Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gybe Bus Tent

Frankyworthy

Frankyworthy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Gybe Bus Tent

OK after much deliberation (and advice from @Kmann ) we took the plunge and bought the Gybe awning. We are now in Croatia with it having used it in the Lakes a few times to get used to it and ‘learn’ it.

It takes a bit of getting used to but now goes up in about 10 minutes and another 5 to ‘furnish’ the room with table, outdoor kitchen, and bits and bobs.

Yes it is expensive, a considered purchase, but then so is buying a Cali in the first place if you appreciate high quality, good design and efficient function. In short, we love it. You get a large extra room, it looks cool and it’s easy to uncouple the van and leave behind all secure and pegged down. Finally, packed away it only takes up a third of the lower boot space.

18ACDBED-4BC5-43DA-8F68-D65D26D2246A.jpeg

CF16B7B4-5BC7-4F4C-8689-059C327A36B6.jpeg

36C389DA-EBDB-4565-ADD6-89AB12D4225B.jpeg

We looked at the Gybe in Denmark last year, wow its a great setup and seems to barely move even in strong wind. I would love one, they look even more impressive once setup inside.

Gybe Bus Tent

OK after much deliberation (and advice from @Kmann ) we took the plunge and bought the Gybe awning. We are now in Croatia with it having used it in the Lakes a few times to get used to it and ‘learn’ it.

It takes a bit of getting used to but now goes up in about 10 minutes and another 5 to ‘furnish’ the room with table, outdoor kitchen, and bits and bobs.

Yes it is expensive, a considered purchase, but then so is buying a Cali in the first place if you appreciate high quality, good design and efficient function. In short, we love it. You get a large extra room, it looks cool and it’s easy to uncouple the van and leave behind all secure and pegged down. Finally, packed away it only takes up a third of the lower boot space.

View attachment 45599

View attachment 45600

View attachment 45601
The awning looks amazing, so thanks for sharing. Whereabouts in Croatia are you and what's the name of the campsite? We're thinking about heading that way in the summer and it looks like a great spot.

The awning looks amazing, so thanks for sharing. Whereabouts in Croatia are you and what's the name of the campsite? We're thinking about heading that way in the summer and it looks like a great spot.
Hi James,
We are on Korćula island just outside Korćula town on a campsite called Port 9. It’s a well positioned camp site adjoining a holiday complex but set well apart from it. There are only us and two others on the site so we selected the best spot by the water front. Van and couple costs 20 euro per night. There is a 5 min taxi boat to Korćula town, or a nice 17 min walk. It also has a supermarket over the road, nice wash blocks and a couple of on site bars. It’s possible to bathe from the site and
also use the pool. In short, it has loads to offer although prices go up on 01/06.

[
Hi James,
We are on Korćula island just outside Korćula town on a campsite called Port 9. It’s a well positioned camp site adjoining a holiday complex but set well apart from it. There are only us and two others on the site so we selected the best spot by the water front. Van and couple costs 20 euro per night. There is a 5 min taxi boat to Korćula town, or a nice 17 min walk. It also has a supermarket over the road, nice wash blocks and a couple of on site bars. It’s possible to bathe from the site and
also use the pool. In short, it has loads to offer although prices go up on 01/06.
Hi, looks a great set-up. Are you able to share how much you paid for the Gybe and where you bought it from. Been looking at these for a while and seeing it set up again has started me thinking again. Did you buy any extras with it?

QUOTE="Frankyworthy, post: 351323, member: 9282"]
Gybe Bus Tent

View attachment 45599

View attachment 45600

View attachment 45601
[/QUOTE]
Gybe Bus Tent

View attachment 45599

View attachment 45600

View attachment 45601

Hi James,
Hi
It costs about £1300 and has to be bought directly from the supplier unless you can find a second hand one somewhere. It comes complete with hold-all ruck sack thing and a very efficient foot pump

Hi James,

Been there as well. Nice spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi
It costs about £1300 and has to be bought directly from the supplier unless you can find a second hand one somewhere. It comes complete with hold-all ruck sack thing and a very efficient foot pump
Hi, thanks for info - I emailed Gybe earlier today regarding the set-up. How is the Gybe attached to the Cali. Do you have to remove the existing awning? I had the following reply from Gybe.
“Unfortunately the tent doesn`t fit to the awning. You can only fix awning or Gybe Bustent to the car.”
Slightly confused .
Kevin

Hi, thanks for info - I emailed Gybe earlier today regarding the set-up. How is the Gybe attached to the Cali. Do you have to remove the existing awning? I had the following reply from Gybe.
“Unfortunately the tent doesn`t fit to the awning. You can only fix awning or Gybe Bustent to the car.”
Slightly confused .
Kevin
Not very helpful.

You remove the existing awning canopy.

The Gybe uses a transition collar / sleeve which is attached to the boot and bonnet hinges and which slides down the roof track. It’s about 18 inches wide.

You then zip on your bus tent, inflate the superstructure and peg it down.

Hi, thanks for the info. Was the awning easy to remove and do you miss the side awning?

Hi, thanks for the info. Was the awning easy to remove and do you miss the side awning?
Yes it just requires a spare pair of hands and removal of some bolts. We’ve even taken the brackets off too.

Do we miss it? Not really. Perhaps for an overnighter on a camp site but not when we’re wild camping and trying to look unobtrusive.
For any stay of more than 1 night we will always put the a Gybe up as we’re getting better at it every time and then you can get properly set up. Once inflated it really is very rigid and robust as we found during a good old Lakeland storm in March.

I am thinking that this is just what we have been looking for - I am a bit of a sucker for things that are made well. I have been pondering over the one nigher and think that my existing Brandrup front panel and the two legs extendable would carry the shortfall. Any thoughts on the colour - our California is red so currently looking at the is option. Thanks again for your help with this. Hopefully we can share note in the future.

Yes. Just need some decent weather now. Off to Jelsa tomorrow.

Jelsa is also nice … we stayed on a seaview spot at Camp Holyday. Walking distance from the small village …

IMG_5528.JPG

I am thinking that this is just what we have been looking for - I am a bit of a sucker for things that are made well. I have been pondering over the one nigher and think that my existing Brandrup front panel and the two legs extendable would carry the shortfall. Any thoughts on the colour - our California is red so currently looking at the is option. Thanks again for your help with this. Hopefully we can share note in the future.

We can't recommend the Gybe enough. We have been using it for so many things. It literally just was the gamechanger on the Heartland Music Festival this weekend. Despite wind and rain, it gave the perfect shelter. We are just so happy with ours. We even celebrated New Year's Eve on the beach :)

Removing the Thule Awning is not that difficult. Setting back on, the biggest struggle is getting the rubber seal back in place, but it is no big deal. We now only use the Thule thru high summer when we need more wind and breeze to come thru. But for far most situations the gybe is superior.

sJy0ZliiT7OXXXFs92Jhpg.jpg

Hi Iben & Henrik,
I see you have lights within the Gybe tent. We've just acquired a Bus Tent and apart from one loop above the vehicle door, there's nowhere to attach things at roof-height. How do you attach yours, please?

Hi Cath and Stef, did you buy a groundsheet for your bus tent? What size did you go for please?