Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Has anyone picked up their VW California at the Wolfsburg Kundencenter?

Corradobrit

Corradobrit

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
It sounds like a cool experience to take the Autostadt tour and delivery of my new Cali. Would be a great way to be introduced to only the 2nd vehicle I've bought brand new (the other was an Aprilia motorcycle) and make it extra special. Is this something thats even possible for a Cali thats manufactured by VW Commercial?

It sounds like a great idea but would it be possible at the moment?

It sounds like a cool experience to take the Autostadt tour and delivery of my new Cali. Would be a great way to be introduced to only the 2nd vehicle I've bought brand new (the other was an Aprilia motorcycle) and make it extra special. Is this something thats even possible for a Cali thats manufactured by VW Commercial?
It is possible again to collect your new Cali at the factory, but the Californias are build in Hannover and not in Wolfsburg. So you would have to drive to Wolfsburg from Hannover (~90km) for a tour of the Autostadt. Due to Corona the procedure is not the usual though. You can use the Bing translator to translate the website to English:

I’m guessing Uk members might find it harder as you won’t have a dealer sorting the registration with the DVLA etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did pick up my Cali from the factory in Hannover, infact my avatar pic was taken there (you may recognise the background with pics in the weblink above).
I wasn't so sure, but with hindsight I can certainly recommend it. Fascinating to see how from a coil of steel a T6 is made, together with the technology used by one of the biggest manufacturer.
In addition free lunch with a delicious burger and soda, and a 10% discount to buy anything from the gift/accessory shop located inside the Hannover factory. Of course I picked a big ticket item, the tailgate bike rack and drove home with it. Other benefit you get extensive explanation of how the Cali works by a competent guy as opposed to a dealer "expert". Things are getting better in Germany re: Covid, so I think it should be possible.

Well my Cali isn't scheduled to be built for a couple more months and delivery in Sept/Oct. With options like the towbar and supply issues I can't see it being brought forward. I still hope it will be a MY22.

I think Germany has banned all travel from UK due to concerns about the Indian variant. Are you in UK? Might have changed by September I suppose.

I think Germany has banned all travel from UK due to concerns about the Indian variant. Are you in UK? Might have changed by September I suppose.

Things will have changed, we will be back in lockdown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Picked up my Beach Tour from there in Aug 2020. My Avatar picture was taken there.
Didn‘t do the factory tour as had 5 hour train ride up to pick it up and 5 hour drive back to my then home. Also think due to COVID the factory tour was not available.
Had a good free lunch followed by a very comprehensive handover.
It saved me paying 600€ of getting it delivered to me in Bavaria.
I would do it again if I was ever to buy another one and would have been interested in doing the factory tour. The only other factory tour I have done is at Bentley in Crewe which was a whole different level of service (To add I was not buying one or would ever be able to afford one!)

No I'm in the USA. Have a job in Hannover that starts in Sept so I'll fly there direct from the US. I doubt I'll be back in the UK before Christmas.

Ive done both the Hannover and Autostadt tours. I assume the Californias are the same as the other vehicles for Autostadt/Hannover collection. You cant have a right hand drive vehicle collected there only left hand drive.

That aside Im not sure how youd fair on the import duty now either. I know buying a second hand vehicle theres roughly 20% tax to pay to bring it into UK.

Ive done both the Hannover and Autostadt tours. I assume the Californias are the same as the other vehicles for Autostadt/Hannover collection. You cant have a right hand drive vehicle collected there only left hand drive.

That aside Im not sure how youd fair on the import duty now either. I know buying a second hand vehicle theres roughly 20% tax to pay to bring it into UK.
I have a job offer in Hannover (starting Sept/Oct) and the Cali I ordered in Holland is LHD. I haven't talked to the dealer yet but the fact they are Dutch may determine whether or not I can collect locally.

Does anyone know if this can can be requested close to build time?

Obviously I'm aware that being from the UK I can't travel to Germany currently, but say (for example) we were allowed in from late June onwards and my van was close to being built would I be able to arrange and pick it up or does this need to be arranged when ordering the van in the first place?

Back