Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Has anyone got a Vango Kela Air Away awning?

FlyingFred

FlyingFred

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi all,

I'm looking for a drive away awning and had made my mind up about the Khyam Motordome but I've recently seen the latest pump-up tents and they look fantastic. Vango do the Kela and Sapera awnings and as there is just the two of us, the Kela looks like the one to go for. Does anyone out there have one and what do you think? I have seen the threads here and here but nobody on those seems to have a Kela.

FF

As I may have mentioned on one of the other threads, the sewn in groundsheet put me off an otherwise perfect awning. I did hear a rumour that maybe next year they will be making it with a removable one??

Just a rumour though!. If they do.... I shall be ordering one.

sd5000 said:
Hi,

We had a an issue in high winds this weekend where a side wind made the awning slide along the figure of 8 and eventually meant we have to detatch it. In its defense we may have done something wrong, and the wind was gale force.

Simon

I had the same with my awning on Anglesey (basic Outdoor Rev) we ended up putting a guy rope at each end of figure 8 (attached to awning) pulling away from each other to stop this. I hope this makes some sense?

sd5000 said:
Good idea. Sorry off thread but how did you attach the guy rope - to the figure of 8 or awning somehow?

My awning has an eyelet at each end of the awning side of the fig 8.

Thanks very much folks. It's the sewn in groundsheet that is the only problem area for me as well.

Kampa are bringing out a nice awning but it's designed for caravans and as such is probably too high.

I'll think about it.

If you don't want the sewn in groundsheet a pair of scissors will sort the problem ;)

Why would you want a tent or awning without a sewn in groundsheet.

Have you ever camped in the UK ?

ymfb said:

Yes... Only for 37 years though!

I wouldn't want to pitch an awning with a sewn in groundsheet on hard standing.

A removable one would make much more sense.

ymfb said:

:D :D Point taken. Yes I have camped in the UK, and have used both sewn in and removable groundsheets. I just like the flexibility of the removable system and, if the weather happens to be ok ( :laugh2 ), to have just grass under your feet.