Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help with a potential California purchase - value, spec, madness?!!?

Max-Felix

Max-Felix

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Looking at a just to market 2006 California (BTW if you know the one please don't flag it up on here before we have made a decision!) ;):D

Was planning to go for a Beach but you can anaylse these things and make it work out to all sorts of conclusions, please read on. :)

So, was looking at finding say a 2 year old Beach - probably cheapest ever might be £26k?? I would need to add a parking heater, kitchen pod, Waeco fridge - that's an extra £2k on top to start.

Or how about a (truly) immaculate, pampered California SE, top spec - 35,000 miles, full VW SH, 175 bhp, auto, climatic AC, remote parking heater, double glazed, parking sensors, our favourite metallic, colour, new VW fitted roof canvas 2 months ago, zero roof corrosion issues, fogs, side airbags, awning, garaged, immaculate paint, new MOT etc. £28k from a dealer with warranty.

Now, my man-maths tells me that selling our two current vehicles and buying this with all things considered actually leaves me £300 year better off assuming no serious mechanicals on all the cars.

Although the Beach is newer it has much less equipment of course and the Cali would be literally buy and South of France here I come.

I'm not new to VW campers but been away from the scene and prices are up, up, up for 15 years now.

Has a 2006 Cali fallen as much as it will go considering a 2003 Westfalia is now £20k - £24k? I could maybe run this for three years and the way prices are going sell it for £25k?

And the equivalent T6 now would be maybe £55k - £60k

But £28k for a 10 year old vehicle that probably cost only £10k more 10 years ago?

HELP!

Just to add, last service was a year ago so due one now, does anyone know the schedule for the 175 tdi and what might be due at 35,000 miles, if it's a major one and likely cost?

Also cambelt/Tiptronic issues and 175 auto fuel consumption?

No cambelt to worry about chain driven. Mine is a manual and a get mid 30s on a run. I have 32000 thousand on clock last service was about £200.00 main dealer with brake fluid change.

Only you can decide. I'd say 28k is top money for a 2006, but not outrageous.

Surely putting the money issue aside for a second you know if you want a Beach or a SE?

As for depreciation it'll be slow, I think they will settle at around 20k in years to come.

TBH a Beach is first choice, issue is they only started in 2012 hence cost and in all likelihood 99% out there will be without parking heater (not to mention EHU, parking sensors, climatic etc) and as for a 175/180 auto forget it...

Anyone else share thoughts on values of this 2006 and maybe something not quite so old?

I know you need a crystal ball but we have all Autumn/Winter to find one so I should not be in too much of a hurry.

If you're not in a rush then do wait for sure. There are always plenty on the market come end of summer.

Back