Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is anyone using a regular mattress topper in their Cali?

BusyLizzyBee123

BusyLizzyBee123

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I just don't have the budget to splash out on another custom mattress topper for our van. We have the VW Comfort mattress for the lower bed and whilst it wasn't uncomfortable, we just feel we could sleep a little better as we woke up every few hours and didn't feel refreshed in the morning. Cold might have had some part in this. We prefer a firm mattress, so it isn't an issue of waking up with backaches or anything. We feel like putting memory foam on top of memory foam is kind of pointless. We don't think that we'd want the faff of an inflating mattress. Looking for something simple that can either roll or fold up.

I am considering this one from Dunelm: https://www.dunelm.com/product/supe...eddingSize=Small+Double&defaultSkuId=30741118 as it comes in a small double.

Has anyone tried anything like this? I pretty handy with a sewing machine, so I am hoping that I can turn it into a custom topper if there is some serious difficulty getting it to fit.

We used one of these years ago and thought it was comfortable

@BusyLizzyBee123

Like you, we slept on the VW comfort mattress but for nearly 5 years. Slept yes, enjoyed it ? not particularly.
It was OK for a couple of nights or when you are too tired to notice so this year splashed out on duvalay freshtec topper.
There is no looking back but its not a difference thats night and day.
Does it get close to enjoyable ? Yes
For us its gone from 6 or 7 out of 10 to about 8.5 out of 10.
Your milage may vary but the dunelm one will make a positive difference I'm sure and as you are handy with a sewing machine it sounds like a good hack to me.
Failing that and spending a bit more you can pick up lightly used toppers on this forum for around half the new cost which still not cheap I know. There is one for sale still now.
Good Luck.

Last edited:
I just don't have the budget to splash out on another custom mattress topper for our van. We have the VW Comfort mattress for the lower bed and whilst it wasn't uncomfortable, we just feel we could sleep a little better as we woke up every few hours and didn't feel refreshed in the morning. Cold might have had some part in this. We prefer a firm mattress, so it isn't an issue of waking up with backaches or anything. We feel like putting memory foam on top of memory foam is kind of pointless. We don't think that we'd want the faff of an inflating mattress. Looking for something simple that can either roll or fold up.

I am considering this one from Dunelm: https://www.dunelm.com/product/supe...eddingSize=Small+Double&defaultSkuId=30741118 as it comes in a small double.

Has anyone tried anything like this? I pretty handy with a sewing machine, so I am hoping that I can turn it into a custom topper if there is some serious difficulty getting it to fit.
We have a small double topper that came from Dunlem - Not 100% certain that it is this one tbh. But the elastic straps are sufficient to keep it in place without modification and we noticed an improvement in comfort and therefore continue to use it

Last edited:
WE opted for the zonesleep. It is still fairly firm but does give my hips and shoulders some extra padding, it fold in 3 and sits flat on back shelf above vw mattress. We use it both in pop top and on lower bed. Gpppd luck in finding your perfect solution.

Have you tried putting the Parking Heater on at night, if cold might be a factor?

We use this from Dunelm on top of VW comfort mattress - so far so good

@BusyLizzyBee123

Like you, we slept on the VW comfort mattress but for nearly 5 years. Slept yes, enjoyed it ? not particularly.
It was OK for a couple of nights or when you are too tired to notice so this year splashed out on duvalay freshtec topper.
Your milage may vary but the dunelm one will make a positive difference I'm sure and as you are handy with a sewing machine it sounds like a good hack to me.
Failing that and spending a bit more you can pick up lightly used toppers on this forum for around half the new cost which still not cheap I know. There is one for sale still now.
Good Luck.
100% agree with this - we did the same.

@BusyLizzyBee123

Good Luck.
We just had our first 4 nights using the Duvalay Freshtec topper. Our experience mirrors yours. A much better night's sleep.

We just had our first 4 nights using the Duvalay Freshtec topper. Our experience mirrors yours. A much better night's sleep.
Which width did you choose for the top mattress please ?

Which width did you choose for the top mattress please ?
We bought the one they make for the lower bed, but it fits fine in the top for us. Bought from Campervantastic and was described as "DUVALAY Ocean Mattress Topper for the Lower Bed VW California SE/Ocean/Coast (T6.1, 5cm FreshTec Foam) T6.1 5cm FreshTec Foam"

We use this one from Ikea for top and bottom, quite comftable

We use this one from Ikea for top and bottom, quite comftable

What thickness is that double one?
Can you leave it on top of the top mattress and put the roof down?
Or do you use it instead of the top mattress ?
Thank you

Thanks @pmuk
I've ordered on Ikea and used family discount. pickup from Wednesbury, as its only 20 minutes from my house. sorted !

Back