Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello from Glasgow

brooodie

brooodie

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Long time lurker finally registered because I'm on the verge of placing my order. Having not had the chance to view, test drive or borrow/rent a California....

I'm going to be going in fairly blind, but I've wanted one for years and it feels like with the waiting lists as long as they are currently if I don't order it now it might be years before I will get one!

My spec/preference is for a 204 Ocean but reading through the forum and looking at the issues with that particular model I'm also considering a 150. Given I hope to own the van for many years to come I'm swithering between the two options (the 204 I really want with a much less certain/fairly tortured build pipeline, or the 150 which I might get in time to use it this year). Any opinions?

Had both. Had 204 4Motion Ocean Manual and now have 150 DSG Beach with VanEssa Kictchen Module. Love the much “lighter” drive of the Beach and DSG. Ps Greetings from Carnoustie and Welcome !

Long time lurker finally registered because I'm on the verge of placing my order. Having not had the chance to view, test drive or borrow/rent a California....

I'm going to be going in fairly blind, but I've wanted one for years and it feels like with the waiting lists as long as they are currently if I don't order it now it might be years before I will get one!

My spec/preference is for a 204 Ocean but reading through the forum and looking at the issues with that particular model I'm also considering a 150. Given I hope to own the van for many years to come I'm swithering between the two options (the 204 I really want with a much less certain/fairly tortured build pipeline, or the 150 which I might get in time to use it this year). Any opinions?
Always plenty of opinions on here :veryfunny

Welcome, sounds like a new adventure!
204 v 150? I will let others "enlighten" you on this detail. Personally I have had two Cali's both Oceans and both 150's 2 wheel drive. Been to destinations as far as the Svalbard Islands in Norway with no issues. The only thing I would say is be sure you spec the the 235/55 R17 9Assuming you stay with R17 tyres. The ride quality difference is light and day! The 235's transforms the cali from a crashy van (with 215's std spec tyres) to something approaching a car!

Welcome on board @brooodie ! Glasgow! the city I love. Don't ask me why. Was three year in Partick/west end and the easy escape to the highlands is what I miss the most.

The deliveries are quite delayed ... maybe that is time you can use well. There are fairly good VW rental companies around Edinburgh and that area. Hire one and see what works for you.

4Mo or not, depends on a lot of factors, but primarily, if you can afford it - then go for it. Also, what kind of a driver do you consider yourself to be. If you like to make good progress, then a 4MO will help, else a 150 with the correct tyres can do a lot of things as well. In either form, it is a very capable vehicle. Another thing to consider - if Winter adventures are your thing, then again, 4MO preferred.

Anyways, if unsure, then would recommend a hire first.

Enjoy the journey ... from considering to ordering ... and then the painful wait until delivery.

Welcome! I've driven both, and whilst the 204 (actually it was a 199) puts a smile on your face, its not necessary, you can make great progress in a 150 and cruise at 90mph all day (if you're on the autobahn of course!). The 150 has plenty of grunt, better fuel economy, lower emissions and cheaper insurance. I felt guilty buying a diesel engine now (albeit RDE2) given the climate crisis, and could barely justify a 150 to myself. Unless you need 4Motion, I doubt you need 204. Spend the £3k (or £6k of 4M) on options, or ppfing the front end, ceramic coating it, Dinitrol the underside, upgrading the anti-roll bars AND the TVS gearbox remap...

Last edited:
Welcome, sounds like a new adventure!
204 v 150? I will let others "enlighten" you on this detail. Personally I have had two Cali's both Oceans and both 150's 2 wheel drive. Been to destinations as far as the Svalbard Islands in Norway with no issues. The only thing I would say is be sure you spec the the 235/55 R17 9Assuming you stay with R17 tyres. The ride quality difference is light and day! The 235's transforms the cali from a crashy van (with 215's std spec tyres) to something approaching a car!
Sounds like 17's should be the first major upgrade for our Coast them (When it eventually lands)? It really is a huge difference eh?

Hi, as both a former Glaswegian and a former lurker, welcome! I found all I learned in my lurking days gave me invaluable knowledge once we became owners, and I'm sure you will too. We have a 2014 model 140ps and it drives absolutely fine. You'll find that suddenly you're not in a hurry once you're in your Cali, regardless of the engine size. But having said that, ours has never been underpowered. I'd say get it sooner and enjoy the ride!

Thanks for all the nice replies!

In the end I decided on the 204 (FWD). I'm used to driving a reasonably fast car (I know a van isn't a car and I don't expect it to be), but ultimately not having the extra grunt would have annoyed me I think.

Now the waiting begins.

Had both. Had 204 4Motion Ocean Manual and now have 150 DSG Beach with VanEssa Kictchen Module. Love the much “lighter” drive of the Beach and DSG. Ps Greetings from Carnoustie and Welcome !
would go further to say, Beach Tour (2 sliding doors) is more flexible and with a 3 seater rear bench, allowing for a wider lower in cabin bed. and as cookers etc. evolve, you get the option to upgrade and change more affordably than if inbuilt. I biased as I don't like etc idea of cooking in my bedroom, and low to cook outside our Cali and not have the smells in the cabin afterwards. to the power, we ended up with the 110kw/240Nm 2L Motion, and with 4 of us and all our gear (550kgs payload) she drove fine. It's not a sports car (I have my 911 Targa for that)