Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which headlight bulbs?

ThisIsChristoph

ThisIsChristoph

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
We recently purchased our 2020 6.1 Coast and are delighted with it. I've been looking into a number of threads on the topic of headlights and am still confused about which headlight bulbs I need (also as a spares kit for our upcoming mainland Europe travel). The manual doesn't seem to list the bulb types needed which I found surprising. We have the 'standard' non-LED (halogen?) headlights. Is it the same bulb for the dipped beam and the main beam - H7? H4?
I'd be happy spending some extra cash on some extra light and and from some threads there appear to be people who are swearing by Osram and GE bulbs (120% 150%?) and exciting sounding ones like Night Breaker Laser. I called our not-terribly-local VW van centre and they said it would be £53 for three (different?) bulbs, including the 1.5h round trip.
So which bulbs should I order, and where from?

I've also been wondering about replacing the DRLs with LED lamps - again, which type of bulb would I need and if you've done this, which bulbs do you recommend?

It'd be really good to have a sheet in the Resources section on which models need which bulbs, it's been confusing reading some pretty old threads on what bulbs are used on which model.
Thanks all!

Osram now do a 200% version so go for those. Swapped my 150 dip ones and noticeable improvement.
If you have separate dip and mainbeam light units they will be H7 bulbs.

I put LED bulbs in my DRL's on my T6 with no problems, I'm not sure as to which type are in the T6.1 but T20 W21W were in mine, careful not to order the dual filament W21/5W version. Awkward to get at.
H7 were a pull out push in fit on T6 - no clips.
Worth fitting LEDs in the reversing lights if not already fitted.

I haven't had a bulb fail as yet, 5 years.

Am I right in thinking that LED bulbs don't trigger bulb failure warnings on a 6.1?

Osram now do a 200% version so go for those. Swapped my 150 dip ones and noticeable improvement.
If you have separate dip and mainbeam light units they will be H7 bulbs.

I put LED bulbs in my DRL's on my T6 with no problems, I'm not sure as to which type are in the T6.1 but T20 W21W were in mine, careful not to order the dual filament W21/5W version. Awkward to get at.
H7 were a pull out push in fit on T6 - no clips.
Worth fitting LEDs in the reversing lights if not already fitted.

I haven't had a bulb fail as yet, 5 years.

Thank you! These are our headlights - looks like separate dip and main beams, right?
Our rear lights are, I believe, all LEDs.
Amazing that you’ve had bulbs last that long long. My last car (many years ago) ate through about one bulb a year.
If anyone has more advice specific to 6.1 front light bulb types I’d be grateful!
a29345d1fece8768c0654262f1a76d29.jpg

Thank you! These are our headlights - looks like separate dip and main beams, right?
Amazing that you’ve had bulbs last that long long. My last car (many years ago) ate through about one bulb a year.
If anyone has more advice specific to 6.1 front light bulb types I’d be grateful!
My Osram Night breakers will be 8 yrs old in December.

Easy way to tell is to switch on headlights in Dip mode, look at headlight then switch on Mainbeam. If only one headlight light on, same one as dip, then H4 Headlights. If 2 lights now on (on each side) then H7 bubs in each light, 4 bulbs in total.

Access on T6 was difficult due to Air Filter Box and Battery I'd assume T6.1 is similar.

We also have a Coast T6.1 2021. I was reading on the forum about upgrading the bulbs to the Osram Night breaker and everywhere i could find suggested that both main and low beam were H7.
Having bought 4 x H7 bulbs, i now find they are H7 for dip and H15 for main beam - so now to sort some H15s.
Lesson - dont believe everything written on the forum - check then buy !

Don't know what your panicking for. Buy a standard bulb kit to show the rozzers in eu from Halford for a few quid. Not many campers drive at night anyway in Europe, you will be parked up and on the lash by sunset. They will never ask you anyway. Your headlamps will pribably be h7. Wait while one blows. Take it out and go buy the same one. Easy. Tell vw to stick their 153 quid where your lights don't shine. Ridiculous

We also have a Coast T6.1 2021. I was reading on the forum about upgrading the bulbs to the Osram Night breaker and everywhere i could find suggested that both main and low beam were H7.
Having bought 4 x H7 bulbs, i now find they are H7 for dip and H15 for main beam - so now to sort some H15s.
Lesson - dont believe everything written on the forum - check then buy !
H15 combines the DRL.
I, obviously mistakenly, thought that they were only found on T5.1 headlights.

Obvious when looked at

1676476807989.png