Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help - One for the In Car Entertainment techies

marshian70

marshian70

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi All
Looking for a bit of advice. I recently installed an aftermarket Sat Nav unit in my Cali to replace the RCD 310. Very pleased with it other than a temperamental FM signal (despite using a booster) which seems to be a problem with many non VW units.
So I decided to add on a DAB module - would rather not stick an aerial to the windscreen, but I am hoping it will provide a more reliable radio reception.
I opted for a AutoDAB unit, which connects using the AV input on the head unit.
Was going to have a go at installation this afternoon, but slightly puzzled on wiring, hence the reason for the request for help
The first picture below shows the phono connectors from the DAB unit, as I understand it Audio Left (White), Right (Red) and Video (yellow).
The second picture shows the connectors from the head unit - there are two red connectors - front and rear, two white, again front and rear, plus 2 yellow, numbered 1 and 2.
My thinking is to use the front red and white, plus yellow number 1, but appreciate your thoughts?
The third picture shows 3 more connectors from the head unit, yellow video, plus aux right (red) and aux left (white). So I wonder if I should be connecting these instead?
Finally picture 4 is the information from the user manual.
Any advice/opinions gratefully received!
Many thanks
Ross

IMG_0137.JPG IMG_0138.JPG IMG_0139.JPG IMG_0140.JPG

I would think the audio and video out front and rear are for attaching external screens or amplifiers.

I would have thought that a DAB unit would be plugged into the Aux In cables - although I have no idea why a DAB unit would require a video signal - unless it displays its info on the screen - in which case that is cool :)

I would think the audio and video out front and rear are for attaching external screens or amplifiers.

I would have thought that a DAB unit would be plugged into the Aux In cables - although I have no idea why a DAB unit would require a video signal - unless it displays its info on the screen - in which case that is cool :)
Thanks Teeboy, that makes sense, and yes, it should display info on the screen, when I get that far!

I'm puzzled. Assuming the DAB unit sends an audio and video signal, how do you control the DAB tuner itself to actually select station, program type etc?

I'm puzzled. Assuming the DAB unit sends an audio and video signal, how do you control the DAB tuner itself to actually select station, program type etc?
The unit I have is controlled via a separate remote control, so everything is hidden.

Back