Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gruetzi from Switzerland

swizzle

swizzle

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
Hi All,

We've been snooping around the forum for a while now and have found such a wealth of info to assist our decision making process. Thanks :thumb

Today we finally pulled the trigger on an Indium Grey 150hp, DSG 4Motion Beach and are looking forward to picking it up next week just in time for summer holidays. :bananadance

Can't wait to check out more of Switzerland and the rest of Europe.

Cheers!

Welcome , pretty soon the non - UK members will have the upper hand , at the tempo the new members from out the UK are joining!

Welcome swizzle!Look forward to see some pics! Where did you get your Cali from?

Welcome swizzle!Look forward to see some pics! Where did you get your Cali from?

We are getting it through AMAG in Dubendorf (Zurich). Was a lucky find, there were only 2 in Switzerland with our preferred spec (incl. the comfort "flash" dash).

Hey Swizzle congratulations and welcome to the forum.
I got mine at AMAG in Dubendorf also. Small tip, make sure you check everything when you pick up, mine was missing a couple of small things.
Are you local?

Hey Swizzle congratulations and welcome to the forum.
I got mine at AMAG in Dubendorf also. Small tip, make sure you check everything when you pick up, mine was missing a couple of small things.
Are you local?

Thanks for the tip. We need to work our way through the handover list. Is there anything in particular you picked up on during the process with Amag?

Yes, we are local to Zurich.

Thanks for the tip. We need to work our way through the handover list. Is there anything in particular you picked up on during the process with Amag?
Not really anything specific, just check the little things. Mine's an Ocean and it was missing the emergency roof tie down straps (not sure if you get those with a Beach) and a strap for the inside folding table (I am sure you don't get that with a Beach)
Good luck and don't forget to wave if you see a Biege Ocean around.

Grüezi Swissle! Enjoyings in your super versatile Beach up, around & down the passes :)

I am in Ticino later this month and hopefully the solar panel arrives in time or I'll be swigging warm beer!

Gruezi!

My other half is Swiss German and from Zurich. Sge is neither interested in cars, outdoors, or even skiing! Has never driven any of my sports cars either!

Was going to upgrade her 5 seater German 4x4 with 7 seater but waa bored by them all. So Cali Beach arriving in Sept. Sadly without comfort dash or 4 Motion. I am planning to take it to Switzerland asap.

:)

We started off looking at 'SUVs', 4x4's or anything with enough juice to tow 2BHP and found that they are small inside, offer little for what you pay or are too expensive and we could import a new Beach for a little more than a Kia Sportage, let alone a German SUV.

A little less refinement on the T5s, but the versatility is worth so much, it's super easy to drive, comfortable, and, and... Best buy ever! Enjoyings...

We made it out for our first trip. 6 nights in the Alps on the French side of Switzerland.

Loving the Cali - but need to get an insulated topper ASAP. Temperature was 2 degrees last night!

:)

We started off looking at 'SUVs', 4x4's or anything with enough juice to tow 2BHP and found that they are small inside, offer little for what you pay or are too expensive and we could import a new Beach for a little more than a Kia Sportage, let alone a German SUV.

A little less refinement on the T5s, but the versatility is worth so much, it's super easy to drive, comfortable, and, and... Best buy ever! Enjoyings...

You could import a Cali for less than the price of a Kia Sportage?

In the UK, Cali prices same as new BMW X5, Audi Q7, Merc GLS, Volvo XC 90!

You lucky Swiss!

You could import a Cali for less than the price of a Kia Sportage?

In the UK, Cali prices same as new BMW X5, Audi Q7, Merc GLS, Volvo XC 90!

You lucky Swiss!
Paid a little more than a Kia through a 're-import' from a VW dealer in Austria via Germany - saving 33% on the Swiss price. Those were the days!

This very cheap import option is now all but gone through a large 'CO2' tax on cars privately imported into Switzerland; a tax that doesn't impact importers since they only pay if their fleet average is over 130g. e.g. VW have many 'cleaner' small cars which offsets the 'dirty' Calis and Touaregs, so they can still compete.

The Swiss Cali prices seem to have actually reduced a lot since then with an almost fully specced Ocean now cheaper than a base X5(?!) and cheaper than what I would have paid for a maxed-out Beach back in 2010! Crazy.

Paid a little more than a Kia through a 're-import' from a VW dealer in Austria via Germany - saving 33% on the Swiss price. Those were the days!

This very cheap import option is now all but gone through a large 'CO2' tax on cars privately imported into Switzerland; a tax that doesn't impact importers since they only pay if their fleet average is over 130g. e.g. VW have many 'cleaner' small cars which offsets the 'dirty' Calis and Touaregs, so they can still compete.

The Swiss Cali prices seem to have actually reduced a lot since then with an almost fully specced Ocean now cheaper than a base X5(?!) and cheaper than what I would have paid for a maxed-out Beach back in 2010! Crazy.

Aha!

You might then be amused by a thread I started about future Cali prices, both new and used.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/gbp-depreciation-vs-future-vw-cali-price.15097/

Do read it if you time/inclination.

I should have gone to Switzerland and bought myself an Ocean a few months ago before the antics of an broker resulted in the depreciation of the GBP exhange rate!

Aha!

You might then be amused by a thread I started about future Cali prices, both new and used.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/gbp-depreciation-vs-future-vw-cali-price.15097/

Do read it if you time/inclination.

I should have gone to Switzerland and bought myself an Ocean a few months ago before the antics of an broker resulted in the depreciation of the GBP exhange rate!

Yes, saw some yesterday, need to catchup.

Based on the more decent Exchange rate earlier in the year, it would have cost you around £50,000 gross for a top-end Swiss Ocean. Less 8% swiss tax since you're exporting it, then plus 20% UK VAT, it would be ~£55,000.

Yes, saw some yesterday, need to catchup.

Based on the more decent Exchange rate earlier in the year, it would have cost you around £50,000 gross for a top-end Swiss Ocean. Less 8% swiss tax since you're exporting it, then plus 20% UK VAT, it would be ~£55,000.

And that takes away any arbitrage.....

Based on the recent exchange rate driven by unmentionable process!

Back