Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heater doesnt stay on

Sp0_0k

Sp0_0k

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
Getting pissed with heater in this nasty cold weather in Norway. Always setting it to infinite time and it keeps shutting off when reaching specific temperature. Sometimes it comes on to heat up again sometimes not. Anybody figured this piece of heating equipment?
In any case I dont like that turning off feature because it has to fire up several times during the night with that loud jet engine noise.

I'm not going to asked if you have increased the temperature setting!

What is ehu? And there is just time and power in settings. Oh and it is a beach control panel.

Getting pissed with heater in this nasty cold weather in Norway. Always setting it to infinite time and it keeps shutting off when reaching specific temperature. Sometimes it comes on to heat up again sometimes not. Anybody figured this piece of heating equipment?
In any case I dont like that turning off feature because it has to fire up several times during the night with that loud jet engine noise.

The on / off cycle is the action of the thermostat.

Try increasing/decreasing the temperature setting, one click at a time, until it stays on continuously, not always easy to find that setting though.

Seems to me like you explain it , it works as normal.....
I just use it the simple way .
Turn heating on in the beginning high , about 6 , than lower it in function of your needs . Usually arround 3or 4.
At night we just leave it on 2 or 3 depending on the weater.
I never use the time setting , programs or the remote ...just on-off never had issues

Last edited:
When I do exactlt same steps. Set on 6 time infinite. It gets warm enough so I set it to 3 and time is left infinite. The heater turns off in a bit. If I get its logic right it considers the temp already enough for power 3 and shuts off completely. Though sometimes even when heater turns off display stays on, meaning it will heat again auto when temp drops. Important part again. This is t6 beach heater.

When I do exactlt same steps. Set on 6 time infinite. It gets warm enough so I set it to 3 and time is left infinite. The heater turns off in a bit. If I get its logic right it considers the temp already enough for power 3 and shuts off completely. Though sometimes even when heater turns off display stays on, meaning it will heat again auto when temp drops. Important part again. This is t6 beach heater.

Thats the function of the thermostat.
Adjust it ONE increment at a time.
Or switch it off and buy a better sleeping bag.

My simple goal is to leave heater on lowest setting for the night. Thank you for the sleeping bag advice though. :) very useful regarding heater functionality.

My simple goal is to leave heater on lowest setting for the night. Thank you for the sleeping bag advice though. :) very useful regarding heater functionality.
It must be getting warm enough for the thermostat to kick in and turn it off then, I'm only guessing but increasing the temperature setting just allows the van to get hotter before the above happens, not the heater pumping out more heat.

The Heater does NOT have a variable heat output, but has a thermostat that will switch it On/Off to maintain a certain temperature in the vehicle. So depending on the degree of ventilation/ambient temperature outside and the temperature setting of the heater then the heater will switch On/Off to maintain the internal temperature.
On my SE when in Norway in May, Heater fired up then gradually got quieter with just perceptible warm air from vent, quiet fan and fuel pump clicking very/very slowly. Stayed like that overnight on Temp setting 1/2. Turn heater up in morning and pump click frequency speeded up and more hot air out of vent , could hear fan blowing air then gradually got quieter.
Outside temp: was about 1-5C at night.

The Heater Fan determines how much hot air gets blown in and hence how much diesel is burnt to maintain the hot air at a fixed temperature.

Last edited:
Exactly I wasnt able to get it ticking very slowly which is a fuel pump I suppose. So WG stating it doesnt have variable power output is wrong. It might not have a direct control over that setting though. A slightly warm air out of the want goes only in case of cool down when pump already stopped. So to clarify the ticking, does it go slower than around each second tick? Thats the slowest ive heard from it.

Exactly I wasnt able to get it ticking very slowly which is a fuel pump I suppose. So WG stating it doesnt have variable power output is wrong. It might not have a direct control over that setting though. A slightly warm air out of the want goes only in case of cool down when pump already stopped. So to clarify the ticking, does it go slower than around each second tick? Thats the slowest ive heard from it.
Maybe I haven't explained it properly. The Burner burn's the diesel to give a set temperature in the heat exchanger, this is NOT controllable by the Control Panel, which is cooled by the air flowing over the heat exchanger which is propelled by the fan. The fan speed, hence amount of air, is controlled by the thermostat/temperature sensor that is within the air intake assembly.
Cold car - high fan speed - heat exchanger cooled - more diesel burnt to maintain heat exchanger temperature - faster fuel pump speed/tick.
The speed of the fuel pump is not controlled directly by the control panel to produce a higher temperature in the heat exchanger but by the cooling air flow through the heat exchanger which is determined by the Temperature selected which controls the fan speed and the overriding thermostat control which slows the fan/air flow down as you reach the selected temperature within the vehicle. When you reach the selected temperature the fan speed is low - the air flow is low - the heat exchanger is not cooled so much - the burner/fuel pump backs off as it is easier to maintain the temperature in the heat exchanger.

In another comparison - an electric shower. The temperature controller doesn't control the electric power to the heating element thats On at 10Kw. The temperature controller controls the flow of water over the heating element. Hot shower - low water flow, cool shower - high water flow.

Back to the Van. If the heater does not stay on continuously heating all night then maybe it is set too high. It switches off because when upto temperature and the air fan is at it's lowest speed setting, controlled by the thermostat, the temperature still rises within the van so the heater switches off into standby and will restart if and when the temperature falls below the selected temperature.

Or the airflow through the heat exchanger is obstructed, air inlet/outlet obstructed or fan defective so that the heat exchanger cannot be cooled effectively so heater switches off.

I find that Temperature Level 1 or 2 is more than adequate overnight.

This is on the T5 SE. They may have changed something on the T6 and the Beach may be different to the Ocean. Check that the air inlet/outlet for the heater is not obstructed in any way.

Good point.
Good point as the OP has a Beach with only the 1 Leisure Battery I believe, unlike the Ocean and is running a Fridge/Cool box as well.

Good point as the OP has a Beach with only the 1 Leisure Battery I believe, unlike the Ocean and is running a Fridge/Cool box as well.
Didn't know the Beach only had 1, having said that I only found out mine had two a few week ago ;)

Try on initial start up turning the thermostat to no 3, and have a slightly longer heat up time.
Im sure Vw managed to incorporate some very clever !! Energy effecient electronics which dont always work in real life.

Back