Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Grey Water Tank

N

Nansvan

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Have been flushing the water tanks through for the season - both have been drained for the winter. Fresh water fine but nothing appears to be emptying from the grey water tank. I have poured hot water with cleaner in down it and a flush through from the fresh water but nothing will come out when drain opened. Took for a drive to slosh it all about - still no luck. Can't see how to get to the tank otherwise - any ideas/suggestions?

Have been flushing the water tanks through for the season - both have been drained for the winter. Fresh water fine but nothing appears to be emptying from the grey water tank. I have poured hot water with cleaner in down it and a flush through from the fresh water but nothing will come out when drain opened. Took for a drive to slosh it all about - still no luck. Can't see how to get to the tank otherwise - any ideas/suggestions?

I think I have read of a similar problem on here somewhere and seem to remember the solution was to stick a hosepipe up the waste water drain pipe, It comes out under the van, just in front of the nearside rear wheel. Make sure the drain tap is turned on and then turn on the hosepipe and hopefully that will shift any blockage. Be prepared as it may not be the only drenching you get this weekend lol!

Just a thought, it is a good idea to put the washing up bowl upside down in the sink (over the plug hole) just in case it blows back.

We were thinking of trying this next - will see how wet we get!

Tried the suggestion = think it just went up the outlet pipe but not into the tank! Eventually resorted to Mr Muscle pipe unblocker and left it in overnight. Filled with hot water and hey presto a result!! Thoroughly washed through with warm water. Think I will do this at the end of each season to check all muck is out.

Tried the suggestion = think it just went up the outlet pipe but not into the tank! Eventually resorted to Mr Muscle pipe unblocker and left it in overnight. Filled with hot water and hey presto a result!! Thoroughly washed through with warm water. Think I will do this at the end of each season to check all muck is out.

Glad you managed to get it sorted.

As anyone got a photo of where the waist water exit point is please ? Cannot find mine and don’t want to stick the hose up something i shouldn’t ☹️

As anyone got a photo of where the waist water exit point is please ? Cannot find mine and don’t want to stick the hose up something i shouldn’t ☹️
5E40254B-49D8-48DD-AB05-7BB07E625397.jpegIt’s the tube at bottom left of picture located in front of the near side rear wheel.

Well cannot see the end of the pipe , so cannot stick a hose pipe up it, did try blowing air down the sink hole with drain open and sealing were i put the air line down the sink hole , did build up some pressure but nothing came out, could anyone recommend a drain un blocker solution that is safe to put down ??

Well cannot see the end of the pipe , so cannot stick a hose pipe up it, did try blowing air down the sink hole with drain open and sealing were i put the air line down the sink hole , did build up some pressure but nothing came out, could anyone recommend a drain un blocker solution that is safe to put down ??
I would be careful using any unblocking solutions… they can be pretty brutal! Might be worth seeing if you can open the access cover under the sink. You might be able to get a flexible “rod” down the drain….. If the tank is full you might need to siphon it out first!

Last edited:
Before doing anything else I would locate the drainage pipe outlet. Maybe remove the plastic undertray in front of the near side rear wheel first.

Just removed the tray on one side and the pipe is just shorter that the one someone sent a picture off, still to far in to reach with hose so not sure what to do now ?

Just removed the tray on one side and the pipe is just shorter that the one someone sent a picture off, still to far in to reach with hose so not sure what to do now ?
If you can see the pipe why can't you push a hose end up it?

If you can see the pipe why can't you push a hose end up it?
Even if you can’t get a garden hose up there, you could try a get a smaller bit of tube into the drain and agitate any blockage or suck/blow it.

Back