Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello, and Beach buying advice please...

B

Bluebell73

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi all,

I have just joined so I am sorry if this is in the wrong place...I was not sure if it should be in the beginners, buying, or dealer section....

We are looking to buy our first Cali, with the aim of it being the replacement for the family estate car. With two young children, Labrador and more stuff than I thought one family could ever carry, the need for space is a good reason (excuse!) to change, and I love the idea of the camping flexibility as a big plus.

We hired a very nice 66 plate Ocean (150 DSG) for a long weekend a couple of weeks ago to try it in practise which went pretty well, but it proved that a Beach would realistically be more practical for us overall, probably as a seven seater even if at least one 2nd row seat spends more time on the garage floor than in the van...

It would help us out if we could get your latest thoughts on a few things...

Dealers. We spoke to Eurovans in Crawley, but were rather disappointed in their approach. They were stuck on trying to sell us their existing, but unregistered, stock (at what seemed a very small discount against list). We are not in a hurry, and want to get the right spec for us, especially as this is a huge sum for us. The only other dealer approached so far is Carr’s in Exeter (having seen them mentioned here). They were great on the phone, and when work travel allows I will definitely visit. Any other really good, current, newbie friendly, recommendations in London or the South?

Price. What is the current discount we should be aiming for if ordering new? I saw chat of 7% on here, but not sure if that is still the case?

Spec. We are hoping for a high spec - nav, full climate, rear camera, glass upgrades etc. Are there any things that people feel are must haves, or items that should not be forgotten off the list? Equally are there any options that people regret ordering? I appreciate there is a huge personal preference to many things, but the options list is pretty complex and it would be great to hear your thoughts.

Spec. We are hoping for a high spec - nav, full climate, rear camera, glass upgrades etc. Are there any things that people feel are must haves, or items that should not be forgotten off the list? Equally are there any options that people regret ordering? I appreciate there is a huge personal preference to many things, but the options list is pretty complex and it would be great to hear your thoughts.

Welcome Bluebell73

Great decision of using a Beach as an exchange of your estate car!

Specwise: You will get a lot of different - completly different opinions on this topic however IMO that‘s great to sort out what you really want.

If I would order new/looking for a replacement I‘d wish for (order is not priority):
- 4Motion
- Towbar
- Parking sensors/cam
- climate control
- cruise control (What‘s the new name: ACC?)
- heated seat
- swiveling seats
- tinted windows
- anti roll bars
- Rubber mats
- Multifunctional steering wheel
- awning

Look forward to hear what you choose in the end

Something to consider....
2 adults, 2 kids and one dog?
As a day van there is more space in the Beach and you have clearly thought of that but did you realise a 5th seat is available for the Ocean?
While you can adapt the Beach for cooking facilities with aftermarket options there are also many expensive other things you would have to spec to get back to the creature comfort levels that are standard in the Ocean.
I'm not an expert but I understand that once you start adding stuff that is standard on an Ocean as per brochure such as a heater, Auto lights, heated electronic door mirrors, fog lights, double glazing, heated seats, cllimatronic, multi function steering wheel etc it all becomes nearly as expensive as an Ocean.
One final thought is that the H4 halogen headlights have a really bad reputation on here. Ocean is H7's available in an exterior pack I believe. But LED's is also well debated as I'm sure you will have read.
Then there are other things that you just wont match, like the motorised pop top.

Regardless, if the Beach fits the bill as it does for so many people, have fun with your spec :thumb
:welcome

Morning, a good choice IMO with the kids and a dog, we were in the same position and chose the beach and don’t regret it.
As for upgrades I’d dump the sat nav and just go for App connect( I find it works great with my iPhone maps for navigation)and put the money saved there towards a night heater! LED headlights look great and are great at night but quite and expensive upgrade I think I would spec up other important parts and if you have money left over go for them.

Good luck

We have just got the beach as a second car as wanted flexibility as well as a place for impromptu stay overs after days out.

We didn't fancy carting the kitchen / cupboards etc about on the way to work so chose the Bea j option.

It has parking heater which I hope will extend our usage through the year.

We just packed for 5 nights camping with a large tent for 2 adults and a toddler and there was more than enough room.

We only have 2 seater bench but understand that you may want 3 seater, plus additional seats. I might also get an additional seat too for days out with additional family members.

Check your car seats we got a new recaro hero seat for 3yr old for the van and found it tips sideways from the top when going round corners.

Also maybe a day tent of some kind to keep car seats / luggage when sleeping or on single days out.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thank you for all those thoughts.

Sapto - TY - unfortunately 150 DSG is the only Beach option at the moment, so there is no 4Motion; that was something we would have liked to consider. Not sure if anyone knows if other options might be available for MY19?

Seats wise we were thinking three seater bench plus second row seats. Our child seats are ISOFIX bases which fitted very solidly in the Ocean we hired so will hopefully the same in the Beach, but with a bit more space between the two.

Parking heater sounds like a good idea. - if not needed just at the moment in the heatwave

Carr’s mentioned the Beach does not have a leisure battery - has anyone found that a problem?

Handling wise we wondered about anti roll bars and lowering springs to try to make it (slightly!) more car like. Has anyone got experience of these, and if they help?

Sad - have you used SMG Cowfold recently?

Carr’s mentioned the Beach does not have a leisure battery
Carr's don't know what they are talking about - unless the spec has changed dramatically recently.

The Beach has one leisure battery as opposed to 2 on the Ocean - afaik.

Obviously, the top of your lists will be to make sure you have the seating right but the nr. 1 option on most people's list is the night heater. I'd get it with the remote control as well. It's expensive but a must in many people's lists. Also, make sure you don't get caught out on the comfort seats - these don't swivel and you'll need swivelling seats.

I'm sure you have probably already worked this out but sleeping with 2 adults downstairs in the Ocean is more than cosy. The beach gives you much room - double bed sized. But I think you've already come to that conclusion.

Also - you can spend a fortune on stuff that in the end becomes redundant. So we'd recommend you to try working with a coolbox rather than an expensive fridge to start with. We have a Y piece for our hookup cable so we can run ours on hookup outside the van.

And I think someone mentioned above getting some kind of shelter - there are some great inexpensive options around rather than a drive away awning - there's plenty of threads on here about these.

Have fun!!

SMG Tonbridge. Ask for Martin.

Excellent service and they know the Beach well.

It has a single leisure battery.

Options

-Awning
-Comfort mattress
-Parking heater
-Concept lighting
Make a 7 seat MPV into a camping van

-DSG
-Adaptive cruise control
-Multi function steering wheel
Enhance the driving experience

-Climatronic
-Discover media
Enhance comfort

Don't bother with the comfort dash, it looks good, but has less function

Upgrade lighting to H7, LEDs only if you like the bling for £1700.

7% discount is achievable. We got 14% by ordering as a demonstrator, to our specification, for up to 3 months before delivery, but we did have to wait 10 months for delivery.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Welcome, and congratulations on a very good choice.

As a family car with excellent camping capabilities you will find nothing better especially the seven seater version. We have one and it has been utterly superb at everything we have asked it to do. The point has been made that by the time you've specced up a Beach you may as well have an Ocean. Whilst that may well be true the two vehicles are completely different and cannot really be compared. They suit different needs so if you've worked out which version suits you best, go for it. Cost comparisons are pointless unless either version suits your needs equally.

Try Laine Watts at SMG Tonbridge. He is an enthusiast and actually knows his stuff on Calis. He is a very nice chap and will give you good advice.

I don't know about current achievable discount levels.

As for options, that's down to personal choice but IMO there are a few must haves on a Beach.

1. The parking heater with remote control. This will turn your Beach into a 365 day a year camper.

2. Awning. It's a Cali so it should have one. Very useful on hot or rainy days to either give shade and/or cook under. You can also use it as a porch come awning room if you buy the Comfortz awning room sides from the club shop.
If you fit an awning later it will cost you a fortune. They are much much cheaper as a factory fit.

3. The VW Comfort mattress. This folding mattress is contoured on the underside to even out the shape of the three seat bench when in bed mode. It provides a perfectly flat king sized bed. Some find it a little on the firm side but that can be overcome with a suitable topper. Sleeping on the bench seat without some form of leveling mattress is not to be advised.

4. H7 Headlights. The standard H4s are appalling especially on dipped beam. I believe they can be ordered as part of the exterior pack.

Whilst not essential, the three zone climate control is also a good idea as it's a big space to keep cool in hot weather especially with kids and a dog in the rear.

Good luck

Last edited:
A beach is a great option. Ocean is great but your be carrying a kitchen with you everywhere so affects mpg and you'll lose much needed space (especially as you have kids and a dog!) You can always add kitchen pods if you decide you want a kitchen.

Absolute MUST is parking sensors, its a van and 5 metres long, Every other option is just a lovely bonus!

Ive ordered;
Candy white
DWG Automatic
Sensors
Awning
Heater with remote
Folding mirrors
3 zone air con
Extra slide window
Exterior pack
Adaptive cruise control
MF steering wheel
Privacy glass

Things i thought i wanted but realised after being on here and reading threads, decided against;

Comfort dash. Less storage space than standard dash and less hardy.

6.33 inch radio. Its £450 option and only £185 on a ocean so its a pure con (but you need it if you want app connect so ends up costing you £620 just to get app connect.

Led front lights. They cost 4% of the whole vehicle cost for 2 lights as rear lights are already leds. There just lights at the end of the day. Exterior pack mich better value.

Rear camera. I already drive a massive van and find rear sensors are absolutely fine.

Rear tow preparation. I will never use a tow bar and found i was adding options just for when i come to sell it. Bonkers really.

Comfort lighting. Plenty of great and cheap lighting options out there

Comfort mattress - will use an after market topper. Cheaper and choose your own firmness

All weather tyres. 'Jack of all trades, master of none comes to mind'. Will just fit winter tyres in winter.

But with ALL options, each to their own. Theres no correct or wrong answer! Get a cali beach with NO options and it will still be an amazing family car (and you would save £1000s!!!)

WHOOP WHOOP while writing this i just got an email stating my cali will be built at end of august and delivered 3 weeks later. Im SOOOO excited.

Good luck!

Just a thought on the difference between an Ocean and Beach and fitting car seats. The 3 seater in the Beach is quite different to the 2 seater Beach/Océan. The 3 seater ‘seat’ is higher and more contoured so worth trying your car seats first. (We have 3 seater Beach but looking to order 2 seater).

Just a thought on the difference between an Ocean and Beach and fitting car seats. The 3 seater in the Beach is quite different to the 2 seater Beach/Océan. The 3 seater ‘seat’ is higher and more contoured so worth trying your car seats first. (We have 3 seater Beach but looking to order 2 seater).

Thank you - it is hearing differences like this and the pros and cons of some of the other options that we were really hoping for from the forum and mean we will now be much better informed when we speak to the dealers. Thanks everyone - all the replies have been great.

Anymore comments are of course very welcome - especially any handling recommendations (anti roll, lower springs etc)

Thank you - it is hearing differences like this and the pros and cons of some of the other options that we were really hoping for from the forum and mean we will now be much better informed when we speak to the dealers. Thanks everyone - all the replies have been great.

Anymore comments are of course very welcome - especially any handling recommendations (anti roll, lower springs etc)
My Beach has the standard factory set up and over poor road surfaces the suspension can crash and thump a bit. A Beach can be compared to a lightly loaded builders van. As the pay load increases so does the ride quality. I stand to be corrected but a stiffer anti roll bar and lowered springs set up isn't likely to improve that ride quality. It may corner and drive better at speed but at what cost to comfort? Big wheels with low profile tyres will make it worse still. IMO the standard 16" Cascaval wheels with higher profile tyres will give you the best ride comfort.

Hi,
The beach is a great choice for a multi purpose family van. We have lowering springs to fit it into our garage, never driven one without but it feels great to drive. It replaced our S max and is more comfortable for me and just as easy to manoeuvre. The comfort dash makes it feel like a car. App connect is very useful. The heater is essential, most of our camping is in winter and it's brilliant as is the awning for cooking under. There are 4of us but often we have grandparents or lots of luggage so the versatility is great. We value the space more than a built in kitchen. We have never had a storage issue. We have a cool box plugged in and strapped to the floor, a camp box with all cooking equipment, washing up stuff etc, 2stoves. It all packs in under the multiplex board with supplies and clothes, cost very little and if we bring it into the van it goes along the edge where the kitchen would have been but we still have the big bench seat for lying out on.

Hi,
The beach is a great choice for a multi purpose family van. We have lowering springs to fit it into our garage, never driven one without but it feels great to drive. It replaced our S max and is more comfortable for me and just as easy to manoeuvre. The comfort dash makes it feel like a car. App connect is very useful. The heater is essential, most of our camping is in winter and it's brilliant as is the awning for cooking under. There are 4of us but often we have grandparents or lots of luggage so the versatility is great. We value the space more than a built in kitchen. We have never had a storage issue. We have a cool box plugged in and strapped to the floor, a camp box with all cooking equipment, washing up stuff etc, 2stoves. It all packs in under the multiplex board with supplies and clothes, cost very little and if we bring it into the van it goes along the edge where the kitchen would have been but we still have the big bench seat for lying out on.

Thank you Terry and Borris. Our question came from the experience of driving the hired Cali. We had no issue with the ride when on the open road - it was nice and soft - but around town it really felt as though it dropped its nose too easily pulling up in traffic and in roundabouts is was also softer than I had expected compared to driving hired panel vans.

This might well be a case of horses for courses....I would happily trade a firmer ride on the road if it tightened things up in town, but I am sure that would not suit others.

Love the point about using lowered springs to fit in the garage....makes me think I had better get the tape measure out again!

Back