Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello! California hunting for a euro surf trip...

M

martinwilson

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Evening all,

Like others I originally started looking at doing a conversion myself, something very basic, then the numbers didn't seem to add up and the work looked too extensive. So I moved on to looking at professional conversions...briefly! Before investigating the already converted market, however prices seemed very high and resale figures seemed to be anyone's guess. So here I am, somehow talking myself into spending ~£50k on a new California Ocean to hopefully own for 2-3 years before I switch jobs and lose the freedom of self-employment!

Looking into how long it would be before delivery if I ordered this month but seems unlikely I will get anything before the summer is over.

Current spec/options I'm thinking are:
  • 2.0 - EU6 BMT SWB 150 PS 7sp DSG
  • Cruise control + MF steering wheel - unsure on side scan at the moment...?
  • Front and rear parking sensors with rear parking camera
  • Awning (seems like the actual awning is not included as standard?)
  • Power folding mirrors
  • Fuel tank with a volume of 80l
I'd like to be able to plug my phone in via aux or USB, so may need to add something for that but not sure yet.

Interested on how much you expect to loose/cost after you sell in 3 years time?

Interested on how much you expect to loose/cost after you sell in 3 years time?

Looking at comparables I think depreciation would be around 10k over the 3 years worst case scenario. Do you have a better estimate?

On the other hand it seems impossible to get a lease deal on an Ocean for less than £600/month. So either those guys are making a killing on the California or they are just following a standard lease formula, ignoring the (presently) good residuals.

Mileage seem to make a big difference with regards to resale values and I don't foresee putting more than 10,000 miles on it over the 3 year period as I will only be using it for a couple of big trips and then just 3-4 day trips in Wales/Devon, no plans or need to use it as a daily.

The only thing that I can advise you on is to increase your estimated mileage.
I'd be very surprised if you only did 3500 miles per year in it, but I suppose that all depends on what other cars you have in the garage!

Given the choice between 2 vehicles of equal specification and similar standard , with 1 having done 10,000 miles and the other 30-40,000 miles over 3 years then I wouldn't even consider the 10,000 miles vehicle that had spent over 50% of the time standing still . These vehicles are based on a commercial van. Designed to be used. In my experience vehicles that have been used, maintained by a caring owner have less problems than those that stand around, inside or outside quietly mouldering away instead of out on the road being used.
Seals on vital systems fail if not used regularly. Oil deteriorates if not used regularly. Bearings deform, tyres deform, drive belts deteriorate etc.
If you only plan on 3,000+ miles a year and prepared for £10,000 depreciation loss then hire as and when you need. Save on Insurance, Road Tax etc:.

Given the choice between 2 vehicles of equal specification and similar standard , with 1 having done 10,000 miles and the other 30-40,000 miles over 3 years then I wouldn't even consider the 10,000 miles vehicle that had spent over 50% of the time standing still . These vehicles are based on a commercial van. Designed to be used. In my experience vehicles that have been used, maintained by a caring owner have less problems than those that stand around, inside or outside quietly mouldering away instead of out on the road being used.
Seals on vital systems fail if not used regularly. Oil deteriorates if not used regularly. Bearings deform, tyres deform, drive belts deteriorate etc.
If you only plan on 3,000+ miles a year and prepared for £10,000 depreciation loss then hire as and when you need. Save on Insurance, Road Tax etc:.

Thanks for the opinion.

From the initial research I did the issue with hiring is that I plan to do a 3-4 month trip through Europe, so hiring for that period could easily be £6k and in a vehicle that is probably a lot older than a new Ocean.

Great surf vehicles for sure.

From my experience factor in the following.

You'll need a roof rack 100%, even a 6' 0 gets in the way in the back. I have locking roof straps with anti cut straps and leave the boards on the roof, you can raise the roof with these attached no problems.

Bike rack is handy for drying wetsuits.

If I was ordering from new I'd get the shower option, just good to wash down your feet (water will be cold) before changing in the van.

I got a surf key cut from Timpsons but if VW offer this from new you might as well add a non electric key to your order.

Pack light, the Cali is great but the room soon runs out.

Some amazing & free places to stay in France, literally a stones throw from the surf. Good times.

Enjoy. If you can afford it even maybe, then go for it.

To add, if new order CarPlay or AppNet if they call it that, this allows you to plug your phone in.

Lastly hunt around for an Ex-Demo and don't be super fussy with the options (despite what I said above) the camping stuff is the all the same.

If you buy right then depreciation will be super low.

There are (or at least when I brought mine) some great ex demo deals if you're willing to hunt around and you'll have the Cali for the summer.