Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heater on lowest setting turns itself off

I run an Eberspächer D2 Airtronic in a boat, once the space is up to temperature the heater will ramp down to a tickover and eventually stop, when the space cools down it will restart, this what it does with the thermostat control. I would assume the same principles apply in the van and would imagine its a similar system. I stand to be corrected as I know nothing about the Cali installation just know that some have the Eberspacher fitted.

I run an Eberspächer D2 Airtronic in a boat, once the space is up to temperature the heater will ramp down to a tickover and eventually stop, when the space cools down it will restart, this what it does with the thermostat control. I would assume the same principles apply in the van and would imagine its a similar system. I stand to be corrected as I know nothing about the Cali installation just know that some have the Eberspacher fitted.
Exactly how mine works. Once upto temperature, as selected, the unit will switch off and restart if required.
The fuel pump ticking gets slower and eventually stops. I think the fan might continue, at a very low speed, not audible but airflow can just be felt. Probably to monitor the temperature as the sensor is within the Air Inlet. Then at some point the fuel pump restarts and the fan speed increases.
This occurs on a low setting on a cool rather than cold night.
If temperature is set higher then heater may continue all night but with a very low fuel pump ticking and low fan speed.

Exactly how mine works. Once upto temperature, as selected, the unit will switch off and restart if required.
The fuel pump ticking gets slower and eventually stops. I think the fan might continue, at a very low speed, not audible but airflow can just be felt. Probably to monitor the temperature as the sensor is within the Air Inlet. Then at some point the fuel pump restarts and the fan speed increases.
This occurs on a low setting on a cool rather than cold night.
If temperature is set higher then heater may continue all night but with a very low fuel pump ticking and low fan speed.

Yes the fuel stops, the fan has to run for a while to cool the unit down.

Yes the fuel stops, the fan has to run for a while to cool the unit down.
I can detect airflow well over an hour later. I agree the fan can continue to cool the unit down, but I think it may continue longer than that if the heater is switched On but the Vehicle temperature is more than the set temperature . The airflow seems to be barely felt by the vents.

I can detect airflow well over an hour later. I agree the fan can continue to cool the unit down, but I think it may continue longer than that if the heater is switched On but the Vehicle temperature is more than the set temperature . The airflow seems to be barely felt by the vents.

A few minutes usually..

Hi - adding to this thread rather than starting a fresh one, as the topic is the same.

We have a 2 month old Ocean, and on 3 occasions on 2 different trips I’ve noticed that the diesel heater turns itself off during the early hours of the morning, and I’m wondering why?

The conditions:
- on electric hook up
- 3/4 tank of fuel
- external temperature around 0degC to 2degC
- set to heat continuously, no timer set
- outlet not obstructed
- works normally all evening, starting the heater around 7pm (comes on when temperature drops, off when it hits target temp), and we make a final adjustment to the setting for sleeping comfortably around 11pm.
- stops working sometime around 5am to 7am, then we are woken by the cold. Heater operation symbol on control panel is not lit.
- restart the heater, it works normally once again.

Is there a maximum run timer - say 12 hours?

This may be a coincidence - but I’ve also noticed that the fridge occasionally turns itself off also.

Have you got any messages on the display? Maximum Heating Time is an error I've heard mentioned before. I'm not sure if there is a maximum heating time but there may well be.

The thread I recall they had to reset the control panel to resolve it.

This did happen to me on one occasion, around 20mins after firing the heater up on a mid range level (5 or 6). Looked up to see the orange light had gone out. When I pressed the control knob again to wake the panel and investigate, I notice that I hadn't actually exited the menu (back to the home screen if you like). I fired the heater straight back up and ensured that I exited the heater sub menu and back to the home screen and it continued to work as expected.
Hasn't happened to me since. Might have been coincidence but I always ensure that I come back to the home screen now.

Similar issue here

We have a 2 month old Ocean, and on 3 occasions on 2 different trips I’ve noticed that the diesel heater turns itself off during the early hours of the morning, and I’m wondering why?

The conditions:
- on electric hook up
- 3/4 tank of fuel
- external temperature around 0degC to 2degC
- set to heat continuously, no timer set
- set point = 2
- outlet not obstructed
- works normally all evening, starting the heater around 7pm (comes on when temperature drops, off when it hits target temp), and we make a final adjustment to the setting for sleeping comfortably around 11pm.
- stops working sometime around 5am to 7am, then we are woken by the cold. Heater operation symbol on control panel is not lit.
- restart the heater, it works normally once again.

Is there a maximum run timer - say 12 hours?

This may be a coincidence - but I’ve also noticed that the fridge occasionally turns itself off also.

Back