Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5 RDS 200 upgrade to VW head unit with bluetooth.

Tom Rae

Tom Rae

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I have an RCD 200 unit in my T5 which no longer accepts CD's so I am looking to upgrade, preferably to a bluetooth standard VW head unit. I do not want/need DAB (drive in remote areas) or sat nav (use Google maps). My previous attempt to upgrade came to grief, I bought an Android head unit recommended on here but I suspect there was a Cambus conflict and it resides in the workshop cupboard, sulking. I would prefer a standard VW head unit if possible but I am not familiar with the nomenclature? Can anyone advise?

Last edited:
I can't see the age of your Cali on my mobile, but if its post 2010 there is a great solution discussed here before Rcd330 (I think) although it's too modern to play cd's. They are taken out of VW's in China and available at great prices, and will integrate with your phone for maps etc. Search for forum for Rcd330 and see what comes up but wait a while longer here and someone who's made the change will pop up.

If you are 2009 and earlier, it won't fit as it has the rounded corners of the later dash, but then you'll have a bigger market of double din units

Cheers mine is August 2009 pre facelift model so will take a double din unit?

Tom

Tom
I believe so. You need to be careful with vw and Bluetooth; often the Bluetooth capability is in very expensive plug in modules, not the head unit in itself.

Have you considered something like this for the Bluetooth functionality https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JK0G8KC/?tag=eliteelect-21
I used one, hiding all the wires and it was fab and discreet. £30 for one of those and a replacement rcd200 from eBay for no money and you are sorted. It’s not a very exciting solution but you’ll find it soon gets complicated / expensive sticking with OEM kit. This route keeps your van as it left the showroom which is good because after market kit (Sony etc) isn’t everyone’s cup of tea when you come to sell.

2into1, thanks for that. As the head unit is compromised anyway I am really just looking for a plug in VW head unit that incorporates bluetooth, the VW bluetooth add on seems to cost more than a half decent other brand head unit which already has bluetooth and CD but my concern is to make sure I get one that is cambus friendly or it too will spend the rest of it's life in my cupboard. I am not concerned about resale values as I am in for the long haul.

Would like to watch this thread... Our RCD200 hasn't played CDs for a while and this week the power/volume knob has stopped working...

Would like to watch this thread... Our RCD200 hasn't played CDs for a while and this week the power/volume knob has stopped working...
You are most welcome, your van is similar to mine.

Tom

• Thanks
Reactions: Sad
Hi Tom :)

It might be worth giving the Edinburgh VW van centre a shout and seeing what price they can do. Last time I was in they had a deal on a headunit upgrade.

Alternatively if you fancy troubleshooting your sulky android unit that sounds a fun challenge.

Stuart

Hi Stuart, Edinburgh VW is not my favourite place but thanks for the tip. As for the sulky android, it will remain in the cupboard though I suspect that the error is not in the head unit but the cambus doodah which could be the wrong one as i now understand there are two version or more namely 1.6 and 2.0 but I am now well outside my comfort zone, However, if you are offering............

Tom

Hi Stuart, Edinburgh VW is not my favourite place but thanks for the tip. As for the sulky android, it will remain in the cupboard though I suspect that the error is not in the head unit but the cambus doodah which could be the wrong one as i now understand there are two version or more namely 1.6 and 2.0 but I am now well outside my comfort zone, However, if you are offering............

Tom
My knowledge of canbus is pretty limited so I think my chances of success are slim, but if you know the model of the headunit I'll do some learning!

Tom
Any double din head unit will fit, you'll just need the relevant fascia adapter, wherever you buy the head unit should be able to tell you which adapter you need.
If you go to the Halfords website, once you've chosen a head unit it gives you the option to enter your reg number and it tells you all the bits you need to make it fit (fascia adapter, wiring harnesses etc), and they'll fit it for £30. I bought a Kenwood Android auto unit for my Sprinter work van a couple of years ago this way and it made the whole process very easy.
I bought a high end Pioneer sat nav head unit for our 2009 Cali back in 2012 and it's worked fine, but I'd like to upgrade now and this is the route I'd take.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have found an answer to my issue and post to see if it helps others. I now use Google maps on my phone for navigation anyway so my mobile has become the main item instead of the fitted VW radio/cd player. I have purchased an Anker SoundCore2 which sits neatly on the tray above the console and a) gives me hands free bluetooth phone capability, b) it will interrupt for Google maps instructions and b) it gives me a huge (for me) storage facility for music which is also portable on site. Ipod now redundant! All this for less than £40 and I still have the original FM radio and CD facility - the reason it was malfunctioning was a damaged CD, not the unit. A solution with more facilities for much less than converting the VW unit to Bluetooth - result :) Stuart, you are welcome to the Seicane unit if you can find a use for it.

Back