Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Have i been duped

W

Welshnick

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I ordered my vw ocean in September 2020 and I am due to get it at the end of March. I spent hours watching a bus and beyond; and travelling togs on you tube and telling my wife they were living the dream but to my horror they are now doing blogs about selling their calis!!! No hope of meeting them now.. what is the world coming to these people leading us youngsters up the garden path!:) Really though all in jest...I will set up my own you tube channel...I don't think there's a fat bald old accountant on there yet!

I see Upsides and Downsides. If all these ‘famous’ bloggers are selling, then maybe that will mean less people want to buy campers when things open up... if it encourages more folk to buy a second hand vehicle then the opposite applies.
Not seen the blogs. But curious about the reasons for selling...

In the case of Bus and Beyond, totally understandable. With a big dog and a new baby plus the 2 adults, the size limitations came into focus. I got the impression it was a split decision though. I think the current resale and that they made a profit swayed the decision to letting it go. They did hint that another Campervan/Motorhome was on the horizon.

In the case of the Togs, the sold because they anticipated being on another continent. Along came CV and scuppered all those plans, they needed a camper replacement, an Ayers Rock was available.

I ordered my vw ocean in September 2020 and I am due to get it at the end of March. I spent hours watching a bus and beyond; and travelling togs on you tube and telling my wife they were living the dream but to my horror they are now doing blogs about selling their calis!!! No hope of meeting them now.. what is the world coming to these people leading us youngsters up the garden path!:) Really though all in jest...I will set up my own you tube channel...I don't think there's a fat bald old accountant on there yet!
I was sad when Cali Camper family sold theirs last year :-( they were my favourite, I don't care that they have 3 growing children, I wanted more of their cali vlogs!
Not heard of Travelling togs so another one to watch at least

In the case of Bus and Beyond, totally understandable. With a big dog and a new baby plus the 2 adults, the size limitations came into focus. I got the impression it was a split decision though. I think the current resale and that they made a profit swayed the decision to letting it go. They did hint that another Campervan/Motorhome was on the horizon.
One baby and a dog is doable surely? Didn't know they were selling, another favourite, I'll catch up on their vlogs, I want an explanation

Yep agree Togs, best thing since sliced bread but didn't but one again the released a vlog saying how difficult it was to use !!!!

That was a surprise! Just watched A Bus and Beyond's video after reading your post, as not been keeping up to date. I was certain they were going to do some amazing Blogs on camping with their son and the dog but it's not to be.

Think they’re getting a Grand Cali by the looks of the flash up images at the end of the video. Will be interesting to see which size they go with.

Last edited:
The togs made a great video explaining their rationale for changing, and I agree with almost all of it. John is still using the new bigger van for his everyday (car) needs so why not have a bigger, warmer, (cheaper?) unit?

Well I know he took his C1 test last year I think so he could drive the GC680 they were testing in Europe. But I think it will be a GC600.

One dog and one baby and a Cali is too small for them - they are lightweights!

I wish their was far less videos blogs on vanlife. There is a dream out there to be lived, well there was before Covid. Get out there, do your own homework, don't just follow in other peoples footprints. Your Cali won't disappoint, but this year will possibly be a little bit difficult because of pent up demand.

I think the flash ups at the end were of a Crafter not a GC. I think they will opt for a Crafter 680 4M conversion, possibly built down this way!

Last edited:
I think the flash ups at the end were of a Crafter not a GC. I think they will opt for a 680 4M conversion, possibly built down this way!
Much better knowledge than mine :thumb. That's going to be huge but I think they drove a GC680 around Portugal, so they're probably used to the size.

I look forward to seeing what they go for.

Much better knowledge than mine :thumb. That's going to be huge but I think they drove a GC680 around Portugal, so they're probably used to the size.

I look forward to seeing what they go for.
Hi I’m really just guessing, but think your right about knowing the 680 for size. The 600 IMO would be to small, even with the above cab bed.

I wish their was far less videos blogs on vanlife. There is a dream out there to be lived, well there was before Covid. Get out there, do your own homework, don't just follow in other peoples footprints. Your Cali won't disappoint, but this year will possibly be a little bit difficult because of pent up demand.
I’ve really enjoyed A bus and beyond, Jits into the sunset, Kingin it etc during lockdown. I wish there were more of the fun ones, but there are too many dull old folk drifting around saying little!

Good evening,

Before we bought our camper I watched so many Youtube videos about the California. Than we got the camper and I watched even more to learn (and of course spend hours on end here on the forum).

Recently I saw too that a few of the well known Youtubers seems to leave the California szene (so to speak) and move on.

Since Christmas I also spend time gahtering information about a bigger camper. Watching Youtube videos for hours and reading magazines from Germany (send by my brother).

Of course each of the small campers, camper vans, motorhomes and caravans has their advantages and disadvantages and I was rather tempted into a camper van from one of the UK suppliers.

But for our use I compared the pros and cons of a full grown camper van (e.g. Wildax Elara) to the California - and I came to the decision that for us the California is the best option going forward.

Obviously those Youtube came to a different conclusion, which is fine. I still believe that the California can provide the best compromise (well, I know they are compromises, but good ones) in many different ways. Like many of us, I can't wait for the lockdown to lift and get out and collect memories with the California.

Happy California,
Eberhard

It was thanks to ABAB that I discovered what exactly a Cali Ocean can do and first got interested in this type of vehicle. Then their comparison with the MP helped me with the choice.
I think they could have easily coped with Bentley and the child, I think they just wanted something else, having done the C1 license and been tooling with the GC , which is for me the worse campervan in that category.
Shame they are moving on, but we'll survive...

ABAB have done a good job with their channel. I don’t always agree with some of their conclusions. But they have some good footage and the channel setup is pretty slick.
It’s an obvious step to attract a more diverse audience.

It has made me chuckle, the need for a bigger unit already with one kid and a dog...

As for the travelling togs. Jesus wept are they boring...

ABAB have done a good job with their channel. I don’t always agree with some of their conclusions. But they have some good footage and the channel setup is pretty slick.
It’s an obvious step to attract a more diverse audience.

It has made me chuckle, the need for a bigger unit already with one kid and a dog...

As for the travelling togs. Jesus wept are they boring...
never heard of the travelling togs. good luck to a bus and beyond though i also don't see why 1 kid and a dog is the issue. it's 1 kid really as they always had the dog. i reckon grand cali 680 sponsored by some one is the way those guys are heading so should still be interesting. i couldn't be arsed to do that blog stuff that they do so well. i'll have to have a look at the travelling togs just to see what thats about.
edit : - i have seen them. i have about 4 videos on youtube i never finished watching. jeepers. those guys are boring

Last edited: