Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Have i been duped

I love that they’ve gone for the Beach and also look forward to their videos about how they make it work for them.

Well done ABAB!

Spoiler Alert…!!!
It didn’t.

I’ll give that Crafter a couple of holidays before they realise. Camping isn’t for them…

If it ever gets finished, progress looks to be slow to date, it is rather large being a maxi.

A lot of work those things.
I’ve thought about doing my own, but just wouldn’t have the time to do it justice.
I would rather fettle something half built like a Hymer and spend more free time enjoying life.

If it ever gets finished, progress looks to be slow to date, it is rather large being a maxi.
With a young child and another on the way, as well as holding down 2 full-time jobs, I'm actually surprised they have done as much as they have. I hope they can maintain the enthusiasm as a family of 4.
Spruiking dodgy conversions has to stop though.

Well they had the Crafter for more than a year, and the conversion process seems to be slow. As previously said, with two children and two jobs it will take still very long. Maybe they are planning to hire somebody to speed up the work under their directions.

ABAB should talk to Dubventures, who have gone about the process of converting a Crafter in a sensible and time efficient manner. They do seem to enjoy the process of a hands on approach, so credit where credits due. Can't see them doing a whole lot of traveling in 2023 so they perhaps feel time is on their side.

I was sad when Cali Camper family sold theirs last year :-( they were my favourite, I don't care that they have 3 growing children, I wanted more of their cali vlogs!
Not heard of Travelling togs so another one to watch at least

One baby and a dog is doable surely? Didn't know they were selling, another favourite, I'll catch up on their vlogs, I want an explanation
When I was a child, we had 2 adults, 3 children and a labrador in a split screen.

With a young child and another on the way, as well as holding down 2 full-time jobs, I'm actually surprised they have done as much as they have. I hope they can maintain the enthusiasm as a family of 4.
Spruiking dodgy conversions has to stop though.
I feel for them to be honest. They also have the added pressure of planning all the work in such a way that it can make for a good YouTube video with surprises and intrigue, film it, constantly be acting, edit it, publish it, engage with their social media audience. That stuff is easily a full-time job in its own right. The amount of time and energy it takes to create good video content is insane.

Last edited:
I feel for them to be honest. They also have the added pressure of planning all the work in such a way that it can make for a good YouTube video with surprises and intrigue, film it, constantly be acting, edit it, publish it, engage with their social media audience. That stuff is easily a full-time job in its own right. The amount of time and energy it takes to create good video content is insane.

Absolutely.
It has to be something you love doing, otherwise what’s the point.
Not sure I get the Vlogging stuff, it’s a tough world to be in. You open yourself and family up-to a lot of criticism…

ABAB should talk to Dubventures, who have gone about the process of converting a Crafter in a sensible and time efficient manner. They do seem to enjoy the process of a hands on approach, so credit where credits due. Can't see them doing a whole lot of traveling in 2023 so they perhaps feel time is on their side.
Surprised dubventures did not fit a shower or toilet in their crafter, particularly as they like wild park ups.

Rolling Rocks recently converted a crafter for 5, two adults and three kids, really good quality self build, but took them about 3 months and working on it nearly full time.

Surprised dubventures did not fit a shower or toilet in their crafter, particularly as they like wild park ups.

I’ve not watched any of their stuff, but will have a look at their van build.
From someone who went bigger a couple of months ago. I’m wondering wether the bathroom is a complete waste of time and space.
Don’t get me wrong, it’s great having a designated loo, but I haven’t used the shower once and not sure I ever will. It sucks up a lot of useable space in the van.
Will from CaliforniaTime made an interesting point on one of his videos about dressing space. Almost none in a big van and I get what he means.

From someone who went bigger a couple of months ago. I’m wondering wether the bathroom is a complete waste of time and space.
Don’t get me wrong, it’s great having a designated loo, but I haven’t used the shower once and not sure I ever will. It sucks up a lot of useable space in the van.
Will from CaliforniaTime made an interesting point on one of his videos about dressing space. Almost none in a big van and I get what he means.
We use the shower from time to time, depends where we are staying. Having hot water on tap is lovely though. We also use the bathroom as a drying room if we have been out and the weather isn’t great. We’re off to Morzine this week for a few days so will be a good place to dry of gear.

We use the shower from time to time, depends where we are staying. Having hot water on tap is lovely though. We also use the bathroom as a drying room if we have been out and the weather isn’t great. We’re off to Morzine this week for a few days so will be a good place to dry of gear.
Your avatar says you have a T5. Do you still have it?

Always used the shower in my joker gave me chance to be off grid for weeks at a time, only swinging by a campsite for a quick service stop.
Definitely beats the Cali and now kombi camping using wet wipes:headbang

Probably old habits die hard in my circumstance. Don’t mind the local swimming baths, for a swim and shower.
I’m sure I will get round to using the shower at some point :thumb

Probably old habits die hard in my circumstance. Don’t mind the local swimming baths, for a swim and shower.
I’m sure I will get round to using the shower at some point :thumb
I’ve done the odd dip in rivers/lochs but to cold for me and tend to be in the middle of nowhere on most park ups.
Good tip on leisure centres though.
I give it one season and a Cali will be calling you again!

Well, once you start thinking about running out of space in a cali, the ‘damage’ is done: you want bigger. Many understand this and I do too. A small campervan like the California is not for you anymore. Needs evolve and basically you want a bigger camper. You also take a step away from the basic idea of travelling with a cali which is and remains different than with a campervan with a built-in toilet and shower and, above all, a fixed bed. And is far from all that is a big white whale.
About ABAB’s long crafter: for me this is way too big and completely out of my comfort zone to travel with. But let’s not forget, above all: each to their own choice.
I am not really interested in a big crafter campervan so I will not follow them that much anymore on YouTube. I will occasionally watch their previous videos because they are pleasant people and they regularly made wonderful videos about the calis they had, what they did with them (remember the one with all the Christmas lights!) and the beautiful trips they made with them. Some great tips they gave too.
I wish them much joy and happiness with the build and in their upcoming adventures.

As for them being influencers as some say. If you make such a purchase through videos on YouTube and those people change their mind, I wonder: what are you going to do? :oops: I hope there were other reasons, like your own ;)
It’s our eleventh year with a california (10 or them with a T4 westfalia and now a T6.1 coast) and now there are already four of us. We also adapt and that is also what’s keeping us happy: light travel, all together in a california. For us none can beat that.
Happy travels everyone, whatever you’re travelling with.