Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello, I now have my new Cali Ocean on my drive. There are a lot of things to learn!!!

We just stand on the armrests, but make sure it’s where it’s attached to the seat not at the front end.
Not broken one yet.

I am 5ft 5 ins but really wish I had an extra 2 inches in height. It would make all the difference in both accessing the top bed and also pulling down the top bunk prior to lowering the roof. For the latter I have to stand on tip toes and jump a bit.
I have a ladder but frankly think the chance Is greater doing myself injury if it, or I slipped.
Meanwhile I am continuing with the Pilates to try and build my upper body strength
I have exactly the same issues , 5.5” and pulling down top bunk before lowering roof is an almighty stretch, better with my walking shoes on, they give a wee half inch extra. And ‘mind your head’ on that last ‘clunk down’ !
We used the back of seat next to headrest to give an last push into upstairs bed, however my has and is 6.1” and managed no probs. He however prefers the downstairs bed ( plus dog )whereas I’m still up top , but with the added extra of a MaxxCamp ladder !

I have exactly the same issues , 5.5” and pulling down top bunk before lowering roof is an almighty stretch, better with my walking shoes on, they give a wee half inch extra. And ‘mind your head’ on that last ‘clunk down’ !
We used the back of seat next to headrest to give an last push into upstairs bed, however my has and is 6.1” and managed no probs. He however prefers the downstairs bed ( plus dog )whereas I’m still up top , but with the added extra of a MaxxCamp ladder !
‘husband’ not ‘has’ !!!

Thanks to those of you who helped me when I was trying to decide whether to go ahead and buy a new van unseen and with no chance of a handover due to Covid restrictions. The company were as helpful as they could be given the circumstances - but we are now going to be learning as we go along. And sheesh -there is a lot to learn! We have been out for a first day trip and tried out the satnav etc, but have not slept in it yet as we need to stock up on a bit of kit and decide what to do about the all important potty question!!
California Chris videos are coming in very useful so far.
One question - is there an alternative to getting a purpose built step ladder to get up into the roof? I gather one cannot stand on the armrest but we do need a boost of about 6 inches.
Thanks
Hi

We’ve been using the arm for 4 years without any breakage - albeit we tread at the back of the armrest closest to it’s fixing - can’t guarantee it but it beets taking up
Space with a ladder !!!

Congratulations on your new Ocean! We had a few trips without a ladder using the edge of the seat to get up top. After a lot of research we bought the Maxxcamp ladder which HansS has posted above and we think it has been one of our best purchases. It is fabulous - light, hooks in and feels rock solid and folds easily to store above the comfort mattress. Love it!

Thanks to those of you who helped me when I was trying to decide whether to go ahead and buy a new van unseen and with no chance of a handover due to Covid restrictions. The company were as helpful as they could be given the circumstances - but we are now going to be learning as we go along. And sheesh -there is a lot to learn! We have been out for a first day trip and tried out the satnav etc, but have not slept in it yet as we need to stock up on a bit of kit and decide what to do about the all important potty question!!
One question - is there an alternative to getting a purpose built step ladder to get up into the roof? I gather one cannot stand on the armrest but we do need a boost of about 6 inches.
Thanks
Hope you have lots of great adventures. I'm 5ft and a bit and not as young as I used to be but I stand on the passenger seat (make sure it is locked. Left hand on edge of roof, right hand on the mattress,, put right foot on the top of the seat by the headrest and upsy daisy I'm sitting on the bed. I won't describe how I did it when I was younger - I certainly can't do that now.

What’s the best sleeping position - head to the front or head to the rear?
We went with head to the front but it does make it difficult to turn around having climbed up to the bed when ones other half is already in there. Might try head to the rear next time.

We do head to rear, but do find we head butt the roof every so often especially when getting up in the morning.

Thanks
Photo! Photo! Photo!

Congratulations on your new Ocean! We had a few trips without a ladder using the edge of the seat to get up top. After a lot of research we bought the Maxxcamp ladder which HansS has posted above and we think it has been one of our best purchases. It is fabulous - light, hooks in and feels rock solid and folds easily to store above the comfort mattress. Love it!
We opted for the MaxxCamp ladder too

Somewhere there is a German language video where the presenter shows a very slick way to get into the roof bed. A new term was coined, something like “The Hendrick Manoeuvre”.

The manoeuvre involves pushing your bottom onto the front of the roof bed, and then swinging your legs around. It’s hard to describe, but surprisingly easy to do.

Back