Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning advice - please

J

jmw

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hello everyone,

I've been reading the various forums for ages while we dither around deciding whether to buy or not! I think we are almost there and have come up with what we think is a spec that will work for us. However, I'm really confused the awnings options in the price list brochure and wonder if anyone can help? What we would like is a black awning with housing onto which (at some point in the future) we can attach a drive away awning. Should we therefore include in the spec 'Awning - housing and rail in black' as specified in the brochure? Can anyone also explain what is meant by 'Awning rail in Black and tent adapter'? Finally, is there any advantage in having a silver awning and rail - we think we will be ordering an 'Ocean' in Starlight Blue and thought the black awning would look better on this.

Thanks in advance for your help.

The only question I can answer is that a black awning is the way to go with blue. The silver awning looks very pale, I saw a silver awning on a white Cali at the weekend and it looked awful.

this is the relevant part of the options list: see pic.
My interpretation is that the awning rail is the standard fit simple rail that is fitted the full length of the vehicle on both sides. You can use the 'tent adapter' to attach a driveway awning/tent using the Kador strip method.
Whereas the awning housing is the optional wind out sun/rain awning. next is the optional choice of silver/black as you mention.
California_pricelist_November_2015-2_pdf.jpg

I have the black on Acapulco Blue. Looks good as its matt like the Ocean lettering

Without the wind out awning there is a rail along either side of the van. On the side with the slising door there is a rubber piece fitted into this rail which is where you slide your awning / drive away kit onto. This is where you have a choice of black or silver. I have a silver van but have the black rail and it looks good.

The only question I can answer is that a black awning is the way to go with blue. The silver awning looks very pale, I saw a silver awning on a white Cali at the weekend and it looked awful.
Thanks everyone,

I had a feeling it might look a bit odd to put a silver awning on a darker coloured van and will go with the black. As to wind out awning/tent adapter I've now also spoken to the dealer who says that to attach a drive away awning to the wind out awning you wind out the awning a little bit, then attach a Kador strip and then attach the awning to the Kador strip. Is this right? I'm just a bit terrified of getting something wrong in the spec and not ending up with what we want!