Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

HELP! Side lights and rear lights wont switch off!

W

willbus

VIP Member
Hi guys

Got a problem with my 2010 5.1 California. Both front side lights, rear lights, reg plate lights and internal instrument lights wont switch off. The light switch is in the 0 position but for some reason when the key is out and the door opens I still get the 'bong' and the lights stay on. I've tried disconnecting the light switch but no joy. Indicator stalk position makes no difference.

Anyone have any ideas? Its starting to drive me mad and my battery is slowly running down.

Cheers!!

I would remove the battery terminal until tomorrow.
Then look into it.

Thanks for the reply. Tried that. Removed the negative for the started - lights still on. Removed the positive and lights still on and alarm kept going off! Must be getting a feed from the leisure batteries

You´ve removed the positive from the starter battery and the lights are still on ?

If its getting a feed from the leasures, hook it up for the night.
Strange one, that.

Done already - have put the starter battery back online and hooked it up. All seems pretty weird to me tho

split charge relay stuck maybe?does your van have that daft ' coming home function that times the lights out when you switch off the engine. can be set for ages them. mines a beach by the way so bit less kit

Nope - usually goes out when the van is locked - I imagine a 'coming home' function that lasts 24 hours would be a little excessive!

Whilst your starter battery was disconnected, did you try the radio
and heater, or even starting it. It sure is weird.
Have you had anything done to the audio system, as in amps or
subs.

While the starter was disconnected the key fob remote worked once then stopped working. lights would come on then go off when the key fob was pressed. Didnt try the radio - too busy getting deafened by the alarm! Do we think this is a Cali / starter / split charge issue then? Cant quite work out how this would affect the lights tho.

Nope - usually goes out when the van is locked - I imagine a 'coming home' function that lasts 24 hours would be a little excessive!
that would be a long driveway

Hi guys

Got a problem with my 2010 5.1 California. Both front side lights, rear lights, reg plate lights and internal instrument lights wont switch off. The light switch is in the 0 position but for some reason when the key is out and the door opens I still get the 'bong' and the lights stay on. I've tried disconnecting the light switch but no joy. Indicator stalk position makes no difference.

Anyone have any ideas? Its starting to drive me mad and my battery is slowly running down.

Cheers!!
How old is the Engine Battery? Is it in good condition?

There´s a few electrical special lads on here, hopefully they´ll be along soon for you.

The airbag warning light popped on about 24 hours before this all started - this has happened before and has been a faulty connection under one of the seats which is usually simple to sort. Wondering if these could in some say be connected now,

Battery may well be tired - hasnt been changed in a long time - had it checked last year and was ok.

sounds like an earth fault. I suppose that's not narrowing it down much though. how about pulling relays or fuses? bit like unplugging everything at home to find out what's the issue. although understand doing this can log many fault codes in the computer.

First separate the leisure side by pulling the 80a fuse near the split charge relay, then try disconnecting the starter battery and see if successfully powering down the bcu fixes it.

Am i right in thinking thats under the fridge sort of area?

Great stuff , disconecting battery and lights working ....taking mine out first thing tomorrow , saving weight!

80amp fuse under the left front seat;)

The airbag warning light popped on about 24 hours before this all started - this has happened before and has been a faulty connection under one of the seats which is usually simple to sort. Wondering if these could in some say be connected now,

Battery may well be tired - hasnt been changed in a long time - had it checked last year and was ok.
If the Battery is original then I would look to replacing it as a first step as a failing battery can cause a wide variety of electrical defects as many systems are controlled by the electronics of the BCM -Body Control Module etc.

If the Battery is original then I would look to replacing it as a first step as a failing battery can cause a wide variety of electrical defects as many systems are controlled by the electronics of the BCM -Body Control Module etc.
But he removed the terminals and the lights still stayed on.
So the lights are powering from somewhere else ? or not ?

But he removed the terminals and the lights still stayed on.
So the lights are powering from somewhere else ? or not ?
Correct, but the Engine Battery also has control over the Split Charge Relay System.
I know that on the T6 and the T5.1 with BlueMotion the Alternator Charging of the Leisure Batteries is a little more sophisticated than a simple relay and there is an element of Electronic Control. I don’t know about a 2010 Vehicle, but I do know a knackered Engine Battery can cause all manner of problems/symptoms on more modern vehicles.

Thanks guys - all seems pretty strange to me - appreciate the responses tho - I'll take just a replacement battery if thats what it turns out to be!!

Correct, but the Engine Battery also has control over the Split Charge Relay System.
I know that on the T6 and the T5.1 with BlueMotion the Alternator Charging of the Leisure Batteries is a little more sophisticated than a simple relay and there is an element of Electronic Control. I don’t know about a 2010 Vehicle, but I do know a knackered Engine Battery can cause all manner of problems/symptoms on more modern vehicles.
Complicated then.

So if I can get this straight - if I disconnect the starter battery then in theory the lights should go off? Ie there should be no connection from the leisures through to the main battery operated electrics?

So if I can get this straight - if I disconnect the starter battery then in theory the lights should go off? Ie there should be no connection from the leisures through to the main battery operated electrics?
Normally not.

Back