Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wheel and Steering Alignment

Cali-61-180-SE

Cali-61-180-SE

Need one advice. I have 61 plate 4Motion 180 Cali. My Cali’s wheel alignment is slightly out of centre. While driving it is going left side and steering wheel also looks out of centre (Left Side).
My cali is under VW warranty but I called to the dealer about alignment then they said, wheel alignment doesn’t come under warranty.

They quoted £99 for wheel alignment but I checked nearest Halfords Autocentre and they quoted £29. The difference is £70.

Can anyone please advise me where should I go, VW dealer or Halfords Autocentre? Has anyone done wheel alignment from other then VW dealer?

Thanks
Jeetu

I would avoid Halfords like the plague. If it is set up wrong you'll soon scrub your way through £70 of tyres!

Our local kwik-fit has installed a very fancy 4 wheel alignment setup in the floor.

From memory I think it was £60 for front & back to be checked/corrected.

You get a before and after printout of all the angles - toe and camber for each wheel.

When I needed wheel alignment checking vw did it on warranty ( or good will) although they couldn't do it themselves. Cali too heavy for their rig. It needed to go to the Audi dealer as they do Q7's. Did you check that halfords can deal with 3tonnes of Cali?

I am not sure about 3 ton weight they handle or not. but i called today and told its a vw californina camper based on T5 van, then they replay no problem will do.

thanks

Just had mine laser aligned; the tracking was way out on the front wheels. I'm certain it was like that from new; so it appears that when buying new, you need to get it sorted off your own back.

Two front tyres wore very unevenly.

KernowLad, thanks for reply. if you don't mind can i ask,
have you done on VW dealer or privet?

KernowLad said:
Just had mine laser aligned; the tracking was way out on the front wheels. I'm certain it was like that from new; so it appears that when buying new, you need to get it sorted off your own back.

Did you get a before and after of the tracking that you would be able to share?

Thanks

smgcowfold said:
KernowLad said:

Thanks
No, but it'll be on record so I can ask.

Jeet; did it off my own back when the tyres got sorted.

My Thunder alloys are also getting mysterious scratches, some quite deep. Not kerbing (the rims are spotless). Probably not a warranty job but I'd say something is up.

I had a rant at VW customer services earlier but got nowhere fast.

Not just tracking but also check both axles are in alignment.

Had mine done on a fancy computerized laser setup not long after I got it. Cost about £100, but was all over the place so worth the money.

This was the full laser alignment too.

Had the BM done and pretty much doubled the rear tyre life!

KernowLad said:
smgcowfold said:
KernowLad said:

Thanks
No, but it'll be on record so I can ask.

Jeet; did it off my own back when the tyres got sorted.

My Thunder alloys are also getting mysterious scratches, some quite deep. Not kerbing (the rims are spotless). Probably not a warranty job but I'd say something is up.

I had a rant at VW customer services earlier but got nowhere fast.

If you look at the tracking report it will tell you whether or not it was within factory specification. Be interested to see it.

cheers

Hello,

I am struggling to fix my California wheel alignment its moving left hand side. VW did twice wheel alignment in last 3 months. but still its moving left hand side.

last Friday vw did again and manager sad to me its still moving left side slightly but its a behaviour of California because of big wheel. and he is send me this mail as well:

"Regarding the wheel alignment, we have re-aligned to find a slight pull to the n/s remains. We have technical information from Volkswagen to suggest this is a characteristic of the California however we are pursuing."

I not understand its a characteristic of the California?

Please guys tell me, if this is a characteristic of cali the everyone having the same problem right?

smgcowfold : Please advice me? i am attaching wheel alignment report as well.

Thakns
JK

wheelAlingment.jpg

What wheels and tyres are you running on this vehicle?

Tracking is covered under warranty if done within the first 6 months or 6500 miles whichever comes first. Same for adjustments on doors etc...

If it is going to drive in a straight line then you need to test this by driving in the middle of the road (when safe to do so!) and see if the vehicle still pulls to the left. If it doesn't then it suggests that the camber of the road is causing it to pull to one side. Have had the same issue with a customer with a Caravelle Edition 25, sent for four wheel alignment, all within spec but larger wheels and tyres accentuated the road camber and the pulling to one side.

cheers

I had my Cali done forth time with a tyre shop, my cali is three years old with 20000 mile on the clock, i have changed both front tyres ones, now both are wearing at the edges. Shop suggested swopping tyres round which i agreed, nothing changed. Now they are saying it could be breaks. I have three weeks left on my warranty, not sure what to do. How did everyone sort there alignment problem.

Last edited:
Which edges are wearing?
Are the pressures correct?
I'd take it somewhere else and get it all laser aligned as a double check.

Hi Briwy, it's outer edges of front tyres are wearing off.

Assuming it's standard ride height that would normally point to the tracking being wrong, too much toe in.

A ball of string and some axle stands?

Back