Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

HELP: Complete novice ready to buy my first California

pgazzard

pgazzard

Hi Everone,

I am new to the group, an Aussie guy, 45 years old, who has spent 25 years living and working from London, I have decided to sell up my house which is currently due to exchange contracts on 15th November, and then go on a European adventure with my two beautiful Boxer dogs. Ultimately I will end up purchasing a small house on the eastern end of the French Riviera near Menton, but between now and the Spring I am looking to go travelling in my very first VW Californian which I am looking to buy now. I love the new facelift model of the VW Californian and am interested to buy a second hand low mileage vehicle with the following specs:
•Left hand Drive
• 4 Motion (4WD)
• 180hp BTDI engine
• Airconditioning front and back
• Diesel central heating
•Integrated Sat Nav with Blue tooth compatibility for my iPhone
• 17 Inch Alloys
Comfort Bed Pads

I am a cash buyer and want to ensure that i get the most essential options from the start, as I am planning to kep this vehicle for many years.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

pgazzard said:
Hi Everone,

I am new to the group, an Aussie guy, 45 years old, who has spent 25 years living and working from London, I have decided to sell up my house which is currently due to exchange contracts on 15th November, and then go on a European adventure with my two beautiful Boxer dogs. Ultimately I will end up purchasing a small house on the eastern end of the French Riviera near Menton, but between now and the Spring I am looking to go travelling in my very first VW Californian which I am looking to buy now. I love the new facelift model of the VW Californian and am interested to buy a second hand low mileage vehicle with the following specs:
•Left hand Drive
• 4 Motion (4WD)
• 180hp BTDI engine
• Airconditioning front and back
• Diesel central heating
•Integrated Sat Nav with Blue tooth compatibility for my iPhone
• 17 Inch Alloys
Comfort Bed Pads

I am a cash buyer and want to ensure that i get the most essential options from the start, as I am planning to kep this vehicle for many years.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

If you want to LHD you might want to source through a LHD company

http://www.my-lhd.co.uk/?gclid=CID9lODf ... tAodHygA2Q

or

http://www.lhdcarsupermarket.com/

for example

LHD car supermarket does have a Cali for sale but the pics are of a multivan but may be worth giving them a call, also, the multivan appears to be pre facelift.

http://www.lhdcarsupermarket.com/catalo ... e%5Bto%5D=

Spec should be fine, a lot of the LHD Cali's tend to have Sat Nav etc fitted. I am sure others here like Martin with his LHD will be able to give some advice.

James

Thank you so much James,

It's all very new to me, so I'm in a complete minefield at the moment about what really are the essential needs that I should ensure I have included in my initial purchase, and what things can be easily added later on. My biggest quandry is whether to pay the extra now for the 4x4 (4Motion) option, or not, and whether I should opt for the manual or DSG transmission option. I have always loved being a driver and driving manual cars, but having had a mercedes ML270 for the past 5 years with tiptronic auto, I've got used to driving the auto, and found the tiptronic useful when descending steep declines, or suddenly reducing speed on a motorway using the engine as a brake to save on disc pad wear and tear. When driving cars I usually opt for the manual option because I enjoy the driving experience, but technology has come so far in recent years, I'm wondering if long term I may prefer the DSG than the manual.

I've also heard that there are so many wonderful VW approved accessories available to add to the Californian through a company called "Baundruff" I'm not sure if I've got the company name right, but if you could recommend the best aftermarket suppliers of accessories that would be wonderful.

Anyway, again, thanks for your advice on the LHD website. In the grand scheme of things, do you think if I was living in France with the occasional trip back to the UK, it would make much difference if I ended up buying a RHD versus a LHD model. I find it no trouble driving my current RHD 4x4 on the continent with the exception of having to lean over the passenger seats for motorway toll ticket dispensers, but aside from that I can't think of any real disadvantages of having RHD vs LHD on the continent. It is certainly a lot more difficult navigating the streets of London in a LHD vehicle, than driving anywhere on the continent in a RHD vehicle. Let me know your thoughts.

Finally, if you have any tips for buying cheaper abroad than here due to taxes and VAT that would be useful.

Very best regards,

Phillip 07768404527 :thanks

Hi

The german manufacturer is Brandrup. Prepare yourself for an intake of breath when you see the prices of their goods! A good discount can be obtained from our site sponsors SMG. I have bought from them and they provide an excellent service.

LHD v RHD remember the high "Van" driving possition may mean that the issue of driving not such a problem as a normal car, JUST athought.

If you think you will be living with a California outside of the UK, I would definitely be buying a LHD model. The UK RHD model has some reduced features, which is a compromise we have to accept. Also, think of how annoying it would be on your own and constantly on the wrong side for toll booths, car parks and safe overtaking.

As for Auto, Manual and 4Motion, its a very personal opinion. 4Motion might be handy if you frequent the Alpine region in the winter. I wanted this originally, but it was limiting my choices so I ditched the idea!

Menton.......a good municipal campsite above the town.......an easy 400 steps down in the morning but not such an easy climb at night.......

Ideal for Monaco GP time......

We looked at that site this year. Quickly moved on, it's a dump.

Rilla said:
If you think you will be living with a California outside of the UK, I would definitely be buying a LHD model. The UK RHD model has some reduced features, which is a compromise we have to accept. Also, think of how annoying it would be on your own and constantly on the wrong side for toll booths, car parks and safe overtaking.

As for Auto, Manual and 4Motion, its a very personal opinion. 4Motion might be handy if you frequent the Alpine region in the winter. I wanted this originally, but it was limiting my choices so I ditched the idea!

Rilla - you're right - we do have a reduced Cali range and options in the UK. The essentials are available but there are other options that we simply don't get in the UK.

The other benefit of a LHD Cali is engine choice, the equipment is personal taste, but there is a far wider range of engines in the LHD market.

The spec of LHD Calis is often higher because there is more to choose from and put simply, there is a different value on what is considered important.

It's quite typical too see LHD Cali's with full climtronic, auto lights/wipers and full 510 Sat Nav.

You also get the LHD Multivan dash which is very different, and in my personal opinion, and it's just that, a personal opinion, better. The dash also means you get the pull across blinds for the front windscreen.

And if you do select a 4 Motion LHD Cali there are some 4 Motion bits not available in the UK such as underbody protection.

Check out this thread

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2484

Just gives you a bit of background on a LHD Cali.

My own thoughts on LHD/RHD is as the post says here, a higher vehicle with windows all round, even with some blind spots would not make much difference. From personal experience I have driven a large VW Vanagon (T25) on UK Roads and that was not too bad. Being high up was the key.

As you can probably tell I looked at importing a LHD T5 before I bought my Beach. i don't know about import taxes other than there is a difference on milage - that is I think at 6000 kilometres a vehicle is no longer classed as new. I do know from my Vanagon that it is very easy to register your vehicle with the DVLA and get a V5 and correct plates.

I guess it depends on price, as discussed on this forum before, the price of the vehicle is not just what you pay up front, in the LHD case, it's the cost of importing, insuring and running it.

Looking at the LHD Supermarket and the Multivans (Carravelles in the UK) there are some real tempters there.

Finally just to get some idea of German Cali's for sale - if you want an idea on typical specs, check out this link.

http://www.mobile.de/modellverzeichnis/ ... ornia.html

James

I guess other considerations would be.......

1. If you have a LHD Cali there are limits to how far you can push the drivers seat back as it backs onto to the ' kitchen ' . If you are tall this means that your leg room will be limited.

2. On the other hand if traveling alone and on a night stop, you would leave the drivers seat in place and swivel the passenger seat. This would be easier and is of benefit due to the internal Cali layout.

3. If you are going to keep the Cali in France, a deciding factor may be how long you can keep it there without having to re register in France ( 6 months ? ) and the likely very high costs of doing this, the need to bring a UK registered one back here for yearly MOT and the costs of UK insurance as well as their insistence on you having a UK address and paid for UK road tax. Comfort offer 365 days Europe travel but this is not intended for people living abroad, they will charge a premium for that. Compare costs of insurance and road tax. On the subject of insurance it appears that ' over there ' they are automatically covered for countries that are not on our policy's and that some insurers here will not even grant you a green card to drive through. I am thinking here of Serbia, Albania, Montenegro, etc.

4. My 2010 Cali has almost 50k on the clock and about 45k of this has been covered on European roads, I agree that the extra height means that any disadvantage of being on the wrong side is almost eradicated, apart that is when you end up behind a lorry. On the plus side driving a RHD Cali over there means you can judge and see how close you are to the ' ditch ' on the roadside...!

On the subject of LHD v RHD I always seem to get it wrong and it hasn't been a big deal. I drove RHD in Germany for years and didn't didn't find it an issue, perhaps because their roads are wider and straighter and a lot of the driving is on autobahn. I brought back a LHD from the USA, expecting to return to Germany and didn't......so ran it in UK for many years. Had to be slightly more careful when overtaking but apart from that not an issue. However, doing it longterm tends to see increased wear on the inside tyres........probably due to increased weight on that side and the road camber. One thing that surprises me about the Cali is the passengers, or dogs, exit into the traffic rather than the pavement. However, whether LHD or RHD that problem will go away on the continent.........I think !

Would love to have one but yet to make the final decision !!

Derek

Derek Lawson said:
On the subject of LHD v RHD I always seem to get it wrong and it hasn't been a big deal. I drove RHD in Germany for years and didn't didn't find it an issue, perhaps because their roads are wider and straighter and a lot of the driving is on autobahn. I brought back a LHD from the USA, expecting to return to Germany and didn't......so ran it in UK for many years. Had to be slightly more careful when overtaking but apart from that not an issue. However, doing it longterm tends to see increased wear on the inside tyres........probably due to increased weight on that side and the road camber. One thing that surprises me about the Cali is the passengers, or dogs, exit into the traffic rather than the pavement. However, whether LHD or RHD that problem will go away on the continent.........I think !

Would love to have one but yet to make the final decision !!

Derek

Derek

That's because Calis are LHD vehicles adapted for the UK, RHD but without LHD Dash and retaining the sliding door on (for us) the wrong side.

I guess the development costs of a RHD Cali, the cost of building, against the number of sales does not make a full RHD conversion viable. And as you can see from this forum are happy with Cali's.

From my experience, like others, LHD is fine, made much easier by height and visibility when driving in the UK.

Ideally I'd take a LHD Cali, it's how VW Intended it to be. But owning, running, and then selling one in the UK could be problematic, servicing, VW warranty etc. And the RHD Cali is still a lovely vehicle.

As a Beach Owner, looking at LHD Beaches, there are so many things and variants we don't get here, it is very tempting.

James

James,

Thanks for that.............but have a look at www.jerbacampervans.co.uk who convert VW vans. The sliding door appears to be on the correct side for UK ! Not suggesting it's a show stopper, however, it looks as though they exist but not for Cali's.

Derek

Derek Lawson said:
James,

Thanks for that.............but have a look at http://www.jerbacampervans.co.uk who convert VW vans. The sliding door appears to be on the correct side for UK ! Not suggesting it's a show stopper, however, it looks as though they exist but not for Cali's.

Derek

Derek

They don't exist from the factory for the Cali because that's the van VW use for the basis. All the trim is arranged for LHD. There is a thread here about creating a RHD by OxfordT5.

James

Hi Guys,

I've just returned from a 2 day recce trip to Europe's Largest Volkswagen Campervan Centre in Amersfoort Holland. I was completely blown away by the incredible range of inclusions and options available in the LHD models. Hence, I spent wto whole days in the showroom with one of the staff, a really cool guy called Mark Haaksman. He is very interested in helping out anyone in our forum looking for LHD models, and I have come back with a suitcase full of brochures etc and some great photo's. I have got my heart set on a California Confortline "Edition" in white with black trim and black alloys. I will post the pictures I took of the showroom and warehouse that they have full of Cali's later on. Big thanks to Custard for all your help and inspiration.

Phillip :cool

All I did was send you expensive vans I'd like to own and then try to sell you my Vanagon lol... Seriously it was no problem. It was a learning curve for me :).

The Comfortline Edition is a lovely van a sort of Sportline Cali. White units discussed on the forum previously and look smart but not to everyone's taste.

I think the place in Holland is amazing. If my vehicle was a second vehicle only it would be tempting to buy a leftie even in the UK.

It was a pleasure to help :). If you get the Comfortline Edition even if you go to the South of France you have to come to a meet so we can have a look at it

James.

Hi James,

Definitely, I will come and show you the vehicle and give you a spin. Even though I will be based in the South of France, I would like to remain an active member of this forum. I am sure I will be making regular visits back to the UK, and the whole idea of participating in events whether they be in the UK or on the continent is a great interest to me.

Thanks again Custard.

Phil :thanks

Whilst I am completely bisotted by the "Edition" White and Black colour scheme, I am sure given that I have two Boxer dogs, who love nothing more than a mud bath, I will have my work cut out for me keeping the white cupboards and interior really spotless. I think I will purchase a Brandrup solar shower so I can rinse them down and towel them off each time we board the Cali. Their names are Marley (Left) and Cassie (Right) both 4.5 years old. They will be my permanent family wherever I go.

Phillip :eek:

My Babies.jpeg

Hi Phil

I saw those two pics on facebook :)

I think there perhaps needs to be a separate area for LHD info, I know it probably won't be of a great demand but LHD might be more of an option for some people

- in the least it would be nice to have the info and you found out loads of stuff and bagged yourself a forum contact.

You need to speak to Stu here about Blueooth, he's the one for all things 510 Sat Nav and Bluetooth.

Just about any other colour subject here will be covered :)

I think the Edition models are smart, including the Beach, the white cupboards... Well, you'll just have to see how they go lol.

James

Oh and you have to make some option choices :smile :smile :cool

Special equipment Price + Details

Shelves and storage boxes

Network storage in the rise of the roof opening drawer next to the bed and the seat bench, left, rather than a through-loading
€ 178.50

Towbars

Hitch, abnehm-/abschließbar (including trailer stabilization)
€ 880.60

Preparation for towing (including trailer stabilization)
€ 238.00

Mirror adjustment

Exterior mirrors, electrically anklapp, adjustable and heated
€ 163.03

Exterior mirrors, electrically adjustable and heated
Series

Camping Equipment Packages

Camping GAZ bottle (2.8 kg) initial assembly of the gas cylinder tank in the rear Geschränk
€ 85.68

Flooring

Inlaid carpet (3 pieces) in the cab, passenger compartment u.Kofferraum color: classic gray
€ 190.40

Floor mats (velor) in cab
€ 64.26

Roof types

Additional window in front, in the bellow of the aluminum-up roof (electric openable) in body color
€ 71.40

Roof rails / roof rack

Mounting rails on the roof (preparation for sliding roof rack)
Series

Theft protection

Theft alarm system with interior monitoring in the cab, back-up horn and towing protection
€ 297.50

Immobiliser (electronic)
Series

Diesel Particulate Filter / Emissions

Exhaust concept, EU5 plus
Series

Electrical interface for external use

Wireless Internet Access
€ 833.00

Driver Assistance Systems

Park Pilot, audible alarms for obstacles in the front and rear
€ 660.45

Park Pilot, audible alarms for obstacles in the front and rear with rear view camera "Rear Assist"
€ 1,267.35

Reversing camera "Rear Assist"
€ 606.90

Power steering with safety steering column, adjustable for height and length
Series

Servotronic (speed-sensitive power steering and adjustable in height and length, collapsible steering column)
€ 440.30

Lane Change Assist "Side Assist"
€ 1,047.20

Undercarriage

Reinforced front and rear stabilizers, Standard-Federung/-Dämpfung
€ 333.20

Window

Rear window (double glazed) with rear-window wiper washer system, heated
Series

Sliding window with fly screen in passenger compartment, front left
Series

Sliding window with fly screen in passenger compartment, front right
€ 357.00

Front and rear side windows, in Lade-/Fahrgastraum right
Series

Window (type in Fahrgast-/Laderaum)

Heat-insulating glass (green) in the cab and dark-colored double (Privacy) glazing in the passenger compartment
Series

Window in Fahrgast-/Laderaum

Sun protection film on the windows, deep black tint in the passenger compartment
€ 481.95

Cargo cover

Bed extension with comfort sleeping pad
Series

Heckscheiben-Wisch/Waschanlage intermittent wipers

Rear window (normal glass, heated) with a rear window wiper washer
€ 0.00

Heating / air conditioning

3-zone air conditioning "Climatronic", 2nd Ve rdampfer, heater, air and sky additional operations in the passenger compartment
€ 1,148.35

Fresh air with activated carbon filter
€ 23.80

Air conditioning "Climatic" (semi-automatic) in the cab and 2 Heating of the passenger compartment
Series

Dust and pollen filter
Series

Steering wheels

Leather steering wheel with leather partial peripheral
€ 168.98

Multifunction leather steering wheel with controls for radio and mobile phone
€ 374.85

Light and Vision

Bi-xenon headlamps with LED daytime running lights
€ 1,320.90

Light and view
€ 243.95

Magnetic Flashlight
€ 71.40

Air filters (engine)

Air filter for dust-rich countries, with filter saturation indicator
€ 163.03

Awning

Awning (housing and rail in black)
€ 624.75

Black + tent awning rail adapter
Series

Multi-function display / on-board computer

Multifunction display "Premium" with multicolor display
€ 261.80

Radios / navigation systems

4 speakers
Series

CD changer (CD 6)
€ 511.70

Digital sound package "DYNAUDIO"
€ 1,326.85

Multimedia jacks "MEDIA-IN" with iPod / iPhone adapter cable, and "AUX-IN" for connecting external audio sources
€ 178.50

Multimedia jacks "MEDIA-IN" with USB adapter cable and "AUX-IN" for connecting external audio sources
€ 165.41

Radio navigation system "RNS 510"
€ 2,576.35

Radio navigation system "RNS 510" radio with digital radio (DAB +)
€ 2,784.60

Radio system "RCD 310" with digital radio (DAB +)
€ 761.60

Radio preparation
Series

TV reception
€ 1,320.90

Smoking / Non smoking-execution

Non smoking version (12-volt socket and cup holder on the dashboard)
Series

Smoking version (12V socket with cigarette lighter, ashtray and 2 cupholders in the instrument panel)
€ 20.23

Tire pressure monitoring system

Tire pressure monitor
€ 55.93

Wheels / tires - 17

Alloy wheels "Cascavel" 7J x 17, in anthracite, sheen finish
Series

Alloy wheels "Cascavel" 7J x 17, in silver, sheen finish
€ 1,195.95

Alloy wheels "Neva" 7J x 17
€ 1,195.95

Alloy wheels "Thunder" 7J x 17
€ 1,071.00

Tires 235/55 R17 103H rf optimized rolling resistance
Series

Wheels / tires - 18

4 alloy wheels AZEV "R" (black) for special model EDITION, tires 255/45 R18; rim 8,5 Jx18 H2 ET50
€ 725.90

Alloy wheels "Canberra" 8J x 18
€ 1,719.55

Wheels / tires - spare / repair kit

Tool kit and jack
Series

Alloy Spare wheel (it is omitted: Tyre Mobility Set)
€ 291.55

Repair Kit (Tyre Mobility Set: 12-volt compressor and tire sealant)
Series

Spare wheel (steel) in driving tire
€ 80.92

Wheels / tires - winter tires (additional) *

Additional winter tires 215/60 R 17 C 104/102 T mounted on 4 steel wheels
€ 880.60

Wheel / Tire Accessories

Covers for alloy wheels
Series

Wheel to wheel lock with adapter (4 wheel an-/abschraubbar only with adapter)
€ 24.99

Headlight washers / heated windscreen washer jets

Heated windscreen washer jets front and washer fluid level indicator
Series

Headlight washer system with heated washer jets front and washer fluid level indicator
€ 279.65

Sliding doors in Fahrgast-/Laderaum

Electric sliding door with electric closing, right
€ 458.15

Power latching system for sliding door, right
Series

Key for locking system

2 remote folding keys for locking system with remote control
Series

2 remote folding keys, 1 key for rigidly locking system with remote control
€ 15.47

Strainers

Mud flaps front and rear
€ 176.12

Seat Covers

Seat covers in Alcantara / leather (center seat Alcantara, leather seat bolsters)
€ 1,267.35

Seat upholstery in fabric design "Crete"
Series

Seats first Seat row

Swivel seat left, with lumbar support (not adjustable) in the 1.Sitzreihe
Series

Right swivel seat with lumbar support (not adjustable) in the 1.Sitzreihe
Series

Comfort seat left, with lumbar support (non-swivel) in the 1.Sitzreihe
€ 0.00

Comfort seat, right, with lumbar support (non-swivel) in the 1.Sitzreihe
€ 0.00

Lumbar support for left and right single seat in the 1.Sitzreihe (both electrically adjustable)
€ 279.65

Lumbar support for left and right single seat in the 1.Sitzreihe (both manually adjustable)
Series

Lumbar support for left and right seat in the 1.Sitzreihe (electrically left, right manually adjustable)
€ 174.93

Seats second Seat row

1 rotary seat with longitudinal adjustment on rail system, in 2.Sitzreihe
€ 529.55

(Integrated into the seat and fold-out) for child seat swivel seat in the 2nd Seat row
€ 249.90

Preparation for the subsequent installation of a single seat in the 2nd Seat row
€ 71.40

Heaters / air heaters

Air heater programmable, remote-controlled, heater
Series

Storage compartment

Security compartment (lockable)
€ 117.81

Telephone / Telematics

Telephone kit "Plus"
€ 446.25

Mobile phone preparation "Premium"
€ 470.05

Door and door latch

Central locking with radio remote control, safe and secure interior operation
Series

Underrun protection

Sill on the right side for the protection of the right Holmes add. to tank underride guard left
€ 529.55

Skirts left and right to protect the outer sub-beams
€ 1,071.00

Skid plate for main silencer made of sheet aluminum ("aluminum slide")
€ 434.35

Skid plate for fuel tank made of smooth aluminum sheet
€ 1,547.00

Underrun protection for the engine and transmission of smooth aluminum sheet
€ 928.20

I just found a website in English reviewing the German specifications of the new limited edition California Confortline 'Edition'

http://germancarscene.com/2012/07/15/sp ... a-edition/

Today I am out for most of the day, but tomorrow I will post all the photographs I took from my trip to Amersfoort in Netherlands of the enormous showroom of Volkswagen Campercentrum NL. This dealership have a special tax free scheme to sell new and used LHD T5 California's with the full German specification, whereby you are initially registered with German ZOLL plates even to a UK address, for 3,6 or 12 months, after which the vehicle is considered used and therefore VAT exempt, and then you can register it in the UK without VAT or import duty.

I am likely to order either a new vehicle registered in Germany with "ZOLL PLATES", or a nearly new vehicle which has already had the tax paid in Germany by the first owner and therefore will be a second hand vehicle to me and again will be registered initially to me in Germany with "ZOLL PLATES." until I transfer the registration permanently to my country of domicile. (Currently the UK, but likely to be Monaco by the Spring of 2013.

This sounds a bit confusing, but put as simply as I can explain there is a loophole whereby the vehicle can be purchased in Netherlands with German registration for either 3,6 or 12 months.(ZOLL-PLATES) It is a kind of tourist scheme where for example, tourists who are legally domiciled in Europe, (such as myself being UK resident) buy a camper van, then travel around Europe for a given time and then they decide whether to register the car in their own European country or sell it.

Here are two websites that explain the scheme:

The company in the Netherlands that arranges the temporary German registrations
http://www.vdcnederland.nl/nl/zoll.aspx

A website explaining the scheme in English
http://www.autogeek.net/gerzolplat.html

Warmest regards,

Phillip

Attachments

• California Edition.tiff
    481.7 KB · Views: 494
Custard said:
Hi Phil

I saw those two pics on facebook :)

I think there perhaps needs to be a separate area for LHD info, I know it probably won't be of a great demand but LHD might be more of an option for some people

- in the least it would be nice to have the info and you found out loads of stuff and bagged yourself a forum contact.

You need to speak to Stu here about Blueooth, he's the one for all things 510 Sat Nav and Bluetooth.

Just about any other colour subject here will be covered :)

I think the Edition models are smart, including the Beach, the white cupboards... Well, you'll just have to see how they go lol.

James

White Cupboards + 2 Brindle Boxer Dogs. I'll have to make a bulk purchase of spray cleaner from Makro. Actually they are very clean dogs, and with a cold shower and a rub down with a towel, they don't make a mrs or shed hair. I have a double doggie bed which will fit between the rear bench seat and the front seats. (Top tip.....buy shares in Proctor & Gamble before I make my bulk purchase of Flash surface cleaner LOL) :bananadance

wasted said:
i drive a lot in EU but choose a RHD simply because I find it more comfortable being right handed

Bit confused by this comment. Just as in the UK, vast majority of people on the continent are right handed. And with about 3/4 of the world driving on the left, changing gear with the right hand is what the engineers intended. So the idea that being right handed makes a RHD car some how more natural - well that's not how I see it.

QUite the opposite; I have an LHD Cali, am right handed and view gear changing with my right hand to be an advantage. Perhaps it's just what you are used to? Of course, what one prefers is entirely subjective...

Back