Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Shrouding for lowered handbrake....???

gt_63

gt_63

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hello again......
Recently installed my swivel seat plates and have today been faffing around sculpting the plastic cover plates behind the seat but have now moved in to the handbrake shrouding.........

Has anyone found a decent solution for re-engineering the existing covers ?
What does a T6 with factory installed swivel seats/lowered handbrake look like?

Hope someone out there can help as it looks awful without a cover and will probably look worse by the time I’ve hacked at it!!!

A206CBB4-3DC0-425D-8B64-3D7255D15A1F.jpeg

178F26E3-ED35-4F30-BDC7-240F9A617F65.jpeg

5370AB8D-FA89-4419-88EC-39E0650B844B.jpeg

A7E0F220-3B5D-4141-8A34-1C81C48014BE.jpeg

7058EE41-0ACC-46DD-B37A-AB853025EAEB.jpeg

64D6AEEB-FBD6-499A-B83D-05A10535EE5B.jpeg

Hello again......
Recently installed my swivel seat plates and have today been faffing around sculpting the plastic cover plates behind the seat but have now moved in to the handbrake shrouding.........

Hope someone out there can help as it looks awful without a cover and will probably look worse by the time I’ve hacked at it!!!

View attachment 48261

View attachment 48262

View attachment 48263

View attachment 48264

View attachment 48265

View attachment 48266
It’s very simple. They have Standard Handbrake with factory fitted Swivel chairs.

Stupid thing because we can't swivel the (for me) drivers seat with the handbrake lever applied.

Hello again......

View attachment 48261

View attachment 48262

View attachment 48263

View attachment 48264

View attachment 48265

View attachment 48266
I like what you’ve done. I haven’t done it myself so am just musing. The answers already state that VW have not come up with a good solution themselves to the problem of having to release the hand brake in order to swivel the seats.

I think a breakers yard to get a spare might be an idea as the next solution involves a Dremel..... It looks like, if you were to cut along the lines shown in red, you might be able to maintain a cover over the area where the hand brake bolts down. Then trim the outer lower part of the cover and discard. There’s a danger that it won’t look quite right but short of fabricating something new, this might be the only option. 0B282D6D-0C41-4273-BB51-AC162005955B.jpegB5A8131D-F932-4CD9-B603-3BFA6C2C98C5.jpeg

Thanx 4x4 for the drawings - maybe a decent template for a future Brandrup product retailing at >£300!!! LOL

If you're after some photos of a standard Cali handbrake, I can take some in the morning for you.

Interesting modification. I hope you have long arms to be able to reach the handbrake when it's down to pull it up. My wife finds it a stretch to reach down and pull up at its standard height

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you're after some photos of a standard Cali handbrake, I can take some in the morning for you.
Thanks for the offer - yes would appreciate an opportunity to see what the difference is. Much obliged

I have a California -2006. Never had problem. Just put it in 1st gear, release hand break and swivel...(?)

Doesn’t look like there’s much difference visually. I’ll nip over to my local dealer and see if they’ve got one in the showroom and do a physical comparison. If it IS different I’ll order a set - and post the part number in here. May be a while though as busy busy busy at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn’t look like there’s much difference visually. I’ll nip over to my local dealer and see if they’ve got one in the showroom and do a physical comparison. If it IS different I’ll order a set - and post the part number in here. May be a while though as busy busy busy at the moment

I’m not sure what you are trying to accomplish. I presume you have lowered the Handbrake so that you can turn the Drivers Seat with the Handbrake ON.
On the California the Handbrake height is Standard. You cannot turn the Drivers Seat Without taking the Handbrake Off, so the Plastic shroud is the same as the one you have removed.

I’m not sure what you are trying to accomplish. I presume you have lowered the Handbrake so that you can turn the Drivers Seat with the Handbrake ON.
On the California the Handbrake height is Standard. You cannot turn the Drivers Seat Without taking the Handbrake Off, so the Plastic shroud is the same as the one you have removed.

Same on my Beach. Just leave it in gear and spin the seat. If you should forget to re-engage the handbrake it doesn’t matter provided van is not in neutral.

Why not get the original bracket on the seat box removed and lowered (it also needs to move slightly forward) then the original plastic covering can be used with careful trimming of the bottom edge. If you want pictures let me know as I have two vehicles which have been modified like this.

Now you’ve confused me
I do agree the handbrake lever needs to be down when swivelling the seat but the original setting for the handbrake even when down wouldn’t allow the seat to swivel whether handbrake was up or down Bear in mind this is a retro fit as the previous owner didn’t have the swivel seat option
I’ve installed the plates from Jennings Swivel Seats (fitting instructions in german!) myself and installed the handbrake lowering bracket and now trying to reconfigure the trim to make it look decent again
You mention the handbrake is a standard fitting - so how does the factory fitted swivel seat manage to clear the handbrake (when down) ? I’d imagine the handbrake would be set lower or the swivel plates and seat are raised higher
Any thoughts or ideas still welcomed.....

Why not get the original bracket on the seat box removed and lowered (it also needs to move slightly forward) then the original plastic covering can be used with careful trimming of the bottom edge. If you want pictures let me know as I have two vehicles which have been modified like this.
Thanks Rod - yes would be interested to see how you did it

Now you’ve confused me
I do agree the handbrake lever needs to be down when swivelling the seat but the original setting for the handbrake even when down wouldn’t allow the seat to swivel whether handbrake was up or down Bear in mind this is a retro fit as the previous owner didn’t have the swivel seat option
I’ve installed the plates from Jennings Swivel Seats (fitting instructions in german!) myself and installed the handbrake lowering bracket and now trying to reconfigure the trim to make it look decent again
You mention the handbrake is a standard fitting - so how does the factory fitted swivel seat manage to clear the handbrake (when down) ? I’d imagine the handbrake would be set lower or the swivel plates and seat are raised higher
Any thoughts or ideas still welcomed.....
I suspect you have different(lower) seat bases than standard cali. were the previous seats the electrically adjustable ones?
Perhaps it would have been easier to fit the correct seat bases?

I suspect you have different(lower) seat bases than standard cali. were the previous seats the electrically adjustable ones?
Perhaps it would have been easier to fit the correct seat bases?
I think you are right. The non-swivel Comfort seats probably do have a modified seat .base.

My vehicles start life as a Kombi with factory height adjustable seats. I always use Sportscraft seat swivels also from Jennings (https://www.swivel-seats.com/vw-t5-t6/sportscraft-vw-t5-t6-handbrake-2015.html).
I discard the supplied hand brake lowering kit and have the original hand brake bracket re-located lower and slightly further forward then trim the bottom of the plastic shrouding to fit. This has to be done carefully as it's not a simple removal of the same depth of plastic all the way round.
IMG_20190807_092528_small.jpgIMG_20190807_092613_small.jpgIMG_20190807_092629_small.jpgIMG_20190807_092721_small.jpgIMG_20190807_092932_small.jpg

If you need me to measure the displacement of the bracket please ask.

Thank you all for your input and feedback and apologies for dipping out of the thread for so long - other priorities took over at home I’m afraid!
Will reacquaint myself with the thread and let you know how I get on
The Cali is a factory fitted seats without electric adjustments - just the heated seat elecs

I may be able to help you. I dont want to go into open forum just yet so will send you a message..

Hello again......

View attachment 48261

View attachment 48262

View attachment 48263

View attachment 48264

View attachment 48265

View attachment 48266
Hello again......

View attachment 48261

View attachment 48262

View attachment 48263

View attachment 48264

View attachment 48265

View attachment 48266
I had the same problem, I tried cutting the plastic but I just couldn’t get it to look right so I’ve ended up making a little box and covering in carpet.

Hello again......

View attachment 48261

View attachment 48262

View attachment 48263

View attachment 48264

View attachment 48265

View attachment 48266
Hi I had the same problem, tried cutting the plastic but just couldn’t get it to look right so ended up making a little box and covering it in carpet.
1588526928787.png

I had the same problem, I tried cutting the plastic but I just couldn’t get it to look right so I’ve ended up making a little box and covering in carpet.

Hi I had the same problem, tried cutting the plastic but just couldn’t get it to look right so ended up making a little box and covering it in carpet.
View attachment 58426
I got the handbrake lowering kit And now the seat swivels with the handbrake on

Thats a tidy little job Beko - thanks for sharing. Ive not done anything to mine yet - didn't realise it was so long ago! Will have to pull my finger out and crack on with it

Back