Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

H4 head light bulb upgrade

R

Resfeber

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I can personally recommend these to replace the standard H7's Great improvement on dipped and main. My last car had LED's Audi Q3 sportline plus, so found the standard H7's a problem due to range, poorer definition and the change in colour temperature from the blue white of LED to Yellower light of Halogen.

The night breakers have a blue band that changes the main to a slightly whiter bluer light than the dipped.
As to fitting it is tight between the back of the light units and other components.
You have to work blind but without touching the bulb glass Plastic gloves good plenty about, to stop oil from your skin contaminating the glass which causes early failure.
Best to use a hand mirror to get the lie of the land so to speak.
I found Extracting the old bulb worked better with leaving the connector block on and giving it a firm tug but try not to shatter the bulb on the edge of the opening if you overdo the tug
Good news is that when you get the new bulb aligned correctly, they snap in perfectly.
As I said it is tight behind the lamp units. Expect the odd skinned knuckle.

Good luck

C

calibeach76

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I've matrix LED in the A7 but in the Cali it is an H4. I think it is looking like an osrsm +150%

Azteccamper

Azteccamper

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
If you post a picture of your headlight, I might give you the answer, but I suppose you have the H7 headlights, just like me.
Quick answer:
Ignite your dipped headlights and the high beams. Look at your headlights (don't look directly into the light!!!). Do you see your dipped headlights on the outside and the high beams on the inside? You have H7.
If your dipped and high beams are the same bulb, you have H4.
Thank you. I will try that tomorrow.

B J G

B J G

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Thanks.
Hope you get good life and longevity out of them. Bloody reviews on Amazon holding me back a bit. Whinging about not lasting long(probably due to poor fitment or touching the globe) and not much difference in increase in light.
Philips 150% been in for nearly 3 years, no idea how many hours switched on. GE +150% bulbs for 2 years. Osram +150% since last August. No failures.

Did you know according to a bulb survey that I read that all Halogen bulbs deteriorate over time and recommend replacing every 2 years. Personally never considered bulbs having a life but makes sense based on past experience.

TripleBee

TripleBee

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Did you know according to a bulb survey that I read that all Halogen bulbs deteriorate over time and recommend replacing every 2 years. Personally never considered bulbs having a life but makes sense based on past experience.
Then why are all my bulbs, except for number plate lights (from closing the lid with lights on), still the originals after 145000 km (90000mi) from 2010.
DRL's are always on when driving... And halogen...
Even the made to die soon H7 ones?