Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Greetings from Waterford Ireland

Johnny3555

Johnny3555

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Coast 150
We are a about to retire couple living on the coast near Dunmore East Co. Waterford and are privileged to have just bought a 2017 VW Californium Coast and hope to take it on some trips in Ireland as well as an extended trip through the UK and France, Spain and hopefully Morocco this winter. We use it as a normal vehicle and overflow our house is full! Our main concern is to improve the comfort of the beds as on our first night I found it difficult due to back pain. We’re determined to sort it out with a modified mattress and getting used to it. We live on a quiet seaside farm and would be open to the occasional VW for overnight stays.

Welcome Johnny! A picture of your new van is customary...
:Grin

Well for 1, you have got a real good van there being a coast :thumb

and for 2, that is a great invite and i would like to think i could
come and stay at your seaside farm one day,

Enjoy your Cali life, you will surely enjoy it.

Welcome!

We have the comfort mattress and the zonesleep, but it’s still not great. I’m still trying to work out if it’s where the belt buckles are or there is a slight helight change around the lower back area.

My advice would be to go for a duvalay topper- gold - they seem to level out anything!

Either way good luck!!

Welcome Johnny!

I too suffer from lower back pain. We bought 2 Duvalay Freshtec mattresses in 58cm width, a perfect fit for the top bed. We place them side by side on top of the VW mattress, this giving us a great sleep. They store fine down below when the roof is lowered.

Good evening and welcome,

May the weather be gentle, the roads smooth and the van always be working on all your trips.

I can imagine how you feel with the downstairs mattress. At the moment my back is killing me too, which was a problem during our summer holiday. So far we haven't found a solution (I don't want to spend hundreds of Euros for a replacement mattress if I don't know if it improves the sleep comfort). Friday week we had a look at the Grand California 600 at our VW dealer in Dublin. Wow, was the mattress so comfortable, I would like to have that one in the van.

All the best from Kildare and always save journey.

Regards,
Eberhard

We live on a quiet seaside farm and would be open to the occasional VW for overnight stays.
Wow! What a generous first post! And just about an hour and a half from Rosslare I guess?

Would you accept a family including two feral boys aged 4 & 5?

If you pass through London on the UK leg of your trip, we can offer you a hot meal and comfortable bed an hour from Folkestone.

Last edited:
We are a about to retire couple living on the coast near Dunmore East Co. Waterford and are privileged to have just bought a 2017 VW Californium Coast and hope to take it on some trips in Ireland as well as an extended trip through the UK and France, Spain and hopefully Morocco this winter. We use it as a normal vehicle and overflow our house is full! Our main concern is to improve the comfort of the beds as on our first night I found it difficult due to back pain. We’re determined to sort it out with a modified mattress and getting used to it. We live on a quiet seaside farm and would be open to the occasional VW for overnight stays.
:welcome Happy travels
That’s a very generous offer we will be touring Ireland next year so we will contact when making our plans provided you are okay with us having 2 beautiful beagles with us :)

:welcome Happy travels
That’s a very generous offer we will be touring Ireland next year so we will contact when making our plans provided you are okay with us having 2 beautiful beagles with us :)
Should not be a problem if under control - we have sheep on the farm. John

Welcome!

We have the comfort mattress and the zonesleep, but it’s still not great. I’m still trying to work out if it’s where the belt buckles are or there is a slight helight change around the lower back area.

My advice would be to go for a duvalay topper- gold - they seem to level out anything!

Either way good luck!!
Thanks Duvalay seems to tick the box - we have to get it right so appreciate the advice

Wow! What a generous first post! And just about an hour and a half from Rosslare I guess?

Would you accept a family including two feral boys aged 4 & 5?

If you pass through London on the UK leg of your trip, we can offer you a hot meal and comfortable bed an hour from Folkestone.
Thanks for your message- yes I’m sure they will be fine. We have our grandchildren here at present and house busy! Yes we’re about 1.5 hrs from Rosslare. Will think about your Folkestone stay / plan not fully worked out yet. Thanks - John

Welcome Johnny!

I too suffer from lower back pain. We bought 2 Duvalay Freshtec mattresses in 58cm width, a perfect fit for the top bed. We place them side by side on top of the VW mattress, this giving us a great sleep. They store fine down below when the roof is lowered.

Many thanks for this adv - just ordered two from Duvalay together with zipped sheets. Looking forward to seeing the outcome!

Back