Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Handbrake position

Brianc26

Brianc26

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Can you lower the handbrake so you can leave it on to swivel the seat ?

Can you lower the handbrake so you can leave it on to swivel the seat ?
Converters do, but I think after market swivel/seats are higher than the Californias.

Much cheaper and simpler to just leave the handbrake off all the time :)

Just leave it in park or in gear on a manual.

Actually surprised that the new T6 doesn't have the electronic handbrake like the MK7 golfs do. VW appear to have taken all the rest of the technology package from the golf, so surely the electronic handbrake wouldn't be too hard - I reckon it would be handy on all T6's, it would help with all of the front seat layout options.

Maybe there are technical reasons why an electronic handbrake wouldn't work on a commercial vehicle?

I have a Landrover Discovery with and electronic parking brake, so there there doesn't seem any great reason why some thing similar wouldn't work on a T6 (the Disco is about the same size and weight as a Cali).

I guess the reason is that it would probably have to be fitted across the entire transporter range to make it worthwhile for VW.

Anyhow, the EPB on the Disco is a well known weak spot. Mine was replaced under warranty after failing (locked on) at lights at a busy junction in London. I know I'd rather put up with the minor inconvenience of the manual handbrake interfering with the drivers seat rotation than suffering that experience again.

Also the EPB on my Golf can be a bit nanny state - occasionally you want to open the door and see if you are parked near a kerb or over a white line - opening the door puts the brake on.

I imagine if it was fitted to a cali it would stop us moving the van with the roof up, side door open etc.. all of which I do regularly!

Although it may also stop me driving off with the EHU plugged in!

Swings and roundabouts :)

The after market hand brake lowering bracket does not allow for the brake to be on when the seat is swiveled. The reason for having to lower the hand brake on the aftermarket setup is because the seat structure is different, the plastic sides are lower and don't clear the hand brake lever as the seat is swiveled even when the brake is released.
Yes you do need to reach lower to operate / release the hand brake but it's a thing you get used to quickly. We have had both versions, original swivel seats and after market ones.

As above, park with the van in gear or 'park'.

As for EPB, is it reliable on a 3.2tonne vehicle with a loaded trailer behind when used in a commercial environment? I don't know but I maybe doubt it. We mustn't forget that in essence we are all driving a commercial vehicle with bells & whistles added for our needs.

Rod

I note the new Grand Cali has a handbrake which has a ratchet system and when it's on the handbrake is down. I wonder if the T6.1 will have the same function?

I think the T6.1 is the same as the T6 and doesnt drop down when its on.

Have a look at this and let me know what you think. This actually does enable chair spinning with the handbrake on. http://keetek.co.uk/calibrake/
Good find. That looks like a functional solution to the problem. If it had been available at the time of specifying my vehicle and paying thousands for small things, I would probably have selected it. Forking our £500 now? I will probably going to stick with the minor inconvenience of leaving it in gear.

Much cheaper and simpler to just leave the handbrake off all the time :)

Just leave it in park or in gear on a manual.

Unlike automatic boxes, the park position on DSG simply loosely engages a very small pin with a dog in the gearbox which which is not designed to hold the vehicle except temporarily. you risk damaging the box and/or it running away.

Trying to swivel the seat once you’ve got to the top of steep levelling ramps is interesting. You have to briefly rely on park but the engagement play lets it roll back a bit and then it gets almost stuck in park as the pin jams.

This kind of mechanism has been about for a long long time. Ford used it in their D series truck and a similar type known as a ratchet hand brake was used in military wartime vehicles. It made extra space in a confined cab. But totally agree it does solve a problem that VW should have tackled at the design stage long ago.

A better thought out hard brake would be a huge improvement, surprised they didn't sort it in the T6.1

Imagine the they had fitted an electronic brake and revised the seat swivel slightly so the driver could spin round without hassle!

This kind of mechanism has been about for a long long time. Ford used it in their D series truck and a similar type known as a ratchet hand brake was used in military wartime vehicles. It made extra space in a confined cab. But totally agree it does solve a problem that VW should have tackled at the design stage long ago.

Agree that a dropping handbrake in itself is nothing new. The way this is achieved isnt quite the same way in the handbrake lever itself and unique. The outcome is similar though.

Back