Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Has anyone here got a Glawning?

I'm no expert driver but used my drive away and got back in olace really easily. Just put a couple of pegs in the ground near the centre of the wheels - but about 2" away from them. Easy to spot and align with even on my own.

Lots of people peg down a length of bright webbing inline with the wheels. Easy to see and line up with.

Had a look on the site and they quote 49kgs for a 5mtr or 38kgs for the 4mtr. Puts quite a load in the Cali & needs 2 fit people to lift.
I'll stick to my idea of using a ridge tent if I need to unload/leave things on site. Look forward to the viewing of someone erecting or taking one down though. Sounds like a 5* people watching item.

As already stated Bell tents are amongst the simplest to put up and down. No problem at all for one person.

As title.

http://www.glawning.com

Have been looking at these for a few weeks. Expensive and heavy, but do look v. nice in my opinion. Think I might go for a 4m. Would like to see one in the flesh, or even just a 4m bell tent. I have a friend with a 5m bell tent which is excellent. Just a bit concerned about the reduced headroom area in a 4m.
You need to look at the Vango Kella 3 (Low) Airbeam Driveaway Awning, we have one and it's fantastic. Takes about 10 mins to erect and pack up. £500 and 6 months Interest Free Credit when bought direct from Vango!!

We've got a San Diego Freeway - leaked like a sieve first outing but appears to leak less each time we use it. The sloping front reduces the useable footprint by a huge amount. We got ours for about £250 including the extra ground sheet & carpet, at that price its ok wouldn't pay much more for it.

Looks like Just Kampers are working on bell tent awning too - some glawning fans are quite militant about them "stealing the idea"

Khyam awning helped us survive holidays with two children, very quick to erect. Admittedly the driving away and returning was a faff as were many things about having four people in a Cali. Now children are 18 and 16 it is mostly just my wife and I on shorter breaks, so no awning needed. Soooo much easier!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We bought a Vango Idris inflatable two months ago. It is not for us and drives me crazy. Cost £440 with ground sheet and I have just put it on Gumtree for £200. Depends on the individual. I suppose with kids they are a boon.

I know that haters gonna hate, but I bought one anyway. Put it up today and absolutely love it. From the outside they look a bit odd shaped. We will admittedly only use it when staying for 3 nights or more. But it did only take me 30 minutes to put up and that was the first time and on my own, including having to tie all the guys on.
The main reason we 'bit the bullet' is for Glastonbury, where I think all that space will come into its own.

17622749_10155203948412769_393594168_o.jpg

at the Harrogate SpringDub recently:

IMG_2526.JPG

Awnings don't appeal to me personally, though I may need to buy a small pop-up shortly to accommodate more bodies.

The above Glawning was very cool inside if you were going somewhere for an 'event'. Horse for courses indeed, we're a broad church.

at the Harrogate SpringDub recently:

View attachment 20289

Awnings don't appeal to me personally, though I may need to buy a small pop-up shortly to accommodate more bodies.

The above Glawning was very cool inside if you were going somewhere for an 'event'. Horse for courses indeed, we're a broad church.

Now that's a big toilet tent.....!
:D

Cool but looks a LOAD of hassle!
But its not a load of hassle - its easy to put up on your own. Admittedly I am lucky to have barn space to dry it at home if need be. It is absolutely not something you'd use on the odd night away. I bought it primarily as the family have Glasto tickets this year. I might even decide to sell it on afterwards. However I'm also wondering the possibility of renting it as a drive up awning on our campsite. Ready erected and cool as ****. What do you think?

I'd rent a pre-erected one... I haven't had vans for years to mess about putting tents up :)

Saw this at the weekend, rather amazing Oz tent setup but makes the 849 sound cheap. This will tackle any conditions however, it is basically a safari tent. It had a wood burning stove too.

Stretton 050.JPG

But its not a load of hassle - its easy to put up on your own. Admittedly I am lucky to have barn space to dry it at home if need be. It is absolutely not something you'd use on the odd night away. I bought it primarily as the family have Glasto tickets this year. I might even decide to sell it on afterwards. However I'm also wondering the possibility of renting it as a drive up awning on our campsite. Ready erected and cool as ****. What do you think?

Would definitely be interested in this!

We'd definitely come and visit and rent your awning! Fantastic idea!

Resurrecting an old thread...
Did you go ahead with your idea to rent it out assembled @rich-s ?

this tent is something for nomadic peoples from the Middle East like Bedouins or Touaregs:)

We have a 5m bell tent they are easy to put up - we have the tea light chandelier and have used extensively before we ordered Cali.
Not sure how practical with a Cali but they are amazing to sit in and IMHO they also do look very

this tent is something for nomadic peoples from the Middle East like Bedouins or Touaregs:)

It might just be the answer as our boys grow.
Vango Kela V size - 78 x 34 x 32 cm; 12.7 Kg
Original Glawning -115 x 34 x 32 cm; 57 Kg

1.5 times the size of the Kela; 4.5 times the weight - wow!

Back