Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water advice

TomSawyer

TomSawyer

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi all,

We took delivery of our van a couple of months ago and have used it three times. With busy lives for the next few years we think a weekend away every three weeks or so will be our usual.

So far, we've not filled the water tank or used the sink reckoning that once wet, if not used regularly we would risk stagnant water problems which presumably would be difficult/expensive to sort.

Can anyone advise based on similar experience - can we leave the fresh and grey water in the van for weeks at a time or do they need emptying after each trip?

Thanks.

I usually keep the fresh water flushed through if not using it for a couple of weeks but have never used the waste tank preferring to wash up elsewhere and leave the drain outlet open so the little that gets used to clean the sink occasionally just goes straight through...... works for me anyway...

al

In our other camper vans we always empty after each long trip and clean with a sterilising tablet before using again. That is because we use it infrequently and it ensures we know its clean. If you're filling from the home tap of course your water is slightly chlorinated (in the UK) which helps too but bacteria can still multiply in a fresh tank. A proper annual clean and flush is also a must.

If you always boil then you should be fine but if you intend to drink it or clean teeth etc I would always sterilise before each trip and empty at the end. I am sure many would say its overkill.

This has a lot of info that may be useful.

http://www.motorcaravanning.com/vehicles/water.htm
http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/1022808/water-matters-mo.pdf

Thanks for the help. Looks like we're doing the right thing for short irregular trips.

We sterilise in spring & keep replenishing as needed throughout the summer, drain down at the first hint of frost in the Autumn. 99% of our usage is either hosing down the dog or boiling for tea/coffee.

If your next question is about how to fill up, please search the archives before asking!! try looking for "hosegate"

I think it's better to have a regular flush through and keep the fresh water tank filled than to leave empty. There's no way draining results in a dry tank and leaving the "empty" tank damp and warm probably encourages bacteria more than a full tank of chlorinated water. Obviously you have to drain if freezing is likely.

I think it's better to have a regular flush through and keep the fresh water tank filled than to leave empty. There's no way draining results in a dry tank and leaving the "empty" tank damp and warm probably encourages bacteria more than a full tank of chlorinated water. Obviously you have to drain if freezing is likely.
We have used many CCC and C&MC sites over the last month, we found the drinking water in most was actually so overdosed with chlorine as to render it unpalatable even when boiled, we were reduced to buying bottled water every day, is this normal? We will now always fill the vans tank with our house supply and use that for drinking whilst touring and try the supply at each site and hope for the best.

I'm the forum oddball apparently, judging by the howls of scorn in the past, but I take my own drinking water with me. Nothing to do with purity, as many instantly assume, but everything to do with consistency, hard -soft - high/low mineralty - chlorine content etc.

Therefore my water usage from the tank is limited. However I do top the tank up when leaving home and drain it down and flush through when coming back home.

For carrying my own water I use 2.2 litre BPA free containers.

I'm the forum oddball apparently, judging by the howls of scorn in the past, but I take my own drinking water with me. Nothing to do with purity, as many instantly assume, but everything to do with consistency, hard -soft - high/low mineralty - chlorine content etc.

Therefore my water usage from the tank is limited. However I do top the tank up when leaving home and drain it down and flush through when coming back home.

For carrying my own water I use 2.2 litre BPA free containers.
I usually take a large water bottle from the supermarket (which I top up before I leave home with drinking water and again if I'm away for a while). I do use the tank in the van, but for kettle use and everything else. As I like drinking water on its own, I got used to doing this when we had a caravan as I didn't fancy drinking the water out of our aquarolls, despite sterilising them regularly.

We have used many CCC and C&MC sites over the last month, we found the drinking water in most was actually so overdosed with chlorine as to render it unpalatable even when boiled, we were reduced to buying bottled water every day, is this normal? We will now always fill the vans tank with our house supply and use that for drinking whilst touring and try the supply at each site and hope for the best.
Are you saying that the CCC and the C&MC treat their own water? Surely the water that comes out of their taps is just what is supplied by the local water company.

Are you saying that the CCC and the C&MC treat their own water? Surely the water that comes out of their taps is just what is supplied by the local water company.
I cannot give a explanation, you are correct it seems unlikely they treat their own supply but we could not stomach the smell/taste of some of the drinking water supplied at these locations.

That is nothing to do with the site, just the local water supplier. All reservoir water has to be treated as does water taken from rivers. Some more than others. There is a significant variation and " taste" of water around the country.

Is this a joke post? Does he really think camp sites have their own water treatment plants?

Is this a joke post? Does he really think camp sites have their own water treatment plants?
Sorry to disappoint you but I have worked in the water supply/treatment industry and understand the process completely.
We have only been using club camp sites for three months, we own a boat and have used marinas and harbours all along the south coast/Channel Islands and France for years without ever encountering any problem with drinking water. I was just enquiring with the members of this forum to see if they had similar experiences, it seems not.
I presume It must have been just an unlucky run of enhanced local water treatment that whilst not to our taste is acceptable to most.

We always use water from the site taps for drinking and cooking, which has always been fine. We've always found that the water tastes different in different parts of the country. Like Verity, we started doing this when caravanning as the water from plastic aquarolls is awful!

It's far from inconceivable that they would have their own treatment plant. In a remote location it's cheaper to sink a borehole and fit a pump etc than have mains water connected.

We had horrible tasting water in my area for a few years, it's what the water companies do if they are replacing water mains or have a lot of water leaks. It helps avoid nasty bacteria getting into the water and causing problems.

Although there is a minimum chlorine level apparently there is no legal maximum.

I expect it's simply the water in the whole area (not just the site) and a sign they have lots of pipe works or leaks going on in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back