Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heating upstairs

Finished mine today as well. Used black ducting hose and spray painted the white duct ends mat black for a less DIY-look. I'm quite happy with the result. And.... I did a small test in which I measured the temperature with and without the hose in place. See the end of my post for the results.

20201129_093615_small.jpg

The entire setup in place.
20201128_093426_small.jpg

The part that goes into the B-pillar vent
20201129_093243_small.jpg

The part that blows the hot air into the poptop
20201129_110719_small.jpg

The contraption when not in use and packed away
20201126_160430_small.jpg

The different duct ends I considered using.
20201124_204736_small.jpg

The inside of the B-pillar vent. You can see why you need to cut the duct end to fit. If you do not cut it to size, the seperator inside the vent makes it impossible for the duct end to stay in place.
20201129_102455_small.jpg

The bluetooth thermometer used to measure the temperature with and without the ducting hose.

Temperature Test
I used my bluetooth thermometer to do a small test. I placed it in the middle of the upper mattress. Closed all the doors. Obviously had the poptop up. And started the heater at setting 7. I let it run for 25 minutes.

Did the same procedure a second time, but with the ducting hose in place.

The results:

Without
the ducting hose the temperature rose from 3.5 degrees C to 11 degrees C in 25 minutes.
With the ducting hose in place the temperature rose from 3.5 degrees C to 16 degrees C in 25 minutes.

In my opinion that's a very significant difference.

Finished mine today as well. Used black ducting hose and spray painted the white duct ends mat black for a less DIY-look. I'm quite happy with the result. And.... I did a small test in which I measured the temperature with and without the hose in place. See the end of my post for the results.

20201129_093615_small.jpg

The entire setup in place.
20201128_093426_small.jpg

The part that goes into the B-pillar vent
20201129_093243_small.jpg

The part that blows the hot air into the poptop
20201129_110719_small.jpg

The contraption when not in use and packed away
20201126_160430_small.jpg

The different duct ends I considered using.
20201124_204736_small.jpg

The inside of the B-pillar vent. You can see why you need to cut the duct end to fit. If you do not cut it to size, the seperator inside the vent makes it impossible for the duct end to stay in place.
20201129_102455_small.jpg

The bluetooth thermometer used to measure the temperature with and without the ducting hose.

Temperature Test
I used my bluetooth thermometer to do a small test. I placed it in the middle of the upper mattress. Closed all the doors. Obviously had the poptop up. And started the heater at setting 7. I let it run for 25 minutes.

Did the same procedure a second time, but with the ducting hose in place.

The results:

Without
the ducting hose the temperature rose from 3.5 degrees C to 11 degrees C in 25 minutes.
With the ducting hose in place the temperature rose from 3.5 degrees C to 16 degrees C in 25 minutes.

In my opinion that's a very significant difference.
Nice job Thomas.

OK Team, just found this thread today:) we have a ‘left over’ version from our previous HymerCar which I intend to modify for the B pillar outlet.

As a few seasons have passed does anyone now have any real world experience or advice to offer please?

OK Team, just found this thread today:) we have a ‘left over’ version from our previous HymerCar which I intend to modify for the B pillar outlet.

As a few seasons have passed does anyone now have any real world experience or advice to offer please?
Only used ours a couple of times but it was very effective. The only negative is that it takes up valuable storage space. We’re getting better at only taking what we need for a particular trip.
A late (very) update post on ours. We fitted a couple of clamps which attach to the rail that the storage net is fitted to.

EC4E6A2B-70C3-41D3-A0EF-EA9742DDCBA8.jpeg

Looks really nice. How is the upper part/outlet connected to the van?

Looks really nice. How is the upper part/outlet connected to the van?
It’s attached to the storage net rails with two of these.

Langaelex Set of 10 Tarp Clips Heavy Duty Lock Grip Tent Clips Clamps with Thumb Screw and Bungee Ball Cords + Carabiner for Fixing Tarps, Awnings, Tarpaulin, Outdoor Camping, Caravan Canopies https://amzn.eu/d/anjJfa9

7EF35778-0BAF-465B-A6E8-FA2C27B4D110.jpeg

Back