Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Has anyone tried both a topper and an isotop?

Recently acquired a roofless Cali topper from a forum member and haven't had a chance to try it on yet but it folds incredibly easily (almost stuffs into the bag) and packs down very small. The reduction in material probably helps there.
Despite all the positive comments here about the internal topper, I am minded towards the roofless topper, possibly gambling with windowless maroon red to contrast my yellow beach when it finally arrives next month.

The £499 price tag for a Beach internal topper seems awfully steep. And although a 150 by 200cm downstairs bed is big enough for two adults and two under 5s to snuggle together in a storm with the roof down, I somehow feel that an external topper is more robust in poor weather conditions. It also looks better, covering the roof workings.

I'm following the internal vs external debate with interest. There are a lot of things I like about the internal one but what is niggling me is the fact that in stormy weather some moisture may get through the original bellows. Once the moisture is in it is in and can cause problems. The internal topper may prevent the moisture getting to the bed and occupants but isn't the moisture then trapped, inside the vehicle but out of sight - potentially still causing problems? This setup must still require everything to need to be dried out later which is perhaps avoided with the external topper?

I don't yet have my Cali so not fully able to visualise the advantages/disadvantages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over the last fourteen months we have slept upstairs in some very wet stormy conditions without the external topper fitted. There has never been any moisture ingress through or past the Brandrup Isotop. We have sometimes seen a little condensation on the internal upper deck metal surfaces of the vehicle if it has been a very cold night, (we never have the heating on at night). That would probably not occur if we had stopped breathing!
Our experience is that once the rain stops it takes surprisingly little time for the vehicles bellows to dry out. However we usually give it a helping hand by running the auxiliary heater at full blast for a while. Failing that, stick the roof up when the sun comes out and hey presto.

Last edited:
We went for the Comfortz Topper, made for use in conjunction with the roof box, after a couple of times its not that big deal to get in place. It keeps everything dry and fits in the tailgate with the one chair. The windscreen cover also from comforts goes into the other chair.

For us it was two things: We want to be able to use nothing internal og external when going south in the summer. And wanted something more protective when camping in the wet season back home. We sometimes have many days with rain, not able to get the fabric in the roof dry again. So an internal solution was not really attractive to us. We are happy with what we got ;-)

IMG_3901.JPG

I bought a Gore-Tex internal Isotop with my new van in 2008! It's brilliant: you don't have to do anything when you leave - it stays inside the roof. We were sleeping upstairs until only very recently (getting on a bit!), and never got wet or felt the strong winds. The glue gets a bit unstuck after a few years, but that's easy enough to patch up. Where would you stow a Topper when not in place?

I've had both and can say the extra cash for isotop is def worth it.
Hassle free, there's no messing about once it's fitted that's it! No throwing over a part raised roof in the rain or snow, taking it off when wet and finding somewhere to store it. Plus I think isotop is much warmer in winter and is better at keeping inside cooler in summer. Worked well in 38 degrees heat in Spain! Also kept toasty in the alps in January.

I am curious as to the difference in effectiveness.

We are pondering a topper of some kind but aren't sure what to go for.

It comes down to isotop or an external topper like comfortz.
We like the idea of it being hidden and internal, less faff but is it as effective?
Branurup internal topper we have and has transformed our camper .not cheap at about 600 pounds .but Wurth every penny . Real good investment .took me about 4 hours to fit .

A key advantage I see with the internal topper is to help block out the light in the morning, especially with respect to the new T6 bellows fabric. I had that fabric fitted as part of the roof corrosion fix, and although it looks much improved in terms of waterproofing, it doesn't half flood the upper "room" with light once the sun is up. A windowless external topper may help - but unlikely to use it in summer climates when you most need to block out the light.

A key advantage I see with the internal topper is to help block out the light in the morning, especially with respect to the new T6 bellows fabric. I had that fabric fitted as part of the roof corrosion fix, and although it looks much improved in terms of waterproofing, it doesn't half flood the upper "room" with light once the sun is up. A windowless external topper may help - but unlikely to use it in summer climates when you most need to block out the light.
Wow! You guys are making an excellent case to blow £500 on an internal topper as opposed to £225 on an external topper.
1. Warmer
2. Fit and forget
3. Darker

Wow! You guys are making an excellent case to blow £500 on an internal topper as opposed to £225 on an external topper.
1. Warmer
2. Fit and forget
3. Darker
Not to mention it's biggest advantage..........it keeps the upper deck including the bedding and occupants completely dry. It also keeps the upper deck draught free.

Goodness I thought it was good value at £5k - are you saying it's only £500 :)

1. Warmer
2. Fit and forget
3. Darker
I would say 1 and 3 are debatable.

We have both. Have never used the topper since we fitted the ISO top.

Not to mention it's biggest advantage..........it keeps the upper deck including the bedding and occupants completely dry. It also keeps the upper deck draught free.
Does the internal topper do a better job than the external topper in those respects?

Does the internal topper do a better job than the external topper in those respects?
IMO I'd say it is better at keeping it more daught free and warmer. The external topper isn't sealed at the bottom so you are aware of slightly air movement especially in windy weather. They are both equally as good at keeping the upper deck dry.

Back