Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Happy Things/Thoughts/Videos/Jokes

It is a terrible situation.

But around 500 desperate migrants drowned off the coast of Greece last week. They received fewer rescue resources than these five, less news coverage, and probably less sympathy.

b9909e0c65029c1b11404fabcb5e09fe.jpg
Agree

“5 people, paying 250k to travel in an unsafe vessel to a dangerous place.

500 people, in an unsafe vessel, trying desperately to get to a safe place.

Why do some people feel such a connection with the first group, but not the second?”

The whole world is a joke and sometimes I’d like to step off tbh.
But then you meet some good people / start a good job at an amazing company and life becomes worth it.
Gota keep going with the good fight.
Nothing else will do.

Agree

“5 people, paying 250k to travel in an unsafe vessel to a dangerous place.

500 people, in an unsafe vessel, trying desperately to get to a safe place.

Why do some people feel such a connection with the first group, but not the second?”
I can't see anyone making jokes about 500 people drowning.....

Frontex navies have rescued over 690,000 people trying to sail to other countries, to me that doesn’t sound like they are not trying.

Last edited:

Frontex navies have rescued over 690,000 people trying to sail to other countries, to me that doesn’t sound like they are not trying.
I’m not too sure I mentioned jokes Andy.

And no one (in this forum) made any jokes about 5 billionaires drowning either. The joke was about putting two other billionaires, specifically Elon Musk and Mark Zuckerberg, on a submarine together to fight out their differences.

I’m sorry you found it “beyond bad taste”.

And no one (in this forum) made any jokes about 5 billionaires drowning either.
I’m sorry you found it “beyond bad taste”.
Are you genuinely suggesting that your reference about putting people in a 6 metre submarine and sending them to look at the titanic has nothing do with 5 billionaires drowning?

You followed up with "It wasn’t a serious suggestion" - what was it then?

Its either meant to be funny ie a joke, or you were being serious - which was it?

Last edited:
Confirmed the debris field is large enough to expect all 5 have passed. RIP

Are you genuinely suggesting that your reference about putting people in a 6 metre submarine and sending them to look at the titanic has nothing do with 5 billionaires drowning?

You followed up with "It wasn’t a serious suggestion" - what was it then?

Its either meant to be funny ie a joke, or you were being serious - which was it?

I am seriously suggesting that the joke was about Elon Musk and Mark Zuckerberg going on the same sub.

I cannot possibly have been joking about 5 billionaires drowning: at the time I believed they might be suffocating. But I wasn’t joking about that either. I was joking about putting Musk and Zuckerberg in the same or similar risky situation.

I’ve been on a small sub years back. Only down to 145ft, which to be honest was enough. Great experience, but not something I would do again. It’s very confined and if something goes wrong, you really are in a heap of mess.

That capsule they’ve gone in…
Jesus, alarm bells would’ve been ringing when he pulled out the Logitech control pad.
I feel most sorry for the young lad. Very sad.
This would have been enough for me. Luxury all the way..........the Logitech controller is the cherry on the top. RIP but at least it was quick and painless.

FzEvr74aQAAvTUN.jpg

This would have been enough for me. Luxury all the way..........the Logitech controller is the cherry on the top. RIP but at least it was quick and painless.

View attachment 110164

It just goes to prove, you don’t need to be smart to be rich.
I’m convinced the majority of billionaires, we’re simply very lucky or in the right place at the right time.

I’m convinced the majority of billionaires, we’re simply very lucky or in the right place at the right time.
i think you do need to be smart to be rich. unfortunately not all people that are smart end up rich. But they very seldom end up poor unlike the less smart. Of course being smart you do need to be at the right place at the right time, but you also need to be very well awake with open eyes and hunt for the opportunities that will present to you. If you grab a good one it can propel you into being very successful financially. Of course "financially" is not the only metric to define "successfulness" but in business it does. This is what concerns entrepreneurs. CEOs is a different story, but they are seldom billionaires.

Unless inherited, I think you need to be both ruthless and driven to be a billionaire.

Unless inherited, I think you need to be both ruthless and driven to be a billionaire.
1 in 5 billionaires are psychopaths. Apparently.
(According to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez)

You seem to be saying it's ok to let people drown to act as a deterrent?
Or have I misunderstood?

I don’t think you have fully misunderstood. But it is not the view of the poster, but the poster expressing the unspoken view of others, in particular the Greek coastguard.

You seem to be saying it's ok to let people drown to act as a deterrent?
Or have I misunderstood?
It is never ok to let people die of course. Thinking that Europe should be hosting, indefinitely, anyone who makes the voyage at sea with the purpose of being rescued and than brought to Europe will inevitably cause more death as there isn't a capability to save all the illegal immigrants.
Many departs with a ship from countries who are not at war, many end up in trouble with their vessels closer to shores of countries in north Africa which are not at war and are safe. Unfortunately they don't provide so much financial assistance like in the EU. It was especially for this reason of assistance to "refugees" that one big and rich country which was once in the EU, decided not to be told about having to share the assistance to such economic migrants contributing to worsen the influx from further south that they decided they wanted out. We can't really blame that country, can we ?

A
It is never ok to let people die of course. Thinking that Europe should be hosting, indefinitely, anyone who makes the voyage at sea with the purpose of being rescued and than brought to Europe will inevitably cause more death as there isn't a capability to save all the illegal immigrants.
Many departs with a ship from countries who are not at war, many end up in trouble with their vessels closer to shores of countries in north Africa which are not at war and are safe. Unfortunately they don't provide so much financial assistance like in the EU. It was especially for this reason of assistance to "refugees" that one big and rich country which was once in the EU, decided not to be told about having to share the assistance to such economic migrants contributing to worsen the influx from further south that they decided they wanted out. We can't really blame that country, can we ?
All heart and misunderstanding.

Do some work and find out
A) why people coming to us in small boats are not doing so illegally.
B) Churchill et al created the refugee convention in 1951 which made A true. Do some work to find out why.
C) find out what our options are more limited since we left the EU. Clue: Dublin convention

D) this is a comedy thread, let’s all drop the politics here. :)

Google Maps has moved Heathrow Airport.

Go to Google maps.
Type in Heathrow Airport, London.
Scroll down to see where the Red Icon is, near Portsmouth.

IMG_2164.jpeg

Not on my Google Maps, or was that the joke - to see how many people try it?! ;)
No it's been corrected. Was in one of the newspapers.

TRANSPORT

Google Maps glitch lands Heathrow Airport in Portsmouth docks
JACK SIMPSONTransport Correspondent
A PROBLEM with Google Maps has led to the app showing Heathrow Airport in the middle of Portsmouth docks.
The unfortunate mishap placed the country’s most visited airport 70 miles away from its actual location and in the water next to the dockyard.
The issue was spotted by eagle-eyed users, who were quick to point out to any unwitting tourist relying on the app that the airport is positioned west of London, not off the south coast.
However, some travellers from Portsmouth destined for the airport were bemused by unusually cheap rates possibly saving them more than £100.
One Twitter user wrote: “Why has Google Maps changed the location of Heathrow Airport to Portsmouth.
“I feel sorry for any foreign travellers relying on Google Maps to make their flight on time.
Another social media user added: “Tell me I’m not the only one getting a location for Heathrow at least 95 miles [sic] from where the actual airport is.”
It is unclear whether the mistake was down to a glitch or the Heathrow location had been manually “moved” on the system. The issue also hit Uber users looking to travel to the airport, with some receiving much lower fares than expected. The Uber app uses Google Maps for its systems.
Adam Parks-Dare, who works in Gosport, near Portsmouth, told The Daily Telegraph that one colleague was looking at the cost of booking a cab to Heathrow, when the fare came back at £7.25, £120 cheaper than the usual cost.
He said: “A couple of us tried the same and confirmed the issue wasn’t isolated to his phone. Out of interest, we jumped on Google Maps to check and sure enough right over Gosport were the words ‘London Heathrow Airport.’’’
Heathrow Airport is one of the country’s most visited spots and welcomed 61.6m passengers last year, and sees 10,000 cars travelling to the airport every day.
This is not the first mistake with Google Maps which pushed users to the wrong destinations. In 2017, a rural town of Dargan in Australia saw an unexpected influx of hundreds of tourists after a glitch on the app sent them to a cul-de-sac instead of the Blue Mountains in New South Wales.
The quiet town of Fossmork in Norway suffered a similar fate when Google Maps led visitors there rather than to the Preikestolen cliffs. One of the most high-profile Google Maps mistakes came in 2010 when Nicaraguan troops used the error to justify entering neighbouring Costa Rica.
At the time, Google conceded it had wrongly assigned a 1.7-mile stretch of the Costa Rican land to Nicaragua, and adjusted the border accordingly – but stated that “by no means should they be used as a reference to decide military actions between two countries”.
The Telegraph has contacted Uber for comment.

Back