Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help -- EGR

Surforswim; Fresh East working?
Just onshores here!

The 180 EGR valve is different and a lot more time consuming to remove and replace than a 140 EGR valve which is why one is nearly £1,000 + VAT retail and the other is just over half the cost.

cheers

smgcowfold said:
The 180 EGR valve is different and a lot more time consuming to remove and replace than a 140 EGR valve which is why one is nearly £1,000 + VAT retail and the other is just over half the cost.

cheers

Don't you think it's a bit off that so many are failing? And so many roofs are having paint issues? I know you can extend a warranty but it then becomes an insurance product for which you pay an excess for each claim. So its not really a warranty.

Alex both southcoastcali's and mine are 180's we are trying to determine as the faults were similar warning light on no running issues why the work scope was so different. I guess it will be the diagnostics results which will drive the workscope and hence costs.

KernowLad said:
smgcowfold said:

cheers

Don't you think it's a bit off that so many are failing? And so many roofs are having paint issues? I know you can extend a warranty but it then becomes an insurance product for which you pay an excess for each claim. So its not really a warranty.

Out of all of the T5's produced there are not that many. Remember that forums provide a slightly skewed perception as most will join to find out about problems etc...so it is not entirely representative.

Thanks

Hmmm.....if its is rare.......why have quite a few of us had two fail under the warranty period. Surely that does not add up........

Maybe we need a poll?

19 have had roof blister issues, I'd say more have had EGR failure. And there's more on the T4/T5 forum.

It's useful that most are being sorted but some are having major hassles over it, it's very inconvenient sorting anything (especially when miles from home), some have had multiple failures and it makes ownership outside warranty a worry.

A forum member has suggested that early ones had a dampness issue with newer ones being better designed. If this is the case, why not insist we have the new versions if ours fail?

Here;

Today, 10:37
Cornwallconvoy
Van Guru

Re: EGR valve failure
when we got ours done at the roadside (well campsite) by VW assistance they chap said the lots of early 5.1s had this problems...in fact they used to carrry the part on the van it was so common. The new version fitted apparently is different and stops condenstation building up around the electronics in the cap and this was what was causing them to fail.

BerndRos said:
Hmmm.....if its is rare.......why have quite a few of us had two fail under the warranty period. Surely that does not add up........

This is the thing...it's the multiple failures bit that worries me. We got our van the same time as Bernd....one of the first"new" ones ( new shape but still using up the old bellows with two windows not three" ) and I am starting to get the feeling that we are suffering as a result...if they new EGR valve is different then surely that's a tacit admission that the old wasn't right

Agree we need a poll!

Martin said:
What options would you like on this poll, I will get it added?

Martin; how about a list of issues from ours (light came on, reset, okay so far) to multiple replacements like Bern.

Who has had;

1) just an emissions light with EGR sensor reset
2) a replacement EGR valve under warranty
3) two or more replacements under warranty
4) out if warranty replacement
5) disputed claim as yet unsettled

Or something like that!

My list would look like :
1) 2.6 years old 15000 miles, Orange light plus orange coil came on went into limp mode whole ERG unit replaced under warranty
2) 6 months and 3000 miles later orange light on, no impact on performance, just ERG valve replaced, out of warranty by 2 weeks 52% contribution by VW
3) Roof blistering repairs done

Doesn't look good to me when written down especially when i could list Jag x type estate 8 years or Honda CRV 4 years both diesels not a thing wrong cropped up on either.

The only thing i can say is i have had great customer care from my 2 nearest dealerships 1 which did the mechanical stuff and the other the bodywork neither of which i bought the vehicle from.

Hi all...sorry for the lack of response. Normal life got in the way somewhat
VW have increased their offer and since a wobbly start on Thursday have been great at keeping me informed of what they are doing and taken my concerns seriously
Turns out that the two faults are not related - First is EGR and the second is to do with cooling system and radiator( once I get the worksheet will let you know)

So....despite my early rantings and wailing it seems that actually VW have performed well and up to my expectation in this instance. I am still a bit sceptical over what happens " next time" it goes wrong but maybe I have finally hit a good luck streak and there won't be any "next time" for a long time!

Here's hoping! Thanks for all your help on this thread though - much appreciated. When the poll is up I will add my voice to it. :thanks

I have a t6 beach. 13k miles. egr valve failed. obviously a warranty job but is this piece of crap going to fail on me every couple of years? and I drive it hard on long journeys. since when did you have to do long journeys? how does that reduce emissions if I can't just nip down the shop for a pint of milk without going on a motorway for 20 minutes? and since when was I not allowed to fill up at tescos? where does all this tripe come from?

I have a t6 beach. 13k miles. egr valve failed. obviously a warranty job but is this piece of crap going to fail on me every couple of years? and I drive it hard on long journeys. since when did you have to do long journeys? how does that reduce emissions if I can't just nip down the shop for a pint of milk without going on a motorway for 20 minutes? and since when was I not allowed to fill up at tescos? where does all this tripe come from?
You do realise the last post on this thread was in 2013.

I cannot speak about the T6 EGR, but mine was replaced at 900 miles due to an electrical fault and no problems over the last 52,000 miles. I do varied trips and I use, heaven help me, supermarket fuel occasionally.
EGR valves fail on all types of vehicles, even petrol engines for all types of reasons. Blame the Climate Change Lobby for making combustion engines so complicated.

ditto as WG, our t5 180 ran to 63k until changed for our t6 with no EGR issues I am not expecting the t6 to have a issue and if it fails I am happy I have a 5 year warranty.

I know of 3 other T6 150's with egr and DPF sensor issues being fixed by their dealers. One of them has been ongoing for ages and seemed to be the fix guiniepig the issue appears to be known now by vw and the other 2 are fixed so I suspect yours will be okay once changed.

Back