Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

HELP! Side lights and rear lights wont switch off!

Update. Took out the 80a fuse under the passenger seat. Then disconnected neg and then positive of the starter battery. Lights still on!!!!

When you say you've disconnected batteries, where are the batteries you've disconnected?

Under bonnet = starter
under passenger seat = habitation 1
under wardrobe = habitation 2

Update. Took out the 80a fuse under the passenger seat. Then disconnected neg and then positive of the starter battery. Lights still on!!!!
This is the circuit. If you have disconnected the Starter Battery and removed the Fuse S, 80 amps then the Leisure and Engine Circuits are separated. If the Lights are still on then there must be a short circuit somewhere.
As far as I am aware the ONLY place the circuits come together, or run closely together is:
1. Under the Drivers Seat LHD
2. Above the Kitchen unit where the Leisure lights and Wiring Loom to the Vehicle rear lights are in proximity
3. Towbar Electrics where wires for trailer lights and a 12v power supply ? From Leisure Batteries May run together.
4. Camping Control Panel that has inputs from both Leisure and Vehicle/Engine electrics.

Any work in any of these areas?
2872AFF6-1D43-40EC-B196-9EDDC7EDED4B.png

Hi there. Thanks loads for that. Ive had no work done to the van for years. The airbag warning light did pop on a few days before this all started - this has happened before and is usually a connection under one of the seats - I have had a chance to sort this yet however. I assumed this was coincidence.

I notice your location Welshgas. Im in Cardiff. Do you know any good autoelectricians in the area who might be able to help. I find Cardiff VW not the most useful!

In theory is there another connection where the hook up charges the starter battery (facelift calis)?

I notice your location Welshgas. Im in Cardiff. Do you know any good autoelectricians in the area who might be able to help. I find Cardiff VW not the most useful!
I agree regarding VW Sinclair. I use VW South Hereford.

The only Autoelectrician I know of has been at the same premises for about 25 yrs. Always seems busy. Used him once some years ago for an Airbag fault on an Alfa.

E40176AE-CB5D-4639-9FD0-72F48A0730BA.jpeg

Thanks for your help! Cant imagine how anyone would know where to start!

Do you find South Hereford good then? Is that the one in Hereford or Whitchurch? Thanks again

Willbus - it wasn't you the other day asking about the broken towing electrics under the back of the van was it?

A short on the towing socket between the 12v+ and the trailer lights circuit as shown on the photo below could cause the rear lights to come on without using the switch.

2018-03-05-08-48-24-jpg.30682

Willbus - it wasn't you the other day asking about the broken towing electrics under the back of the van was it?

A short on the towing socket between the 12v+ and the trailer lights circuit as shown on the photo below could cause the rear lights to come on without using the switch.

2018-03-05-08-48-24-jpg.30682
No, that was a Norwegian member.

No mate - not guilty! Got issue with front and interior lights as well unfortunately! Cheers tho

Ok the only way to turn on the lights without touching the switch is to unlock the van using the remote. I presume that somewhere the central locking module operates a timed relay to operate the lights, sounds like the relay is stuck?

But how it still does it with no battery connected baffles me. Hence the earlier question about which battery you had actually disconected.

I think the only way of disconnecting all the power is to remove the earth(-ve) connection from all three batteries. Then reconnect them one at a time, starting with the engine battery.

Having looked at the circuit diagram WG posted, there is another fuse (S) on the leisure system feeding the split charge relay (R) from battery A1 which may well be leaving one of the two leisure batteries connected.

You may have only pulled out the fuse (S) connected directly to the special vehicle battery A24. I don't know which of the two fuses is the 80 amp one under the seat.

Alan

To completely power down assuming there is an issue with the BCU, you will need to disconnect all the battery negative leads and unplug the alarm sounder as it carries its own rechargeable battery.

Thanks for the replys guys - gonna try and disconnect the batteries when I get a chance. So far she's on hook up which seems to be keeping the battery going!

Any thoughts on the possibility of sticky relay somewhere as a possible suggestion?

To completely power down assuming there is an issue with the BCU, you will need to disconnect all the battery negative leads and unplug the alarm sounder as it carries its own rechargeable battery.
Good point, have no idea where that is.

I think this is a dealer job.

Alan

The plot thickens. Starter went flat this morning (on hookup). Have been away with work unable to look at it. Disconnected all three batteries- lights out (ie no cold fusion!). Starter back on - lights stayed off. Either of the leisure batteries on - lights back on again!! Im guessing some sort of leisure / starter short circuit must be the issue (like mentioned before). At least its drivable at the moment then!

Like alanC says, i think its also a dealer job.

I can´t understand how the starter battery went flat when the power for the sidelights seems
to be coming from the leasure ones.

That´ll be fun trying to explain that one, hope you get to deal with a competent
guy.

Parked it up after a drive. All ok. Then the lights came back on again! no lesiure battery in the system. Disconnected the starter battery. Reconnected All ok for a few seconds then they came back on again!! This is really starting to grind me down!

Back