Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello There

B

Brendon

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Just thought I should say 'Hello' and introduce ourselves. We're the Howe family from Ashford in Kent. We've had our T6 California for a bit over a year now. Kept meaning to 'join the club' and have finally got around to it. Wahoo!
We use our camper quite regularly for trips to orienteering events where Silva (chosen name for camper - play on words with famous compass manufacturer as our California is silver). Its a great base for the kids to keep warm and dry at events, though not the best vehicle to get out of a muddy field despite the mud tyres! We also use Silva for summer orienteering holidays: Switzerland last year, and just back from the French Jura after a week of getting lost in the woods and falling over a lot.

:welcome Silver is a great colour for a Cali.

Just thought I should say 'Hello' and introduce ourselves. We're the Howe family from Ashford in Kent. We've had our T6 California for a bit over a year now. Kept meaning to 'join the club' and have finally got around to it. Wahoo!
We use our camper quite regularly for trips to orienteering events where Silva (chosen name for camper - play on words with famous compass manufacturer as our California is silver). Its a great base for the kids to keep warm and dry at events, though not the best vehicle to get out of a muddy field despite the mud tyres! We also use Silva for summer orienteering holidays: Switzerland last year, and just back from the French Jura after a week of getting lost in the woods and falling over a lot.
Hello and welcome. What tyres are you using?

Hello and welcome. What tyres are you using?
The vehicle came with ContiVan Contact 200 all round, but I've swapped out the front tyres for Michelin Agilis Cross Contact (215 60R17). In hindsight I might have been better shopping around for a 4Motion like yours as the Agilis are not much better once the treads are clogged with mud.
Did wonder whether the addition of chains might help if stuck, but was worried I might just dig a bigger hole!

The vehicle came with ContiVan Contact 200 all round, but I've swapped out the front tyres for Michelin Agilis Cross Contact (215 60R17). In hindsight I might have been better shopping around for a 4Motion like yours as the Agilis are not much better once the treads are clogged with mud.
Did wonder whether the addition of chains might help if stuck, but was worried I might just dig a bigger hole!
Getting chains on once you’re spinning in mud would be a challenge I think. Even with a FWD some different all terrain tyres like BFGoodrich AT2 might help. I’ve found them to be brilliant off the beaten track and not too compromising on road.

Getting chains on once you’re spinning in mud would be a challenge I think. Even with a FWD some different all terrain tyres like BFGoodrich AT2 might help. I’ve found them to be brilliant off the beaten track and not too compromising on road.
Thanks for the pointer. I think I might have looked at them as an option. I seem to recall not being able to get them to fit the rims I have (but I might be wrong)

Thanks for the pointer. I think I might have looked at them as an option. I seem to recall not being able to get them to fit the rims I have (but I might be wrong)
You’re not wrong. I went for 245/65 R17 so the rolling radius is now larger than standard but they do just fit without suspension modifications.

Letting 1 bar of air out might already have helped a lot...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

You’re not wrong. I went for 245/65 R17 so the rolling radius is now larger than standard but they do just fit without suspension modifications.
Good call. Have you checked out www.wheel-size.com yet? A great resource for looking at various tyre size options away from the standard manufacturer's suggestions. Not used it for the California, but its been spot on for specing winter wheels/tyres for my Q5 and CRV before that.

Thanks. I'll give it a go.
I carry a portable Compressor that uses the same batteries as all my small power tools and comes with a USB charger for the batteries So you can keep them charged in the van without using an inverter. It is great for just this, air down as far as you want with the confidence you can top up to operating pressure in a few minutes once you’re out. Great for bikes too with a schrader adapter.

D29DC80F-07B5-47BA-8DC2-27B6DEC1053A.jpeg