Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello from down under !

Steve31

Steve31

Vehicle
Looking to buy
I live in Christchurch, NZ and am planning a visit to the UK, buying a Cali (probably an Ocean) touring around and then taking it home. Great fun reading this forum, planning specs, routes etc and otherwise fantasizing about the trip. We did it 30 years ago in an old combi and its long overdue to come back. One thing I wondered about is making it compatible with nz, my list so far is external power connection, internal power points, nz navigation media, gas valve (I think ours is higher and lid doesn't fit). Looks like buying through a broker is a good idea, any good/bad ones? Also considering tourist delivery, but suspect importing myself will be cheaper.

Hi and welcome! Nine years ago I visited Christchurch and did a "classic" North to South tour with my dad (we drove some kind of Mitsu Colt no Cali). Was impressed by your country and the stunning landscape.
I hope you find your Cali and bring it save back home!

Hi there! Sounds like a great plan!

I'm from Northern Ireland, and I was chatting to my Uncle the other day and told him I'd recently ordered a VW Cali..... He was impressed, and told me a story......

His Father, my Grandfather, had two VW Campers, in his day. The first, a T2 was sold to a Gentleman, who drove it from Northern Ireland to New Zealand (formally called New Ulster, by the way) and started a new life there. He sent numerous letters back to my Grandfather with updates, on how the T2 was keeping. My Grandad loved receiving these letters.

Some 25 years after the sale, with no "update" letters for about 10 of those years, a new letter was dispatched to update my Grandfather, that the VW Camper had finally been sold, due to the owner's old age, and it stated that it was the only thing which he'd purchased in his life, which he sold for more money than he paid for it. Sadly, my Grandad had passed away, just a few weeks before the arrival of this final letter - So, he never got to read it.

I have fond memories of spending time, as a kid with my Grandparents in their camper..... Long may the VW Camper thrive.

I wish you all the best with your adventure!

Jonathan

Last edited:
Welcome to the other side of the world!

Hello and welcome.

I think that NZ has the same voltage as the UK doesnt it? 230v? You may just be able to get away with an adapter or maybe putting UK plug on a multi plug adapter? There are a few electricians on here who may be able to comment on the compatibility but I suspect other than slightly different plugs its the same.

Greetings.
Be aware of the very loooong lead time when ordering a new Cali.

When I collected my Cali there was another couple there at the same time picking up their brand new motorhome. They'd ordered from NZ and then flown over and planned to visit Europe and then ship it back. They said it was very popular to buy this way due to local availability and costs.

Good luck.

Back