Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello....

Radio-active

Radio-active

Mike
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Hi all,

Just achieved my ambition of getting a California SE, a well looked after 2011 with low mileage.
Thank you for all the bumf on here which has helped my research, the good and bad bits and what to look out for. I am trying to forget the money and look forward to a new easy going lifestyle and find weekend hideaways I would not otherwise experience.
The articles on roof corrosion (which mine has) were especially useful, now accepted for repair by VW under warranty.
I have a bare van and need to add a few bits, so advice on the more important bits would be great...
On my list at the moment are:
Mains hook up lead 25m, UK 3pin to mains hook up adapter, Carpet/floor mats, Seat covers, Containers/storage bins for 'stuff' etc, Wheel levelling ramps.
Bike Rack (genuine VW - who is cheapest?),
Roll out awning (Fiamma 45s - is that the best option?)
Do you recommend a 'Calitop' cover for the roof?...is the pop up canvas really waterproof etc?
Other recommended stuff? advice appreciated.

Regards,

Radio-active

Hi and welcome , see you are VIP member already so buy some of your goodies from the forumshop.
And also the sponsors:thumb
Seems you are also well aware of the roof issues so you are ready to go!

Hi and a warm welcome. As HC says good move on becoming a VIP member as quickly pays for itself.

I haven't got mine yet but quite soon and have got a load of the essential extras you mention.

I spent a bit of time on choosing the levelling ramps which like most things are a personal choice. I anticipate camping on some less than even sites so have gone for them and chosen the Milenco Triple levelling ramps which I got from Amazon. Went for them as they should be wide enough for the Cali although they are quite large. Should though either store in the slot next to the bench or for ease of reaching between the front seats. I'll find out soon enough as ideally they will and seats will still swivel. If not next to bench.
Also picked up some chocks as recommended by WG

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/161225900692?_mwBanner=1

On roof toppers again pretty personal. Due to my circumstances I'm going to want on occasions to keep the bellows dry and for this reason and to have the option of cutting the light out have gone for the windowed version from comfortz.

Good luck shopping

Mike

Thanks for the advice, I had not seen those levelling ramps before, they look good but as you say quite big to store...
As per tents, I take it if the bellows are put away wet, you need to raise the roof to dry them out at the first opportunity or they will go mouldy etc

Thanks for the advice, I had not seen those levelling ramps before, they look good but as you say quite big to store...
As per tents, I take it if the bellows are put away wet, you need to raise the roof to dry them out at the first opportunity or they will go mouldy etc
On the bellows I believe so. An issue for me as if it's on the last night or a short trip somewhere I will have trouble raising the roof as my parking is under flats with height restriction. So like I said we all have different issues. Having seen the topper though at a weekend meet I visited I would have gone for it anyway. Will cut out the light as I understand the T6 bellows is very transparent and will give added warmth. We intend to sleep upstairs whenever possible.

Mike

It seems like a good idea if its wet like today, there are a couple of makes out there, any good reviews?

You will need to have a search around but there are several to choose from.
I picked mine up from Comfiortz who advertise on the forum and went with the one in black with Windows as my Cali will be grey. There are s few choices. I'll be getting solar panels on the roof and they will take it back and put in another window for the solar panel so it suited me.
It all comes to choice and with toppers you can have internal ones that stay fitted which give you the warmth or the external which take a few minutes to fit on arrival. Choices choices!

Mike

Hi and welcome.
Re buying stuff...my only advice would be to take your time. We bought plenty of things in the first few weeks of ownership that we've still never used!
Enjoy you your new Cali. I'm sure you'll love it :thumb

Thank you for the comments, keep them coming....:thumb

I would recommend the roof topper from Comfortz, keeps it a lot warmer and dry up top. I would choose one with no windows next time as they are quite awkward to pack away on a campsite especially if it is peeing down. The windows make it harder to fold and creasing them can damage them, so it would be easier to fold away quickly without.
I think the Fiamma awning might be a better option than the Thule/Omnistor one.

Bought a mutze cap from California-camping.de back in 2008 and use it more or less every time we camp. It has been worth every penny. Robust, lightweight, packs down into a small bag and 8 years later it is still waterproof.