Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heating upstairs

CharliFornia

CharliFornia

CharliFornia
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Variation on a theme. 3D designed attachment to divert the heat upstairs.
Still very much in the prototype stage.
Problem 1: the PLA used for 3D printing is not suitable for end product as it goes very soft in the heat of the blower.
But... it works.
203E9E49-8E84-4364-9DBE-EB6E2152CEF4.jpeg9FF2B454-1E74-4787-9C5E-7C47419178A7.jpeg47D05417-842D-44BA-99C1-D32BBD7530FE.jpeg6C51E947-ACD1-4566-AB37-01442E40991C.jpegF1DCB760-E040-4152-A412-B33013E925DB.jpegB1650301-CC10-4CDF-A2CA-A2669E094DC5.jpeg

Great idea!
Perhaps a heat resistant lining or ideally coating may help. I’ve seen of similar thoughts on the forum - this has promise. Perhaps V2 could have thin metal sliding clips behind the original heat vent housing and a hook next to the jubilee clip at the base hanging enough weight to keep it in place counterbalancing the effect of the blower

Nice ! I was about to embark on the same thing as I did make one before out of plumbing tubing but it got lost somewhere.

I think other attempts have left some of the air blowing into the lower bed area. I can't see if yours does that, or if you'd consider that desirable.

Great idea!
Perhaps a heat resistant lining or ideally coating may help. I’ve seen of similar thoughts on the forum - this has promise. Perhaps V2 could have thin metal sliding clips behind the original heat vent housing and a hook next to the jubilee clip at the base hanging enough weight to keep it in place counterbalancing the effect of the blower
I was going to try aluminium sticky tape, but will take it away from the ‘manufactured’ look I was aiming for.

I think other attempts have left some of the air blowing into the lower bed area. I can't see if yours does that, or if you'd consider that desirable.
I was also considering holes to allow some heat into the bottom half of the van.
Something for version 2. I wanted to prove the concept first. But all moot if the plastic goes as soft as cheese when on.

I was also considering holes to allow some heat into the bottom half of the van.
Something for version 2. I wanted to prove the concept first. But all moot if the plastic goes as soft as cheese when on.
There is another vent at the rear of the sliding door. But the most heat comes from the B-pillar vent.

Great idea will follow this with interest

There is another vent at the rear of the sliding door. But the most heat comes from the B-pillar vent.
That vent by the rear chair is the heating when driving.
However there is another smaller vent for the aux heater on the B pillar.
I was banking on this one putting out enough heat to keep downstairs happy.

It’s all fun.

That vent by the rear chair is the heating when driving.

It’s all fun.
My bad. I think you are right :oops:

We now use this smaller B-pillar vent to 'tap' for upstairs, leaving the other for the downstairs section.

Doesn't hot air rise?
It does but the Roof Bellows leeches the heat away and with the upper bed down there is a relatively small entry into the upper berth right at the highest point and where the ventilation grills are so the heat doesn’t get to the rear of the upper compartment.