authorities?
The money raised from charges will be used by the local authority in other clean air projects to achieve the air quality targets - this is the case in Bradford.

Might be anti idling campaigns, working with schools, encouraging other methods of transport etc.

Mmm, I just checked my 2016 T6 and it appears I'll be charged for some CAZ's... having read the start of this thread I thought EU6 was exempt. Screenshot 2022-01-25 at 10.15.22.png

Which engine do you have?
Some early T6s were still Euro 5.

Not Californias, as far as I am aware, only N1 Commercial Vans.

To confirm - 204PS T6 EU6, registered April 2016. Its worth owners with a similar vehicle checking so we know if this is consistent or otherwise..

Besides obviously hitting Manchester Zone Residents hard those who merely want to drive through can on the Motorway/Trunk roads but as mentioned previously don't venture off for a short cut or fuel etc.

2014 SE5.1 180 4 Motion. Same as WG, no charges. Strange that some 140s seem to be getting charged.

Yes your temporary exemption in Manchester looks like there is something irregular about how your van is registered, as it should be exempt. I'm sure you have Ad Blue?

Temporary seems to relate to Motorhomes/MotorCaravans being in the undecided class for whether in or out of charges later.

Temporary seems to relate to Motorhomes/MotorCaravans being in the undecided class for whether in or out of charges later.
Yes but it's a temporary exemption for non euro 6 vans like mine, until May 23. A T6 Cali should be fully clear (exempt), without a time limit.

Yes but it's a temporary exemption for non euro 6 vans like mine, until May 23. A T6 Cali should be fully clear (exempt), without a time limit.
Yes, merely commenting on the Temporary being related to Motorcaravan status currently overriding emission class.

Didn't mention Euro6

Last edited:
Yes your temporary exemption in Manchester looks like there is something irregular about how your van is registered, as it should be exempt. I'm sure you have Ad Blue?
No don't have Adblue.
Not sure what you mean by Temporary until May? I thought it didn't start until May.

No don't have Adblue.
Not sure what you mean by Temporary until May? I thought it didn't start until May.
Starts May 2022 and temporary extension until May 2023 for certain classes.

Yes, merely commenting on the Temporary being related to Motorcaravan status currently overriding emission class.

Didn't mention Euro6
To be clear. There was a debate about whether campervans / Motorhomes should be excluded as they carry passengers not goods, but that failed, and they are included in the charge.
The temporary exemption to May 2023 is for all transit / transporter sized vans (all below 3.5T I think) and is nothing to do with whether they are campervans or plumbers vans.
What is showing here is that a few non T6 Cali's seem to be being fully excluded while others aren't, and there appears to be no logic for that..... Other than the old debates we used to have about different details (body type, mpv vs PLG) being supplied by vw to the DVLA.

To be clear. There was a debate about whether campervans / Motorhomes should be excluded as they carry passengers not goods, but that failed, and they are included in the charge.
The temporary exemption to May 2023 is for all transit / transporter sized vans (all below 3.5T I think) and is nothing to do with whether they are campervans or plumbers vans.
What is showing here is that a few non T6 Cali's seem to be being fully excluded while others aren't, and there appears to be no logic for that..... Other than the old debates we used to have about different details (body type, mpv vs PLG) being supplied by vw to the DVLA.
Motorcaravans (also known as motorhomes or campervans) with Euro 6 or cleaner emission standards are compliant and will not be charged to drive in the Clean Air Zone

Just to clarify, the issue is if the vehicle is classed as an LGV (light goods vehicle category N)

From Manchester CAZ

Non-compliant vehicles classified as N1 or N2 – with a body type of ‘motorcaravan’ – will be charged to travel in the Clean Air Zone:

• N1 (3.5t and under) with a tax class of LGV: If your motorcaravan has a Euro 5 or earlier diesel engine (typically registered before 2016) or a Euro 3 or earlier petrol engine (typically registered before 2005) it will automatically qualify for a temporary exemption until 1 June 2023, with a daily charge of £10 from that date.
  • Blank on V5C document: Daily charges will apply as above, depending on the tax class of your vehicle – LGV, private HGV or HGV.

Has anyone got a Euro5 California but classed as an “MPV” that could check against the Manchester CAZ to see if it exempt until June 2023 or exempt completely?

Only conversions of M1 classed Kombis, Shuttles or Caravelles (unlikely) with Euro 5 engines would appear to be exempt according to the above definition.

Again anyone watching with an M1 class euro5 camper conversion would be interested to see if it flags as temporary to June 2023 or fully exempt.

Back