Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Have you ever put your Cali through a car wash ?

Sonas

Sonas

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Anyone ever put the Cali through a car wash. My dealer says its no problem, but Im not so sure. Any thoughts.

Apart from why would you want to do that to a lovely Cali (poor paintwork), it’s the awning i’d Be worried about. Pressure washer better maybe?

Anyone ever put the Cali through a car wash. My dealer says its no problem, but Im not so sure. Any thoughts.
Depends on the type of Car Wash. There are Brushless ones around. We have one near us. Haven't put the California through it but have used it on my Land Rover Defender with Full length roof rack and ladder. No problem.

:confused::confused:Pressure washer? Try to keep it away from your roof seal. Don't want to force more water, dirt and soapy stuff than is absolutely necessary underneath it.

:shockedNO:shocked I would though if I could find a local brushless car wash.

It gives me heartburn when I see someone holding a sponge too.:eek:

What's wrong with a sponge?
Hi Tracey
if you use a sponge and there is the slightest bit of sand, grit etc on your paintwork or sponge.
You will get swirl marks, its like using sandpaper.
Shows especially on darker paintwork.
A sunny day and you will see plenty of vehicles with paintwork where people have rubbed with a sponge.

A quick google and you will see why. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=swirl+marks&FORM=HDRSC2
Eg.

"
Tip 5 – Throw Away Your Sponge!
Yes especially the infamous ’99p jumbo sponge’! Despite them being available in every shop, it is one of the easiest ways to damage your paint. This is due to the type of material they are made from, typically foamed plastic polymers, and their large flat surface.

The best alternative is a quality wash mitt which can either be a lambswool wash mitt for the ultimate luxury clean or a microfibre wash mitt for improved cleaning and easier maintenance.

The flat surface of the sponge provides nowhere for any small bits of dirt or dirt to go, making them create their own space, which in this case is a small scratch in your paintwork as your wash your car.

By simply swapping to a deep-pile wash medium, such as genuine lambs wool, your paint will be saved from thousands of tiny scratches, meaning better looking paintwork & less hours polishing!"

Last edited:
Hi Tracey
if you use a sponge and there is the slightest bit of sand, grit etc on your paintwork or sponge.
You will get swirl marks, its like using sandpaper.
Shows especially on darker paintwork.
A sunny day and you will see plenty of vehicles with paintwork where people have rubbed with a sponge.

A quick google and you will see why. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=swirl+marks&FORM=HDRSC2
Eg.

"
Tip 5 – Throw Away Your Sponge!
Yes especially the infamous ’99p jumbo sponge’! Despite them being available in every shop, it is one of the easiest ways to damage your paint. This is due to the type of material they are made from, typically foamed plastic polymers, and their large flat surface.

The best alternative is a quality wash mitt which can either be a lambswool wash mitt for the ultimate luxury clean or a microfibre wash mitt for improved cleaning and easier maintenance.

The flat surface of the sponge provides nowhere for any small bits of dirt or dirt to go, making them create their own space, which in this case is a small scratch in your paintwork as your wash your car.

By simply swapping to a deep-pile wash medium, such as genuine lambs wool, your paint will be saved from thousands of tiny scratches, meaning better looking paintwork & less hours polishing!"

wow thank you! my sponge is going in the bin!!

I always leave mine in the capable hands of our many local hand-car-wash gangs (only £8; I wonder how many of them will disappear after Brexit?). They use relatively fine-spray power washers, then dry and polish with huge soft cloths in both hands. No sign of damage to the rooof seals or swirly marks on the paintwork. Trouble is, they don't do the roof. But then all you need to do occasionally is to pump up the roof and turn a hose on it.

I always leave mine in the capable hands of our many local hand-car-wash gangs (only £8; I wonder how many of them will disappear after Brexit?). They use relatively fine-spray power washers, then dry and polish with huge soft cloths in both hands. No sign of damage to the rooof seals or swirly marks on the paintwork. Trouble is, they don't do the roof. But then all you need to do occasionally is to pump up the roof and turn a hose on it.

Dangerous to mention Brexit and then pose a ?
I could answer but will restrain myself as topic is about car washers and to that the answer is No.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
I recently read about a car wash that broke off a car aerial this got trapped in the car wash and damaged about half a dozen vehicles before the damage was noticed and the cause discovered. I know this is rare but I prefer to use a couple of buckets and a wash mit.

"better looking paintwork & less hours polishing!"

I'm supposed to polish it?!!! There's acres of it! :shocked

Another one for the car washers down the road - but ours charge £13 and tbh I didn't notice whether they did the roof!

Dangerous to mention Brexit and then pose a ?
I could answer but will restrain myself as topic is about car washers and to that the answer is No.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Jesus, a bit touchy to say the least.

Jesus, a bit touchy to say the least.

Not touchy at all. The opposite I would say. Slightly fed up with Brexit creeping into unrelated threads and wanted to head this thread going in the same direction. I was polite.

You’ve been around long enough on this BB to see it doesn’t end well.

Mike

Last edited:

£15 and if I ask they will do the roof for another £2 and it looks immaculate

so sponge bobs car wash near me no good then?

Not touchy at all. The opposite I would say.
Cool. Thats the way to be.
I agree with you.. It´s better to not mention the B word.
Although i did think that you picked up on it quickly when the B word and
car washing gangs were mentioned.
That was all. :thumb

I always use Sponge-Algernon :shocked

so much more upmarket.